There seem to be a lot of people having avatar issues lately, so here's a basic outline of the steps to be followed in order to use your own custom avatar on the forum:
1) Find a picture that you'd like to use for your custom avatar.
2) If it's already an appropriate size for an avatar, great. If it isn't, resize it using a photo/graphics editor.
3) Upload your avatar image to a good image host. I recommend Photobucket, but basically any image host that allows you to remote link images should work well. Once you upload your image, you'll be given a direct link URL for it.
4) Go to your profile here on Wu's, and click "Edit Profile".
5) Scroll down and click on where it says "Select a different Avatar Image".
6) In the new window that pops up, enter your custom avatar's direct link URL into the text box at the bottom of the page, and then click the "Set URL" button right next to it.
7) You should now see your avatar image appear in the upper lefthand corner of the page. Click on the "Select This Avatar" button right under it.
8) This will close the pop-up window and return you to your "Edit Profile" page. You should now see your avatar image there on that page next to the words "Select a different Avatar Image".
9) If everything's to your satisfaction, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Update Profile", and you should be all done.
Feel free to contact me if you encounter any problems along the way and need assistance.