Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Hobbies/Interests » Sports/Wrestling/MMA » National Pro Wrestling Discussion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: National Pro Wrestling Discussion
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for National     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got some questions to ask everyone. Your answers to these questions are based on your opinions and beliefs.

-- As of now, RAW averages a 3.3 in the Nielsen Ratings. Do you think those numbers will be better by this time next year?

-- Of all wrestlers who are still active, whose matches would you spend the entire day watching? Pick one.

**Even though Shawn Michaels just retired, I'll still include him in this topic; so if you want, you can pick him.**

-- Assuming Vince McMachon is the most powerful man in professional wrestsling, name the next five.

-- Should WWEs NXT be restricted to those who are under 30 years of age?

-- What's your take on the idea of RAW having celebrities host the show every week?

A. I like it. Leave it as is.
B. Abolish it completely.
C. They should have a celeb host the show every once in a while.

-- Assuming the WWE Championship is the most prestigious title in North America (the one currently defended on RAW with John Cena as its champion), name the next five.

National

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2501 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iohannes Volk
The Legend
Member # 13384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iohannes Volk   Email Iohannes Volk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-I personally think the numbers will remain about the same, unless the WWE's writers just begin to completely take a dump on the storylines...which has happened before. They never even bother to have quality for everyone, which is a shame.

-I'll consider Shawn Michaels retired, so asides from him, obviously, it has to be Chris Jericho. He really is the best in the world at what he does, and what he does is wrestle good matches with everyone, regardless of who he is. CM Punk comes a close second.

-Probably just Triple H, he's being groomed to be next in line. TNA is such a clusterfuck in the back at the moment with Bischoff, Hogan, Jarrett, etc. having all their fingers in the cookie jar at once.

-I think so, the younger guys will provide longevity. Many of the major guys in the company right now (Edge, Cena, Orton, Jericho, Triple H) all started from their early to mid twenties. The young guys are able to give you more.

-I'm personally getting sick of it, but once in awhile you get that quality host that makes you think that this is what they really wanted to get out of it. If they have to have guest hosts, it needs to be very sporadically, and preferably either a former wrestler or a real-life wrestling fan.

-After the WWE Championship, it's probably the World Heavyweight Championship (technically equal, but since it's on Smackdown, it becomes a notch lower. Whatever is on RAW is the most important one.), United States Championship (because it's RAW), Intercontinental Championship, and happily, the Unified Tag Team Championships, now that they're actually placing some focus on it. I couldn't tell you who the champion is on TNA, and from what I understand, it's taking a back seat to whatever the ex-WCW guys are doing. At any rate, even if it wasn't on RAW at the moment, the US title is above the IC title because the US Champion is The Miz, and he's being pushed much more than his counterpart, Drew McIntyre.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explosivo57
Elite Trooper
Member # 14342

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explosivo57   Email Explosivo57   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3.3 as long as John Cena continues to sell t-shirts

Santino makes me Laugh, Punk is awesome on the Mic, Jericho is one of the best around and I LOVE Daniel(son) Bryan.

Triple H and Undertaker have the most political power, Stephanie McMahon because shes in control of creative, Eric Bischoff and Hulk for controlling TNA and making it a suckier WCW. Dixie Carters seems to have no idea what shes doing so she hired those two bozos.

I only watch NXT so I can hear the next dumb thing Michael Cole has to say

Get hosts who actually know and follow wrestling and no more Hornswaggle please

World Heavyweight, US title,intercontinental titlel, TNA world title
ROH world title, and because I'm a huge mark, Chikara's Young Lions cup

I like the NXT concept, I just think most of the guys are too green and I hate the way they are treating Danielson. Hes one of my favorite indie wrestlers ever and I think he can translate well in to the WWE style. His mic skills are pretty bare bones but his Heel work was awesome in ROH, just like Punk and his "Im straightedge and that means I'm better than you" gimmick.

--------------------
Yeah! like the big toe is like the captain of the toes, but sometimes the toe next to the big toe gets so
big that there's like a power struggle and the second toe assumes control of the foot.

Posts: 336 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for National     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like these answers. Now for my take.

1. I think the numbers will be a bit higher at this time next year. I'd say 3.5. The WWE will not be impressed with itself if it remained at the same ratings level as it does now. That company makes way too much money for it to settle on the idea of being equal to what it is today. Vince McMahon is a marketing genius. He will figure out a way to get more people to watch. The WWE is in SERIOUS works of coming out with its own cable network by September of next 2011. Assuming this goes down, they will hype it up for months leading up to its launch, which will get more people interested to watch. But before all of that, they will need a HUGE star to play a prominent role in a stroyline leading up to WrestleMania XXVII. In addition, that event will need a blockbuster match to garner more interest. They need The Rock to do one more match, this time against Cena at WrestleMania or have Cena face The Undertaker at the event. I really think they will listen to the fans and cater to their needs more over the next twelve months. They are letting their younger stars rise up further on the company's ladder of success. By listening to their fanbase, we could see some more of their younger stars take a step closer towards the top. I don't see them reaching the 4.0 mark unless they turn edgy again.

2. Other than Shawn Michaels, my pick will be Triple H. Triple H's matches were better when he was a heel. Even better when he had Ric Flair by his side. If I were a wrestler, my style of wrestling would be like that of a Triple H. I love to see some of his matches end when someone comes in to interfere with what was going on. As much as I appreciate Jericho's contribution to the industry, I feel Triple H puts on a more entertaining match.

3. Stephanie McMachon, John Laurinaitis, Triple H, Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff.

For those who don't know, John Laurinaitis is the Executive Vice President of the Talent Relations department in the WWE. For those in the indepedent market in pro wrestling, wishing to make it in the WWE once day, John is the guy who pretty much has the final word as to whether he's "WWE" ready. Vince and Stephanie rely in his words heavily and will take him by his words. Of course not everyone works out to be what the WWE thought he was going to be, but John Laurinaitis is the most feared (or respected) guy for the wrestlers who are hoping to make it to the Major League level of pro wrestling. Before you get to Vince, you have to get through John first.

4. I, too, think NXT should be restricted to those under 30. The only reason why the veterans are on the show is to get more people to watch that program. The veterans are becoming a distraction when that show is supposed to be based on these stars who are on the rise. I guess WWE feels that without these veterans, the show will get lower numbers in the ratings.

5. With the General Manager concept, I think it should run its course for a little longer before they can it completely. I feel that WWE should at least do a much better job of screening out potential hosts because a lot of them looked like fools out there. The ones who I would like to see brought back are Maria Menounos and Nancy O'Dell. I will be surprised if this thing continues to play its course by WrestleMania XXVII. By that time I would be sick of it.

6. In my opinion the World Heavyweight Title is the biggest prize in the game. But since that title is defended on Smackdown, I put it below the WWE Championship. But I can certainly understand why the WWE Championship is regarded as the higer prize because of its lineage which traces back to 1963, I believe. The World Title has been in use for about eight years. The reason why I would rather win the World Title than the WWE Championship is because the World Title has been excusive property to Raw for the first several years, and since Raw is the flagship program, I always placed that belt on a higher pedestal. And because it's the replica of the WCW/NWA world championships that has a linage that can be traced back to the 1940s (perhaps back to 1903). I guess some people can be argue that the World Heavyweight Title has little to do in direct connection with the NWA World Heavyweight Title. That's a story for another day.

But to answer the question, the World Title is second, TNA World Championship. Then the Unified Tag Team titles, and last is the United States championship. That Intercontinental title is a waste. After mid-1996, that belt meant little to nothing for me.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2501 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iohannes Volk
The Legend
Member # 13384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iohannes Volk   Email Iohannes Volk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, I love Jack Swagger as the new World Heavyweight Champion. Young and somewhat unproven? Of, no doubt, but hey, he deserved that more than Sheamus (who's solid right now) did, if you ask me, and Smackdown really needed new heels. Since Taker will probably be taking his customary 3-4 month post-Wrestlemania break, Smackdown is gonna need some more depth to complement the core of Jericho, Edge, Punk, Mysterio, Morrison, and now Swagger. It's too bad one, or two, from this list will end up on RAW come the draft.
Posts: 2681 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam X
The Legend
Member # 2872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam X   Email Adam X   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got some questions to ask everyone. Your answers to these questions are based on your opinions and beliefs.

-- As of now, RAW averages a 3.3 in the Nielsen Ratings. Do you think those numbers will be better by this time next year? - It might be but RAW usually floats around 3-4's anyways.

-- Of all wrestlers who are still active, whose matches would you spend the entire day watching? Pick one. - Kurt Angle.

**Even though Shawn Michaels just retired, I'll still include him in this topic; so if you want, you can pick him.**

-- Assuming Vince McMachon is the most powerful man in professional wrestsling, name the next five. - Bischoff, Hogan, Austin, Rock and Heyman(TNA will need him).

-- Should WWEs NXT be restricted to those who are under 30 years of age? - Yes

-- What's your take on the idea of RAW having celebrities host the show every week? - Outdated.

-- Assuming the WWE Championship is the most prestigious title in North America (the one currently defended on RAW with John Cena as its champion), name the next five. - Anything but the womens titles and tag titles.

--------------------
I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!

Posts: 2809 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joebond
Hall Of Famer
Member # 11049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joebond   Email joebond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

-- As of now, RAW averages a 3.3 in the Nielsen Ratings. Do you think those numbers will be better by this time next year? Probably the same,they have really no one that makes you want to tune in...

-- Of all wrestlers who are still active, whose matches would you spend the entire day watching? Pick one.The Undertaker

-- Assuming Vince McMachon is the most powerful man in professional wrestsling, name the next five.In no particular order=Triple H,Hogan,Jeff Jarrett,Linda &Stephanie...

-- Should WWEs NXT be restricted to those who are under 30 years of age?Cant bring myself to sit through a whole episode...

-- What's your take on the idea of RAW having celebrities host the show every week?C

-- Assuming the WWE Championship is the most prestigious title in North America (the one currently defended on RAW with John Cena as its champion), name the next five.

--------------------
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money"
Pablo Picasso

Posts: 1192 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

quote:
Originally posted by Salvy_Mic:
By the way, I love Jack Swagger as the new World Heavyweight Champion. Young and somewhat unproven? Of, no doubt, but hey, he deserved that more than Sheamus (who's solid right now) did, if you ask me, and Smackdown really needed new heels. Since Taker will probably be taking his customary 3-4 month post-Wrestlemania break, Smackdown is gonna need some more depth to complement the core of Jericho, Edge, Punk, Mysterio, Morrison, and now Swagger. It's too bad one, or two, from this list will end up on RAW come the draft.

I agree, Mic. Smackdown is in serious need to revamp their roster somewhat. By making Swagger it's World Champion, WWE is continuing the trend of having both of its world champions be about 5-6 years younger than the TNA world champion over the last few years. I don't have the numbers with me that give the average ages of these champions, but I do remember reading that stat somewhere and I did not question its credibility because I'm an avid wrestling fan, and I take their word for it. The WWE is really listening to their fans as to how much these mid carders need to be pushed.

Raw is always stacked with bigger stars than Smackdown. But the blue brand show is headed in the right direction with Swagger at the top of the roster as champion. It creates new storylines that will be a little more unpredictable for the fans to decipher. I think it won't be too long before he loses the belt to Chris Jericho. I could've said Edge, but if I were writing the plots and storylines, I will not have him hold that belt just yet. Part of it is because I like him better as a heel. But we'll see how they go with this.

--National

--------------------
 -

National
The Legend
Member # 8568

And to respond to what joebond said, I can't bring myself to watch an entire episode of NXT either. I saw the first episode of it, then I lost interest. I also agree with Explosivo in that I hate the way they're using Danielson, too. I think that's a big insult to wrestling fans. He's a ROOKIE? Umm ... okay. Let's hope they don't waste his talents.

--National

--------------------
 -

Iohannes Volk
The Legend
Member # 13384

I think Danielson will be all right, out of any of the rookies on that show, he's the one with the most heat behind him, meaning the fans enjoy watching him. The guy's a masterful technician, knows how to tell a story, he's got it all except for the natural Rock-like mic skills, really. But other than that, I don't really watch NXT either. Saw one episode, and it was alright.
Explosivo57
Elite Trooper
Member # 14342

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explosivo57   Email Explosivo57   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKNzuGwto6I&feature=related

I got to meet Bryan last year, he was really down to earth
If you want really good wrestling, watch his matches against Kenta, Samoa Joe and Austin Aries

--------------------
Yeah! like the big toe is like the captain of the toes, but sometimes the toe next to the big toe gets so
big that there's like a power struggle and the second toe assumes control of the foot.

Posts: 336 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

One thing I've noticed on just about all the chatforums and message boards I've clicked through are growing complaints about WWEs family-friendly direction.

Despite this apparent undercurrent of unhappiness among fans, Raw continues to pull ratings in the mid-threes. Compared to WWFs heyday of the late-90s, a 3.4 or 3.6 may not seem special. But these days they're the best a wrestling promotion can hope for. Just ask Dixie Carter, whose Impact struggles week after week to reach the 1.0 mark.

Fans long for the days when Sable and Terri Runnels ran around in outfits that tested the laws of gravity and binding properties of tape, but the lack of competition in the wrestling wars suggest to me that this situation is not going to change anytime soon.

A sampling of opinions in the Internet suggests that once this year's election is over and the McMahons no longer have to concern themselves with television content becoming an issue for Linda's senate bid, the PG-13 rating will be a thing of the past. Unfortunately, that's not the case. WWE cleaned up its act for two reasons:

-- To increase advertising revenue.
-- To increase its younger fan base.

Walking the straight-and-narrow made the WWE MUCH more palatable to corporate sponsors such as Pepsi Max, 7-Eleven, the Army National Guard, and Proctor & Gamble. And also to parents who might have been reluctant to bring their younger children to WWE events or watch them on TV.

It's kind of funny to hear Vince refer to TNA as "tawdry" when there would've been a WWE today had it not been for the Attitude Era that was introduced in the late-1990s.

So how does this look for the future? Simply put, WWEs conscience is guided by profits. If Vince deems the current path to be more profitable one, nothing will change. On the other had, should TNA increase on their ratings, and become confident that it should compete with Raw on Monday nights again, all bets are off.

--National

--------------------
 -

Explosivo57
Elite Trooper
Member # 14342

speaking of PG WWE, thats the reason why my boy Danielson was fired today, cause he choked Justin Roberts with his tie and the E thinks its gonna cause kids to choke each other now

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links