Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Foot Fetish Content & Discussion » Foot Fetish Talk » Backing up your data (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Backing up your data
Talos
Hall Of Famer
Member # 39913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of ways to prevent a hard drive crash? Or is it something that will inevitably and unexpectedly happen?

--------------------
And today we're all brothers
Tonight we're all friends
A moment of peace in a war that never ends

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorcalfeetStudios
Wrinkle Pimp
Member # 732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorcalfeetStudios   Author's Homepage   Email NorcalfeetStudios   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talos:
Does anyone know of ways to prevent a hard drive crash? Or is it something that will inevitably and unexpectedly happen?

Most modern day desktops anyway are rated around 5-6 years of moderate to heavy service, and it can be sudden. It might give you a couple days of really laggy performance if you're lucky.

--------------------
 -

Join thousands of our fans on Twitter @Norcalfeetdotco

Posts: 18306 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NorcalfeetStudios:
Just contact the Russian pirates who downloaded all of our archives and distributed them to the pirate sites and all those flop & choppers on social media. I'm sure between both of them you could recreate that whole lost set [Confused] [Laugh]

I wish! These are the Canon Raw (.CR2) files I'm talking about. I have all the downsized and stamped versions of the photos. It's the high resolution, right off the camera files I lost.

Patrick

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18260 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hyperion:
In all seriousness Patrick, there is data rescue software out there that could recover what's on your optical media. I've used some before with some success, but it was years ago and I can't remember the vendor. PCmag.com does reliable reviews of stuff, maybe check out what they like.

Years ago when Carmen returned to Soles of Silk I had an XD card for my old Fuji FinePix camera fail to show any data on the drive. It showed there was storage occupied on the drive, however. Someone on this forum suggested a program that rescued all the data for me. I rewarded him with 6 months of membership time.

Knowing this, I've tried using several programs that do similar things for these DVDs. So far, several programs on both a PC and Mac have managed only to get me several photos if I'm lucky.

What happens is I go to rescue the photos and it'll grab the first couple. When it hits one it can't read, I can leave the rescue go for two days and it doesn't budge. Sometimes it'll even lock up the PC.

Do you know of any good programs or places where I can get this rescued? Hell, I've even thought about just sucking up my pride and letting a professional take a crack at it. Hopefully he has a foot fetish so I can give him some membership time too. LOL

Patrick

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18260 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hyperion
The Legend
Member # 39397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hyperion   Email hyperion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid I can't name something right off the bat. However a quick search nets the following info:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-data-recovery-software,review-1973.html

Tomsguide is pretty helpful. Well, I think I conflated that with Tomshardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/45913-63-looking-good-data-recovery-software

--------------------
-hyp

Posts: 3723 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goodguyneighbor
Hall Of Famer
Member # 2824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goodguyneighbor   Author's Homepage   Email goodguyneighbor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're just replacing the failed drive with another of the same type, you're essentially right back in the same situation, just a matter of time before it eventually dies again, unless you have more than one copy of your data.

For the money spent, higher quality internal hard drives can be had, than paying for external enclosures that often come with cheap low quality drives inside.

I like the Western Digital Black series drives for example that come with a 5 year warranty.

But if you're going for an inexpensive external drive, get one with two disks mirrored Raid 1, so that if one disk dies, you still have a backup copy on the other.

Originally posted by Patrick:
quote:
These are the Canon Raw (.CR2) files I'm talking about. I have all the downsized and stamped versions of the photos. It's the high resolution, right off the camera files I lost.
At least you tried to save them. A lot of photographers throw away (.jpg) their digital negatives straight out of the camera.

cbf

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links