Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Computer Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer Help
Drunk_24-7
The Legend
Member # 21781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drunk_24-7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a virus there like a week ago Alpha Anti Virus or something it was called. It was like a fake anti virus that would block all kinds of websites and it wouldn't let you delete it without purchasing some kind of licence. I think I killed it with Malware bytes, but before I did that in trying to fix it I downloaded a different cleaner called like Loris Trojan remover which I think may have been a virus as well. Everything seemed fine for a day or two except I still couldn't get on google or bing or anything to try and search for info on how to clean up any damage it may have done. Then three days ago my fiance said the computer just shut off to do a restart and now it won't open windows in regular mode. It just loops from the boot menu to windows startup and back to boot menu and continues in that cycle. I tried a system restore but they don't work and then when I go back into safe mode it says the system restore could not be completed. So right now the only computer access I have is through safemode. The windows startup won't complete it'll just go to boot menu, then the screen where it shows the windows icon and the bars going along the bottom, then when it would go to the windows start up screen it doesn't make that transition and instead cycles back to the boot menu, goes to the safe mode options with a 30 second timer and if you do nothing it'll just keep going in that loop. I can get into safemode which is how I'm posting this but I can't really make out any pics or view any videos or anything, so it really really, really sucks. Does this sound familiar to anyone or does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to fix it?

--------------------
I Love My Sweet Angel Shawna

http://Drunk24-7.tumblr.com/

Posts: 2854 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you may just have to reformat the old hard drive and start over from scratch. Happened to me before when a trojan virus took over my computer and blocked my anti virus software I had installed. Hopefully you have important stuff backed up on a external drive.

--------------------
LeDaemon's Clips http://www.clips4sale.com/880

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drunk_24-7
The Legend
Member # 21781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drunk_24-7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck. That'll suck. I don't even think I have my windows cd's anymore let alone anything backed up. Can I download stuff in safemode that I wanna keep? I could like pick up a pack of cd's and download stuff from safemode but if that's even possible would that be alright or when I deposit the stuff onto the computer post format would it like reload the virus on there?

--------------------

Posts: 2854 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofatater
All Pro Poster
Member # 4209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofatater   Email sofatater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got an adapter to "hot swap" drives that I used in a similar circumstance. I had a second hard drive that I had taken out of an old computer, hooked it up and transfered the data that I wanted to save and then I
"nuked" the original drive, and reinstalled windows, and transfered the other data back and saved it all to cd's. But, you said that you don't think you still have your windows cd.

If you want to try this method (if you find your windows cd), you can get the adapter from www.powermax.com

The product is NewerTech Universal HD/Optical to USB2 Ada. It cost me $29.99. Very simple to use.

Good luck.

--------------------
It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy!  -

Posts: 762 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Del Amitri
The King Of Feet
Member # 2724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Del Amitri   Email Ben Del Amitri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sofatater:
I've got an adapter to "hot swap" drives that I used in a similar circumstance. I had a second hard drive that I had taken out of an old computer, hooked it up and transfered the data that I wanted to save and then I
"nuked" the original drive, and reinstalled windows, and transfered the other data back and saved it all to cd's. But, you said that you don't think you still have your windows cd.

If you want to try this method (if you find your windows cd), you can get the adapter from www.powermax.com

The product is NewerTech Universal HD/Optical to USB2 Ada. It cost me $29.99. Very simple to use.

Good luck.

The problem with this is that when you transfer data from your corrupted system, you may also be transferring the virus(es), worms, trojans and whatever else has killed your pc - right back into your NEW system or drive. It can be embedded (and hidden) in any file - even a jpeg or bitmap. They've even found out how to hide malware in TEXT files, which is scary.

It sounds like this payload may have been delivered by or caught from a "drive by" website, popup or popunder - do you visit sites such as Imageavenue frequently?

--------------------
Respectfully,

Ben

-
Malory in Signature

Posts: 5772 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Del Amitri
The King Of Feet
Member # 2724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Del Amitri   Email Ben Del Amitri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you are describing also sounds like it might be a Root Kit, which is the most difficult malware to thwart (sometimes impossible). As has been recommended by others, I think that would call for a reformat (or new PC).

--------------------
Respectfully,

Ben

-
Malory in Signature

Posts: 5772 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofatater
All Pro Poster
Member # 4209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofatater   Email sofatater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Ben. I guess I was lucky. The only data that I transfered from the other drive was the stuff that I deemed important. The other data (jpegs, videos, and music) got nuked with the rest of the drive.

--------------------
It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy!  -

Posts: 762 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Del Amitri
The King Of Feet
Member # 2724

quote:
Originally posted by sofatater:
Thanks, Ben. I guess I was lucky. The only data that I transfered from the other drive was the stuff that I deemed important. The other data (jpegs, videos, and music) got nuked with the rest of the drive.

You were smart in nuking those specific file types, as they are the most likely to have malicious payloads embeded. I like your idea and I've used something similar a few times - but when I do, I load those types of files into a separate (external) hard drive - then run an exhaustive scan on that drive before opening any of the files.

--------------------
Respectfully,

Ben

-
Malory in Signature

soles&toes
Elite Trooper
Member # 29104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soles&toes   Email soles&toes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can really say is when you do get it sorted, install AVG anti-virus, it's great, it doesn't keep telling you a load of useless crap (like Norton does) and it only pops up when it has found a virus (as soon as you download a file, once it is saved it is scanned).

--------------------
Please donate if you liked the avatars I made you
 -

Posts: 324 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feetluvr
The King Of Feet
Member # 1570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feetluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard about that malware on a computer-related podcast- fucking extortion is what it is! Doesn't allow you to go anywhere except to their site to pay the $80 for their program to "fix" your computer.

You may have to reinstall Windows (or move to a free linux version like Ubuntu. I've been using that on one of my computers and love it. Linux is much less susceptible to virus and malware attacks).

You may be able to move some of your stuff to disk or CD- but you'd want to virus scan it before moving it to your new computer.

I've used Zone Alarm (free fireall) and AVG Free Anti-virus and have never had a problem. I actually just switched to Microsoft Security Essentials (also free) because it's been getting good reviews and is much more lightweight than AVG.

Posts: 9728 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drunk_24-7
The Legend
Member # 21781

Anyone know if when you reformat does the windows cd you install have to be the windows cd that came with your computer or can you like borrow a windows cd from a buddy or something and use that?

--------------------

feetluvr
The King Of Feet
Member # 1570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feetluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drunk_24-7:
Anyone know if when you reformat does the windows cd you install have to be the windows cd that came with your computer or can you like borrow a windows cd from a buddy or something and use that?

You can use any CD you want, but to be legal you must have your own software license- which is usually on the Windows Install CD. Some computers (like Dells)have the Windows Opsys License on a small label somewhere on the computer itself.
Posts: 9728 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links