Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Hobbies/Interests » Sports/Wrestling/MMA » An NFL Playoff Question. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An NFL Playoff Question.
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for National     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check this out:

Last season, of the twelve teams that made the playoffs, five of them were not in it the year before. In fact, in each of the last fifteen seasons, there have been at least five new teams to make the playoffs.

Assuming that this trend continues, which five teams that made the playoffs this past season do you feel won't make the playoffs in the upcoming season?

My picks are the Chiefs, Ravens, Seahawks, Bears, and the Saints.

-- National

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2501 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iohannes Volk
The Legend
Member # 13384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iohannes Volk   Email Iohannes Volk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap, can't believe I didn't get around to this thread sooner. It'll be the Chiefs, the Bears, the Seahawks, the Colts, and the Falcons that I'd say don't make the playoffs. The Chargers should win the AFC West pretty handily, the Packers are gonna run away with the NFC North, the Saints will win the NFC South, either the Rams or 49ers will win the NFC West, and the Texans will finally get to win the AFC South in a half-Manning season for the Colts.

I have the Patriots, Ravens, Chargers, and Texans winning their divisions in the AFC with the Jets and the Steelers getting the wild cards. Meanwhile, the Eagles, Packers, Rams, and Saints win their NFC divisions, with the Cowboys and Lions getting the wild cards.

Patriots face the Packers for the Super Bowl in an absolute shootout.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for National     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it was Chris Collensworth who said that the MVP should be Peyton Manning. He said he (Manning) is the difference why the Colts are 0-3, as opposed to 3-0 had he been directing the team.

That's quite obvious. It's not just pointing out the obvious that should stand out. To illustrate Collensworth's point, he reminded us that in the 2008 season, the Patriots won eleven games without Brady, when Matt Cassel was the QB. Let us not forget that without Big Ben, the Steelers won three games before he returned from his suspension. Those teams should that they can win without those guys. But the Colts can't find an answer to anything without Manning.

I made my predictions before the season started. Had I known Manning was not going to play this year, the Colts would've been one of my choices as well.

----

On another note, I think that Partiots/Bills game was fixed. Someone must've told the Pats to throw that game. Brady throws four interceptions all of last season(excluding the playoffs), but he throws four picks in one game (I don't think one of those interceptions was his fault).

The Patriots and Packers will be a ratings sensation! Tom's legacy will take a serious, serious hit if he loses that game to Rodgers.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2501 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forced2smelll
Board Regular
Member # 34874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced2smelll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont know...the raiders look surprisingly good and i keep hearing theyre favored to beat the pats this weekend
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fwrinkledsoles
Hall Of Famer
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fwrinkledsoles   Email Fwrinkledsoles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sad but my hometown team I think will not make the play off this year, Atlanta Falcons! [Cool]

--------------------
http://s385.photobucket.com/user/fwrinkledsoles/media/Donna00.jpg.html

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for combine_hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't give up on the Falcons just yet. Both of their losses were on the road, and Matt Ryan is unusually strong at home.
Posts: 2828 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iohannes Volk
The Legend
Member # 13384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iohannes Volk   Email Iohannes Volk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Patriots are gonna come out pissed. I think the Raiders might end up eating the brunt of their fury this Sunday.
Posts: 2681 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

quote:
Originally posted by Salvy_Mic:
The Patriots are gonna come out pissed.

That's right. Brady & Co. are going to put on another clinic. Last year's lost to the Browns was what woke Brady up and told his team that something like that cannot happen again.

Then, they finished the season 14-2, resulting in Tom winning that unanimous MVP.

Last week's loss to the Bills was an embarrassment. I had a terrible feeling for them going into that game because throughout the seven days leading up to that game, ESPN was hyping that match so much that it made you think that that was the Game of the Week. The Game of the Week featuring the Bills? ESPN made you believe that the underdog Bills could actually pull off the inconceivable by stunning the Pats.

Even though all the experts had picked the Pats to bring the Bills back to Earth, those ESPN feel-good stories about how Buffalo now believes in themselves, made me think that something was up.

It's now time for Brady to remind the league why he is the Golden Boy of the NFL.

-- National

--------------------
 -

National
The Legend
Member # 8568

quote:
Originally posted by National:

My picks are the Chiefs, Ravens, Seahawks, Bears, and the Saints.

Well, it looks like I've gotten three of my five picks correct. Those three are the Bears, Chiefs and Seahawks.

I thought the Jets would make the playoffs, but I'm so glad they didn't. I gave them more credit than I should've. Of all the teams they've beaten, not one of them was against a good opponent. Not one. The Cowboys in Week 1 does not count because of one VERY lucky play towards the end of the game, and because it was Week 1. Besides, the Cowboys, themselves, didn't make the playoffs.

But the trend still continues in the NFL. For the sixteenth year in a row, at least five will be in the playoffs that were not there the year before. Those teams are the Bengals, Texans, Broncos, Giants, the Lions, and the 49ers.

-- National

[ January 02, 2012, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: National ]

--------------------
 -

Iohannes Volk
The Legend
Member # 13384

So I was about 5 teams off in my playoff predictions. I think I'm also ready to amend my Super Bowl picks as well, based on momentum from the end of the season. I think it'll be Saints-Ravens. Out of the 3 juggernaut offensive teams, the Saints are the most balanced, since they have a legitimate rushing attack and the best line of the three, not to mention probably having the best D out of the 3 (though that's not saying much). As for the Ravens, they're clearly the most balanced team in the AFC and Ray Rice is head and shoulders the best running back in the playoffs. Their defense is still elite and has proved it can stop the Patriots offense before. The Patriots can't stop Rice. With all that said, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed in my prognostication prowess if the Packers, Patriots, 49ers, or even the Steelers end up making it.

On top of all that, though, I think the Saints and Ravens have the least amount of adjustments to make heading into the playoffs, closely followed by the 49ers. Despite having the top seeds, the Packers and Patriots have serious to glaring problems (a shoddy O-line and porous pass D for the Packers and a bad habit of slow starts and that horrendous D for the Patriots). The Steelers have injury problems that I'm not sure they can overcome going on the road in the divisional round (they should smash the Broncos). The 49ers also have some injury concerns, but they need to get better at putting points on the board. They have the type of D that can stifle the Saints' and Packers' high-powered offenses. If they can keep the score down, keep control of the ball, they can win.

What these six teams need to do to win it all:

Saints: Keep doing what they're doing. Their defense can tighten up, but other than that, they're hitting on all cylinders. The most serious obstacle is that their road to the Super Bowl goes through Green Bay in the middle of winter.

Packers: Again, the defense needs to improve greatly. They're good at getting turnovers but they give up way too much yardage for the amount of talent they have on the defense. The offensive line, with it's injuries, must keep Aaron Rodgers upright. If opposing teams can get to him consistently, the Packers will not be able to get into the type of rhythm they prefer.

49ers: The D is playing out of their minds, but the offense needs to step up, especially in the red zone. Field goals alone won't cut it in the postseason because the Saints and the Packers will find ways to score. This really just comes down to better play selection and the receivers getting open more often.

Ravens: They can ride this defense to the title. This is the best chance they've had in years now that they have a bye. However, their offense almost completely relies on Ray Rice being dominant. Joe Flacco hasn't proved to be reliable in the clutch in the postseason before and Anquan Bolden may end up missing the postseason altogether. Flacco needs to step up here and take some of the burden off of Rice in order to win it all.

Patriots: The offense is as dominant as always, but they're getting off to ridiculously slow starts as of late. Still, that's an easily remedied problem. Tom Brady is itching for renewed playoff success and will do whatever it takes for them to win. But that defense is absolute garbage right now. They need to fundamentally change everything right now. For whatever reason, this defense lacks fire, lacks attitude. They don't tackle well, they let receivers get open without difficulty, they don't get pressure on the QB, they don't even get control of the line of scrimmage like a Belichick defense usually does. Unless the defense improves greatly, they will lose the title for the Patriots.

Steelers: The offense is hurting right now. The O-line still lets Ben Roethlisberger get hit too much and he's hobbled. Rashard Mendenhall is out for the postseason. It all boils down the the line buckling down and Roethlisberger realizing his limitations and playing accordingly, because he still tries to do all the things he does when he's healthy. The defense is as vulnerable as they've ever been, but they're still a stingy, hard-playing bunch with game changers at all three levels. They'll likely need to carry this team more than they're used to.

Still, I'm calling Saints-Ravens, and the Saints will win. That offense is more than good enough to pierce the Ravens defense enough times and they'd do it by keeping them off balance. As leaky as the Saints defense, they are good enough to know to key in on Rice and force Flacco to beat them. Unless he steps up, he's not the type of QB who can. The Saints should be able to win the field position game by virtue of their offense being able to drive on the Ravens and their better special teams.

So in short, Saints win 34-24 and Drew Brees wins MVP again.

National
The Legend
Member # 8568

For me, I'm going to throw caution into the wind and not take the field, because it is their destiny to have both the Packers and Patriots meet each other in what can turn out to be the Match of the Ages.

Well thought out assessments on your part, Salvy. It was a wonderful read to have.

My thing is is that I will never be convinced that Baltimore will ever make it to the SuperBowl, much less win any Lombardi trophy for as long as Flacco is their quarterback. As far as the Saints go, first off, I can't stand Drew Brees and the entire Who Dat nation. And I'll see to it that my boy Cam Newton puts a stop to them once and for all when the Panthers become more competitive in that division. Anyway, should they get lucky as to go to Green Bay and face the Packers, the natural elements of what makes football the rugged and brutal warfare that it is will finally sink in, and Brees will not be able to fend off his surroundings because the artic conditions will never cooperate with Drew.

Week 1 was a competitive match between the two, but with the weather being a lot worse, I don't see them getting past 28 points.

It is amazing how Tom Brady was able to engineer his team to become the Number 1 seed with an defense that is as terrible as it is. I cannot recall a time where a Number 1 seed with 14 wins was able to grab that spot while allowing the opposing offense to go up and down the field so often. But this is not a cause for concern for me because when Tom Brady is at the helm, the opposing team knows that no lead is safe.

Yes, I know that in the playoffs, every team is no stroll through the park. But this is Tom Brady were talking about. Do not make him put on another clinic.

So I'm going against the field and picking Rodgers vs. Brady, in where Tom will win his 5th SuperBowl title. That game against the Giants in SuperBowl 42 was a joke and a fluke, in case anyone wants to correct me and say that he's going for his fourth title.

I want to see Rodgers in there against Brady, but I don't want Aaron to take the next step on the ladder and be mention in the same breath as Brady anytime soon.

The NBA went through a time where there were a LOT of high scoring games. Baseball had its Steroid Era. This year, I do not think defense will win any of them a championship.

Patriots win 45-31.

[ January 04, 2012, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: National ]

--------------------
 -

eff
All Pro Poster
Member # 11277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eff   Email eff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Packers go all the way and win another one.

They have a really good system up there in Green Bay and it shows by the way the backup qb was able to come in do what he did in the last game.

Posts: 949 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iohannes Volk
The Legend
Member # 13384

I'm as big a Brady fan as the next guy. I really want to see him win that 4th ring and tie with Bradshaw and Montana. Hell, my gut tells me they'll get to the Super Bowl against the Packers. But my head, and especially my football mind, keeps seeing Saints-Ravens.
combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for combine_hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Ravens are going to make the Super Bowl, it's going to take a lot of Ray Rice and a lot of that defense stepping up and making plays. If they have to rely on Flacco to throw it 40-50 times, they are dead in the water.

All the Saints have to do is beat Green Bay in Lambeau. Gotta be honest, I can't see that happening.

Posts: 2828 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

I had to edit something I said in my last post. Forgive me. I said, It is amazing how Tom Brady was able to engineer his team to become the Number 1 seed with an OFFENSE that is as terrible as it is.

I meant to talk about their defense. But of course, you already knew that. [Wink]

--------------------
 -

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links