Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » computer/internet question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: computer/internet question
Michael P
BANNED
Member # 1922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael P   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use comcast cable for the internet

when i use my laptop to download files sometimes i get over 200 kb's per second but then other times i get only 40 kb's per second

i'm downloading these files in the exact same location, why the different downloading speeds?

what causes them to be different?

thanks

--------------------
quote:
----------------------------------
posted by Andy - Laa:
my posts in this thread are not as good as Michael P's

Posts: 3024 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wing-Washer
Hall Of Famer
Member # 3013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wing-Washer   Email Wing-Washer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it depends on how many people are online at any given time. With cable internet, everyone shares the bandwidth.

[ February 29, 2008, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Wing-Washer ]

--------------------
When you go home tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow we gave our today.
-John Maxwell Edmonds

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
footspy
Hall Of Famer
Member # 2112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for footspy   Author's Homepage   Email footspy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you downloading these files? Are you downloading them from a torrent site or from a server like rapidshare, megaupload, sendspace etc. etc. etc.? If you're downloading from a torrent then your download speed is affected by the speed of the seeder(s) and of course the more seeders there are the faster your speed should be. If you're downloading from a server then the speed is usually affected by the amount of people downloading the same file you are at the same time. This isn't always the case though. Sendspace is a good example of this. With any other servers I've tried I usually get several hundred KB/s download speed but with Sendspace I can't seem to get anything higher than 50 KB/s. Of course it starts off fast but then it starts to go down until it reaches about 50 KB/s and then it settles there.

BTW what movie is your avatar from? I find it really annoying but then again I can't stand Jack Black.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael P
BANNED
Member # 1922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael P   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i download from rapidshare and mega upload for the most part

right now i am using rapidhare to download a file, i'm the only one using the net in my house and it is moving slow [Cry]

i don't know what movie my avatar is from, sorry you find it annoying but i am not changing it soon [Evil Grin]

thanks for the input guys, can anybody else help?

--------------------
quote:
----------------------------------
posted by Andy - Laa:
my posts in this thread are not as good as Michael P's

Posts: 3024 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wing-Washer
Hall Of Famer
Member # 3013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wing-Washer   Email Wing-Washer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Mike:
i'm the only one using the net in my house and it is moving slow

It's not limited to just the people on your LAN, it's affected by the total number of people using your ISP.

Have you tried using a good download accelerator? There are some that will work with rapidshare or mega upload.

--------------------
When you go home tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow we gave our today.
-John Maxwell Edmonds

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
russ
Elite Trooper
Member # 10866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for russ   Author's Homepage   Email russ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by footspy: BTW what movie is your avatar from?
it's from the tenacious d dvd, not the pick of destiny but the one of their hbo show. I think that skit was "rock star sperm" or something to that effect.
Posts: 482 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
footspy
Hall Of Famer
Member # 2112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for footspy   Author's Homepage   Email footspy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by russ:
quote:
Originally posted by footspy: BTW what movie is your avatar from?
it's from the tenacious d dvd, not the pick of destiny but the one of their hbo show. I think that skit was "rock star sperm" or something to that effect.
Thanks Russ. I had no idea they had a show on HBO. I can't believe people find him funny enough to give him a show.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links