Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Old-fashioned photography??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old-fashioned photography??
A&F_FootDude_05
The King Of Feet
Member # 2999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A&F_FootDude_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyone out there that despises it as much as I do?? When I say despite it, I don't mean I hate it initself, but the fact that as a Graphic Design major, I still have to learn the old-fashioned way of what I have to do for my career. The old-fashioned days of film processing my hand should be over. Do I feel I should learn about it? Absolutely. (I mean the historical context of it, because it evolved into what I love today, digital photo editing) Do I feel I should have to learn about it by spending 6+ hours a week spending an hour to do something I can do in a fraction of a second on Photoshop? Absolutely not.

--------------------
If feet are your bottom line, you're gonna get trampled...if women are your bottom line, you're gonna get lovestruck!

~A&F~
Free Image Hosting

Posts: 6117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bondo Left         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't like processing film? I did that in high school when I took photography classes, and I thought it was fun. Fumbling around in the dark room, projecting negatives onto photo paper. It's limited compared to the capabilities of digital photography and computer graphics, but it was fun.

Of course at the time I was in high school, digital cameras didn't exist, and computers were more of a novelty than a necessity.

--------------------

Posts: 5329 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jediofthefeet
The Legend
Member # 1463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jediofthefeet   Author's Homepage   Email jediofthefeet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My good man, I understand where you are coming from, but look at it this way. Practitioners of the martial arts know they must "wax on, wax off" (The Karate Kid) and "breathe in, breathe out" (The Adventures of Remo Williams) before they can do any of the amazing moves they hope to do.

It is always good to learn the basics and fundamentals, and also helps to learn history. It would be a slap in the face to the founders, inventors, and pioneers that laid the foundations for the advancements we enjoy today. That which is archaic to us, was not archaic to them.

Furthermore, whenever the tools of the trade are not available to us, it is always good to know how to do things more than one way. If a computer is unable to send a letter, use a fax machine. If the automobile GPS system is down, use a paper map. If the microwave is broken, go out to eat or learn to cook.

Finally, learning the old way of things, helps us learn patience and understanding. By doing things the old way, we can gain a better appreciation of what we have now compared to what they had then.

You should watch some of the reality shows on PBS, such as Manor House, Texas Ranch House, and Frontier House.

--------------------
You must do what you feel is right, of course-Obi Wan Kenobi

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FootManPete
Major Player
Member # 3260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FootManPete   Email FootManPete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jedi of the Feet is a true Jedi -- that's Yoda level wisdom right there man.

I'm doing Animation and Graphic Design myself. At my school taking traditional film classes aren't required, but I was inspired to one day when I saw the departments work at a gallery on campus. I'm glad I did. I learned a lot about the art of photography as Jedi described above, and it was made better by my amazing teacher.

He was a reconnaissance scout in the Marines during the Korean War and moved on to shoot photography for major news papers and magazines like the Associated Press and National Geographic. I can't think of a better photography teacher than that.

--------------------
Tired female feet deserve to be sniffed.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozkar
All Pro Poster
Member # 13264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozkar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you look at it the right way you'd probably like it a lot more. it helps immensely to build intuition about capturing light through old time photography and film processing if only to develop a better understanding the effects of your digital filtering. it also helps you understand the limitations of everything you do when you take a picture. it's only a hobby for me, but because of my main job i have a lot of experience with digital signal processing and morphological mathematics. i think you would find a survey class in either, or just learning about such things on the web is really cool and really inspiring. knowing the motivation behind why anyone cared to invent your more advanced toolkit in the first place just makes you stronger.

if you get in the right mindset about it you can really enjoy old time photography. traditional photography still has a few things going in it's favor...the whole process has a romance to it, every print you make will be completely unique, and a silver atom will always be smaller than a phototransistor.

Posts: 639 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links