Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » "Segway" Personal Transport: Opinions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Segway" Personal Transport: Opinions?
Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bondo Left         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen these things popping up all over the place recently. If you don't know what the Segway Personal Transport is, >> CLICK HERE << .

I don't have a very high personal opinion of these things for some reason. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to give one a test spin though. I just see it as another way for a lazy society to get even lazier. At a price of $4,000 to $5,000, it's not targeted toward lower to middle class consumption. One of these days though, they'll come down in price and be more geared toward the average person.

Yeah, it's a cool novelty, but it's still clunky and big for practicality. I'd give it two thumbs up on two occasions. First, if it were used for some kind of medical assistance (like an upright wheelchair). Second, if they reduce the use of gas powered vehicles. In that case, I think they should use the technology to make an enviornmentally friendly street legal vehicle (more likely for short distance errands).

Anyone have any thoughts on these newfangled things?

Bondo

--------------------

Posts: 5329 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozkar
All Pro Poster
Member # 13264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozkar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The commerical segway hit the news in late 2001. Previously this kind of vehicle was a favorite project among garage EE's. Bondo is correct, the original intent was to be a better mobility option for the wheelchair bound. They're holding out on one that can easily negotiate stairs.
Posts: 639 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bondo Left         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they make one that can climb stairs, that would be very cool. I might be a little skeptical to try that out though.

The "Gilmore Girls" a perfect example of life imitating art MissMcKenzie. Even the people movers from the Jetsons made their way into todays airports (you know, those horizontal stairless escalators). I wonder when jetpack technology will come into everyday use.

I can see the Segway as a fun novelty, just not at the current cost. I'll airbrush flames on the sides of mine and even race you down the street if they become affordable to the average person. The problem I see is when people get so lazy (or trendy) that they want to ride them through malls and down sidewalks, and accidentally bump into things and run over people and small furry animals (poor, poor small furry animals).

They actually have Segway dealerships now. Personally, I think they'll flop.

Bondo

--------------------

Posts: 5329 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not the security guards ride those around the mall in my part of Texas.

--------------------
LeDaemon's Clips http://www.clips4sale.com/880

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

quote:
Originally posted by ledaemon:
Believe it or not the security guards ride those around the mall in my part of Texas.

That's what I'm talking about. I saw a few security guards patroling the area at an outdoor festival I went to last weekend. I was surprised not to see little flashing lights and sirens attached to them...or a side compartment for donuts...d'oh, did I just say that out loud?!

Bondo

--------------------

ChaingangSoldier
Elite Trooper
Member # 14891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChaingangSoldier   Author's Homepage   Email ChaingangSoldier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive tested out one of these things before. i fell on my ass but i enjoyed having a ride

--------------------
"The Champ Is Here"

Posts: 385 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DennisIsEvil
All Pro Poster
Member # 11755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DennisIsEvil   Email DennisIsEvil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it as an overpriced playtoy for rich trouserstains with far too much time and money on their hands.

--------------------
A warzone is no place to eat tacos.

Posts: 520 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feetluvr
The King Of Feet
Member # 1570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feetluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe someday we'll all have Segways on a carrier on the back of our cars so we never have to walk at all.

They look pretty neat, though I've never tried one. A friend of mine and his wife took one on a little small town tour in California. She ended up running into the side of a car that backed out in front of her. She panicked and couldn't remember how to stop.

There does seem to be some good uses for them: security, postal employees, etc.

Posts: 9728 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F18Hornet
Elite Trooper
Member # 11172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F18Hornet   Email F18Hornet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in England it is illegal to use them on the public highway, either road or footpath. Only permissible use is on private property. Don't believe me? See this article from The Times, 21/08/06. And the government has nothing better to do wth its time, like, for example, catching criminals and terrorists hell-bent on blowing us all the hell?
Posts: 343 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toelkr
Loyal Member
Member # 1358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toelkr   Email toelkr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Washington (DCA)the other night and the police are using them in the airport. Yes the airport. I talked to an officer about it and he really likes it.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links