Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » I don't get people saying "This is my favourite song" when referring to modern music (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I don't get people saying "This is my favourite song" when referring to modern music
Athena K
All Pro Poster
Member # 33809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Athena K   Email Athena K   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you listened to 'Ramble On' or 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' or 'Sympathy for the Devil' (or *insert classic rock song here*) 'back in the day' to use your favourite saying, you would have gone "It's ok, I guess, but Glen Miller has been around longer. These shmucks should take a leaf out of his book!"

Crap music is made in every decade. The 70s gave us such classics as The Osmonds, The Partridge Famiy and Wings. Don't diss the modern era. There are still people breaking ground and doig something different, they're just not played on the radio. Go listen to some Aussie hip hop.

And I don't say I necessarily like her music - but Lady Gaga is being just as outrageous, political and sensational as the Punks were. Only, the original punks are too old to realise it.
(And the new punks are too stubborn)

[ January 12, 2011, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Athena K ]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Athena K:
So if you listened to 'Ramble On' or 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' or 'Sympathy for the Devil' (or *insert classic rock song here*) 'back in the day' to use your favourite saying, you would have gone "It's ok, I guess, but Glen Miller has been around longer. These shmucks should take a leaf out of his book!"

Crap music is made in every decade. The 70s gave us such classics as The Osmonds, The Partridge Famiy and Wings. Don't diss the modern era. There are still people breaking ground and doig something different, they're just not played on the radio. Go listen to some Aussie hip hop.

And I don't say I necessarily like her music - but Lady Gaga is being just as outrageous, political and sensational as the Punks were. Only, the original punks are too old to realise it.
(And the new punks are too stubborn)

Didn't have the retrospective view on it darling. Then again, it was the dawning of a new genre(s), new ways and means of expressing one's views...a little different to nowadays.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oscarthemonkey
The Legend
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oscarthemonkey   Email oscarthemonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by combine_hunter:
I don't understand how someone could pick just ONE song to be their "favorite". I mean, I've got all sorts of favorites from every band I like. Some bands, I can't even pick a favorite song from individual albums.

Take Rush's Moving Pictures, for example. Every song on there (yes, including "Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs") is awesome. Or Led Zeppelin II; or Paranoid; or Dark Side of the Moon.

As far as Oscar's point goes...there has been a lot of great music since 2000. I could name some examples, but it would get lengthy.

I could name some things I liked as well, but overall the "consciousness" of what poular music has been is pretty bad in my opinion. I also think that the live music scene has been marginal, if anything the 90's had a lot stronger live music scene.

Also- hey ..Athena.I hope you are only referring to Wings post-1976....

--------------------
Latina Feet Can't Be Beat!

Posts: 4819 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oscarthemonkey:
Also- hey ..Athena.I hope you are only referring to Wings post-1976....

Mmmmm. lol Me too.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for combine_hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think of it that way, Athena. [Laugh]

An example: Keith Richards' iconic riff in "Satisfaction" was meant to be played on a horn, because he was inspired by James Brown's horn section at the time.

Posts: 2828 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nusuth
The Legend
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nusuth   Author's Homepage   Email nusuth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
punk? classic rock?? PFFFFTTT.. its all utter shit anyway. if you want to talk about timeless and true artistry of music, you are about 100 years too late. you want real music look to mozart, mendel, or bach... hell even stravinsky.

or to put it another way.. as Athena said.. its perspective. punk was a joke in the 70's. madonna was a joke in the 80's... and gaga is kind of a joke now. maybe she still will be in 20 years, but we wont know til then. besides, your idea of timeless is just an opinion. i used to feel the same way and was kind of elitist about music and stuff but opened my mind and realized it's all opinion anyway and it honestly doesnt matter to anyone but yourself. i mean who's to say that your opinion is more right than mine when it comes to the beatles? and who cares?

--------------------
 -
Follow us on Twitter!

Posts: 4855 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
Originally posted by nusuth:
punk? classic rock?? PFFFFTTT.. its all utter shit anyway. if you want to talk about timeless and true artistry of music, you are about 100 years too late. you want real music look to mozart, mendel, or bach... hell even stravinsky.

or to put it another way.. as Athena said.. its perspective. punk was a joke in the 70's. madonna was a joke in the 80's... and gaga is kind of a joke now. maybe she still will be in 20 years, but we wont know til then. besides, your idea of timeless is just an opinion. i used to feel the same way and was kind of elitist about music and stuff but opened my mind and realized it's all opinion anyway and it honestly doesnt matter to anyone but yourself. i mean who's to say that your opinion is more right than mine when it comes to the beatles? and who cares?

Well that's a topic-ender XP

If we were to go with that philosophy then no one's political opinion can be counted or opinions on what's morally right and wrong, what's interesting and boring, what's genius and what's madness, good ideas, bad ideas, hobbies...it all should never be talked about/discussed if put under that veil.

Opinions make the world go 'round bruddah.

Bloody guys who meet their ladies online [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

Edit: Punk was a joke in the 70s? Never heard that one...perhaps in the 80s.

--------------------
 -

FootLongSub Zero
The Outcast
Member # 19380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FootLongSub Zero   Email FootLongSub Zero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alot of you seem to seem to have a deep sense of culture when it comes to music. Mainstream pop music is what I grew up with, whatever was playing mainstream tv/radio at that time. What I consider music is more on a shollower level, usually baised on a few factors;

- Whatever sounds catchy (like it when I first hear it, usually a simple melody, bassline, or phrase),

- Feeling linkage (having a case of nostalgia)

- Great music video (Some songs that you don't really take notice of until you see the video and can swing your mood. This can also work backwards, you like a song but when you see and don't like the vid, you hate it.)

- Movies (Songs/instrumentals in them)

- Repetativeness (drilled in). This is the one I hate the most, a song you don't like or can't stand but hearing it enough times, you start to like it. [Nut Kick]

In this sense, most of the music I like would be considered rubbish to most of you, but it floats my boat [Smile] .

--------------------
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr Emmit L. Brown (Back To The Future)

Posts: 7894 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

"When there are no more categorizations; when there are no more 'n****rs', no more 'whites', when there`s just 'people', you know, when there`s no more "punks" when there`s no more 'dirt', that is when everything is gonna be OK." - Sid Vicious

How is that not more powerful than fucking "Gaga ooh la la" or whatever other shit has been produced in the last 20 years?

[ January 13, 2011, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Andy-Laa ]

--------------------
 -

nusuth
The Legend
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nusuth   Author's Homepage   Email nusuth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If we were to go with that philosophy then no one's political opinion can be counted or opinions on what's morally right and wrong, what's interesting and boring, what's genius and what's madness, good ideas, bad ideas, hobbies...it all should never be talked about/discussed if put under that veil.
comparing people's opinion on moral values or situation is a far cry from music. [Laugh] i agree that different opinions make the world a varied and interesting place.. what i argue against is the judgmental tones these opinions take. when one devalues someone else's opinions, that's when conflict begins. condemning a decade or more of music because it doesn't meet your arbitrary standards and invalidating other's opinion is an invitation for an argument.. not a discussion. if you are looking for a discussion, you need to make a less inflammatory comment.

--------------------
 -
Follow us on Twitter!

Posts: 4855 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for combine_hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So saying punk and classic rock is "utter shit" was meant tongue-in-cheek? [Laugh]

I don't compare rock (and all it's subgenres) to classical, because that's a no-win situation.

It's like trying to convince a Beatles fan that anybody in the past 40 years has written better music. It's bloody impossible.

Posts: 2828 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
quote:
comparing people's opinion on moral values or situation is a far cry from music. [Laugh] i agree that different opinions make the world a varied and interesting place.. what i argue against is the judgmental tones these opinions take. when one devalues someone else's opinions, that's when conflict begins. condemning a decade or more of music because it doesn't meet your arbitrary standards and invalidating other's opinion is an invitation for an argument.. not a discussion. if you are looking for a discussion, you need to make a less inflammatory comment.
I was just pointing towards the fact that there's no defined lines as to which opinions matter and which don't. Freedom of speech is sound and I like to push boundaries.

I'm an outspoken guy. I'm from Liverpool. It's kinda the way here...Someone feels strongly enough they can call me all the names under the sun if they like - I don't give a shit. It's people who have these strong opinions that can make a difference - even if only with small stuff. You wouldn't have stood up against me had I not said it and I see that as a very positive thing. Too many are passive by-standers.

Is there really a defined difference between debate and argument? As far as I'm concerned if I can go to sleep of a night without thinking someone made me feel like shit with something they said, it was a debate. I'll take as good as I give and am all for it - makes it very interesting.

I haven't lost any sleep as of yet...

EDIT: I dip into the classics now and then btw.

[ January 13, 2011, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Andy-Laa ]

--------------------
 -

nusuth
The Legend
Member # 7372

quote:
So saying punk and classic rock is "utter shit" was meant tongue-in-cheek?
absolutely. [Laugh] i grew up with classic rock and it still has a place on my music list. punk.. not so much.

quote:
I'm an outspoken guy. I'm from Liverpool. It's kinda the way here...Someone feels strongly enough they can call me all the names under the sun if they like - I don't give a shit. It's people who have these strong opinions that can make a difference - even if only with small stuff.
exactly. hitler had very strong opinions and his impact was pretty world wide. my point is, bully for you for being so opinionated and having the confidence to express it, but try to do it in a way that wont demean other people and encourages an exchange of ideas. making people feel defensive and belittled most times will not result in an intelligent conversation. there is a huge difference between arguments and discussions. a debate requires respect and an open mind. an argument is banging your head into a wall.

quote:
Freedom of speech is sound and I like to push boundaries.
how interesting. you make an argument online about music and call it pushing boundaries. gaga does it with music and videos distributed worldwide promoting acceptance of sexual preferences and individuality and it's rubbish. i wonder who will make a difference.

--------------------
 -
Follow us on Twitter!

combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

Thanks for clearing that up, nusuth. [Laugh]

I grew up with grunge, I guess. Then I started listening to Rush after picking up the guitar. The rest is history.

Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
absolutely. [Laugh] i grew up with classic rock and it still has a place on my music list. punk.. not so much.

quote:
I'm an outspoken guy. I'm from Liverpool. It's kinda the way here...Someone feels strongly enough they can call me all the names under the sun if they like - I don't give a shit. It's people who have these strong opinions that can make a difference - even if only with small stuff.
exactly. hitler had very strong opinions and his impact was pretty world wide. my point is, bully for you for being so opinionated and having the confidence to express it, but try to do it in a way that wont demean other people and encourages an exchange of ideas. making people feel defensive and belittled most times will not result in an intelligent conversation. there is a huge difference between arguments and discussions. a debate requires respect and an open mind. an argument is banging your head into a wall.

quote:
Freedom of speech is sound and I like to push boundaries.
how interesting. you make an argument online about music and call it pushing boundaries. gaga does it with music and videos distributed worldwide promoting acceptance of sexual preferences and individuality and it's rubbish. i wonder who will make a difference.

I'm not claiming to be a visionary. I just don't believe in molly-coddling people over a thing thing such as music. Let everyone have their say and let them say it how they want - it's not like I'm shitting the bed if someone's going to say I'm wrong. I provide what supporting evidence is at hand, so my statements aren't just baseless.

And I heard on QI that the person who mentions Hitler in a debate/argument/whatever you want to call it is considered to have instantly lost because you really can apply that man to any situation in any context. Mentioning him is irrelevant to a vast majority of things. A very good example I can use is one of his quotes (I can't directly remember it, so I'll paraphrase it):

"If one takes away a man's freedom outright, then that man will fight back. If one removes minute freedoms over a long period of time until there are none left,that man wont remember what freedom is" - it was something very similar to that, I apologise for it not being the proper quote.

You're telling me how I should say something - trying to take away that minute freedom I had. I'd say that's closer to Hitler were I that way inclined (my point being mentioning him is pointless, not you're trying to take away my freedoms btw).

I'm fairly certain that the majority of (non-religious) people kind of accept homosexuals/people who practise "different" sexual acts nowadays - I don't really think Gaga is the leader in sexual equality if I'm totally honest. Bit like me singing a song about people who lie in on Sundays...who cares? And if you're a violent anti-gay prick, a song you hear on the radio about it isn't going to change you...

And I'm one to believe everybody deserves respect; I don't believe myself to be superior or inferior to anyone - got mates from all socio-economic backgrounds and all different opinions/music tastes. I'm not exaggerating when I say my *best* mate and I have essentially zero in common, especially politically. And he wanks over Gaga.

EDIT: in fact, scrap that last point - the woman I love more than ANYTHING, Athena, disagrees with me about this stuff haha. I don't look down on her because of it.

If someone doesn't like my opinions, then don't read them, ignore them or counter them. The latter is preferred, so as to spark something interesting and possibly worthwhile (look at what we're doing now).

Increase the peace.

-

[ January 14, 2011, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Andy-Laa ]

--------------------
 -

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links