Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Foot Fetish Content & Discussion » Foot Fetish Talk » "Barefeet" is not a word...is it? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Barefeet" is not a word...is it?
Uno1
Elite Trooper
Member # 2883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uno1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see this all across the Internet from time to time, including in a few places on Wikipedia and, of course, on LL's forum here.

Examples are here, here, and, naturally, here.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what's up: Is it just a common error, or is this supposed to become an official single word in the future (sort of like "storyline" as opposed to "story line")?

Posts: 350 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kani C. Eurphete
Hall Of Famer
Member # 2662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kani C. Eurphete   Author's Homepage   Email Kani C. Eurphete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're probably right. I think they're two, separate words: "bare" "feet"

--------------------
"I do believe they think I am some sort of god!" (C-3PO)

Posts: 2474 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bellathornesolelicker
Hall Of Famer
Member # 2512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bellathornesolelicker   Email bellathornesolelicker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no it isn't but yes it is often used that way. Barefoot is a word but it does seem odd that barefeet isn't being similar to a plural barefoot
Posts: 1837 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A&F_FootDude_05
The King Of Feet
Member # 2999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A&F_FootDude_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny barefoot is one word and its plural, bare feet, are two!

--------------------
If feet are your bottom line, you're gonna get trampled...if women are your bottom line, you're gonna get lovestruck!

~A&F~
Free Image Hosting

Posts: 6117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eusak
Major Player
Member # 14476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eusak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the same thing happening with the term foot play. It's contracted more often than not. I think footplay will become the norm in the future.
Posts: 229 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In German two terms are always joined to form a new word...for example "toe" + "ring" becomes "toering".

Itīs quite practical, in my opinion.

-Hal-

--------------------
More beautiful bare feet at Toes-in-Action and TiA Video Clips

Posts: 6150 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DLipsch
All Pro Poster
Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLipsch   Email DLipsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In English, "bare feet" would be two words and should never be used as one word.

"Bare" is an adjective that describes "feet," which is a noun. For example, "She was walking around with bare feet."

Similarly, "bare foot" would be two words if you're using the word "bare" to describe one particular foot. For example, "She put her bare foot squarely on my cock."

But, "barefoot" is an adjective on its own. For example, "I love seeing barefoot women in the office."

Yes, I am a professional writer/editor, thanks for asking. This grammar lesson was brought to you by the letter F and the number 6.

Cheers,
DL

Posts: 841 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uno1
Elite Trooper
Member # 2883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uno1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the examples, dicklipschitz, though I imagine most here know their adjectives from their nouns (the topic title was used mainly to start conversation).

quote:
Yes, I am a professional writer/editor, thanks for asking.
Congratulations -- that's just what I'm aspiring to be.

Oh and, Sesame Street rocks. [Smile]

Posts: 350 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DLipsch
All Pro Poster
Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLipsch   Email DLipsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uno1:
I imagine most here know their adjectives from their nouns

You'd be surprised ...

quote:
Congratulations -- that's just what I'm aspiring to be.

Good luck with your career aspirations. It's tough to make a living doing it, but if you're able to do it, it'll be rewarding. I've been doing it for about 25 years now.

quote:
Oh, and Sesame Street rocks. [Smile]

Sesame what? I have no idea what you're talking about. [Smile] Seriously, props for the correct use of italics on a title.

Cheers,
DL, the grammarian

Posts: 841 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
footjoyboy
The King Of Feet
Member # 26478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for footjoyboy   Email footjoyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Testing- Sesame Street italics.
Hey, I'm learning new things here. [Laugh]

_fjb_

--------------------
https://pixady.com/image/0893/

Posts: 5992 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrunchlover
All Pro Poster
Member # 21542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrunchlover   Email scrunchlover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything you saw with your mouth can be a word, however not all words are in the dictionary.

--------------------
Just because you're "popular", doesn't mean I have to like you.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dan
Board Regular
Member # 22497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Dan   Email Big Dan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know for sure if its "barefeet" or "bare feet. I just know I like them.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DLipsch
All Pro Poster
Member # 127

quote:
Originally posted by scrunchlover:
Anything you saw with your mouth can be a word, however not all words are in the dictionary.

With all due respect, not really. I can say eeee-yah-ooo-yah-ga-ooo with my mouth. Is that a word?

No, of course not. You can call it an utterance, an ejaculation (yes, really), a grunt, a noise ... but it's not a word. [Smile]

"I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?"

Cheers,
DL

Toetapper
The King Of Feet
Member # 6473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toetapper   Email Toetapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, dicklipschitz, you took the words out of my mouth. Delighted to know there is someone out there who loves the language and knows how to use it.
Posts: 5067 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uno1
Elite Trooper
Member # 2883

It seems you can find this all over, in places both serious and not-so-serious. It would appear that it's been around for years. It may not be an official word now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a generally accepted norm down the line. I'm curious as to whether some people seem to actually prefer the compound version to the correct one. I imagine some of them are guys like us.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links