Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Who's on Windows 10?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's on Windows 10?
hyperion
The Legend
Member # 39397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hyperion   Email hyperion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like Windows 8.1 but with new bugs! OK, it's faster (?) but here's a list of my issues:

I had to reinstall the touchpad driver. C'mon guys, Lenovo is the biggest brand, and Synaptics...who the &^%#! else makes touchpads? Why did I have to go hunting for the driver?

There's still no driver for the graphics card. Really MS and AMD, you've had 3 years to work on this. All you've done is volley blame around.

My machine would crash & restart every time I closed and reopened the lid. I figured out how to fix this, but that's a stupid and avoidable problem.

After coming out of sleep mode, Firefox fails to connect to the network, and then crashes. Just Firefox. Mozilla will probably come out with an update, but sheesh. Like I want to login to 50 things every morning over and over.

I didn't mind the start screen in Win 8. I do find it funny how Win 10 gives you Mac-like desktop space features.

But my original Win 8 complaint still stands: Don'my make my laptop look and work like a mobile device--If I wanted to use a mobile device I would. I bought a PC laptop because I needed a PC laptop.

Oh, and WINDOWS 7 IS A GREAT OPERATING SYSTEM! IT DID NOT NEED TO BE UPGRADED OR CHANGED!!!!

Any thoughts from you guys?

--------------------
-hyp

Posts: 3723 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneagain
Hall Of Famer
Member # 35859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I converted 4 machines from win 7 pro to win 10 pro.

At first I regretted it as win 7 was functioning faster...but I have to admit after a few updates, the machine speed is fine and I no longer play. To revert to win 7.

I skipped win8.1. I created a virtual.machine with it and those times suck. At least with win 10 you can remove all the tiles and have a somewhat classic mode.

I have grown accustom to finding things...I love the win key-x feature with many tools that I use right in one spot.

Only bad experience I am having is one machine keeps failing to update a Windows defender update and the service doesn't start so I needed to get another av. I tried all sorts of suggested fixes with no luck. I plan on trying the restore feature and hope it fixes things. There is a chance my hdd is the problem.

At first chrome was lagging but now it fires up quickly. The edge browser is a modern touch but I still use chrome. I bailed on Firefox ages ago when they started to get bloated like Netscape navigator had become.

As for drivers, you need to ensure you got the latest bios and device drivers from the manufacturer.

I certainly recommend win 10...

Posts: 2341 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FootLongSub Zero
The Outcast
Member # 19380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FootLongSub Zero   Email FootLongSub Zero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not too interested in it. It will probably be the standard on my next laptop purchase. The household laptop set up in a permanent spot is running Windows 7 and my personal spank bank PC is still on good ol' XP lol [Big Grin]

I'm sounding like an old fuddy duddy but.......
[Thumbs Up] XP ROCKS!!! [Thumbs Up] [Big Grin]

[ September 04, 2015, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: FootLongSub Zero ]

--------------------
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr Emmit L. Brown (Back To The Future)

Posts: 7894 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneagain
Hall Of Famer
Member # 35859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey FLSZ, I still have XP boxes(also have dos 3.0,win3.1, 95, 98!) and I dreaded going to win 7, but I noticed a world of difference.

My xp box runs out of virtual.memory even though it is idle.

A beef I forgot to mention with win 10 is they broke the search feature I came to like in win 7. It's got that Damn cortana web search. Even when I say only my stuff it doesn't find the app I need.

Other than that...win 10 as righted many past wrongs from Microsoft. What worries me is if they go to cloud service based and they bleed users..

Posts: 2341 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hyperion
The Legend
Member # 39397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hyperion   Email hyperion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, I'd love to get my hands on a copy of Win 3.1. I also have an XP box so I can play Ultimate Doom for Windows 95. Frag on!

Why call it "cortana?" What was wrong with "search?" Stupid marketers.

--------------------
-hyp

Posts: 3723 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robotron2084
The Legend
Member # 33263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robotron2084   Email Robotron2084   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I built my current PC with Windows 8 in mind. Got that liked it after a while and upgraded to Win 8.1. Like that too after a while.

Took the bait on Win 10 and only my wireless adapter doesn't work. I'm back to wired for now and it's totally no big deal. Overall if you machine is fairly current I'd get it.

--------------------
Starkey
F.N.F.G.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fby1k

Posts: 2788 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneagain
Hall Of Famer
Member # 35859

What adapter make you have? My linksys usb adapters didn't need drivers...win 10 recognized it.

A nice thing about win 10 is they made the requirements not so bad. If you have a system 15 years old it probably will be an issue, but they removed a lot of the extra bloat and carp most users don't need. As long as you have at least a dual core cpu around 3ghz and 4 gigs of ram nd 250g hd, you should be good to go.

I deliberately bought some older machines priced around 80-100 bucks off of eBay and Amazon that had win 7 pro on it and did the free upgrade. Highly recommend others to do the same.

Robotron2084
The Legend
Member # 33263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robotron2084   Email Robotron2084   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneagain:
[QB] What adapter make you have? My linksys usb adapters didn't need drivers...win 10 recognized it.

Cisco branded Linksys AE1200. I try to update often and visit the website, but no driver is available so far.

Before I built this PC I spent many years with wired access. I prefer an Ethernet connection, but the cable's location creates an eyesore for my wife. [Smile]

--------------------
Starkey
F.N.F.G.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fby1k

Posts: 2788 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneagain
Hall Of Famer
Member # 35859

I was a lan man myself for the longest time...but since I got a kick ads linksys router powerhouse and replaced my 54g...I got these ac speed usb adapters and I am pulling huge speeds, 780 mbps on one win 10 box.

Odd why you having issues as win 10 detected the device and put in drivers without a hitch. You may want to check your motherboard firmware for a possible driver or bus enhancement.

So the win 7 driver isnt working?

Mommie
The Legend
Member # 18340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mommie   Author's Homepage   Email Mommie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I let Microsoft tempt me so good... I fell hook, line and sinker.
We have 3 desktops (all Dell) (that are old school enough that they will not run anything higher than XP.) Upgrading them was out of the realm of possibilities.
I love XP Pro and can troubleshoot most issues I have encountered in the past while running that system. I had no complaints nor did I have the desire to upgrade. Why fix what isn't broken, right?!
Yet I took the bait for our 3 laptops (all Dell). I submitted my upgrade request on two of the laptops on the same day. My old man's puter was upgraded pretty quickly, within 2 weeks of the rollout via Microsoft. My laptop was still waiting two weeks after his updated so I found a link and manually completed the update.
The process was relatively quick and painless. Any caveman could follow the directions!
Things do look different. It is now app based and I can see how some users may like this. Personally I could care less.
Everything was in the system that was there before, you just have to get used to it being set up more like a cell phone than a computer (PC or laptop).
One thing that was not there that Microsoft actually removed with XP Service Pack 3 was Windows Movie Maker. Over the years it is the one go to video editor I use. Simple and sweet yet gets my jobs done well. I was able to Google it and find that Microsoft offers it as a free download.
Overall my experience thus far has been good. [Thumbs Up]

--------------------
"Though she be but little, she is fierce!" ~ William Shakespeare

-
http://instagram.com/som3thingwick3d/

Posts: 3935 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links