Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Dissapearance of drive-thru's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dissapearance of drive-thru's
A&F_FootDude_05
The King Of Feet
Member # 2999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A&F_FootDude_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive-in_theater

I got intrigued by the dissapearance of drive-thru's in the other thread when LeDaemon started talking about them. They were something I have only heard about or seen in the media...and being born in the early 80's, I think they were gone well before I came around....guess they got too expensive to host with rising land prices. But of course, Wikipedia is a good start but I'm sure there's more details behind it.

--------------------
If feet are your bottom line, you're gonna get trampled...if women are your bottom line, you're gonna get lovestruck!

~A&F~
Free Image Hosting

Posts: 6117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They would charge admission per person, but a way around it was people would sneak friends in the trunk of their car. Back then a car trunk was fairly big like in an old Caddie compared to today's little, lets say Smart Car. [Laugh]

--------------------
LeDaemon's Clips http://www.clips4sale.com/880

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluetoelover
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have one here in my province. It's only open for the summer(June-August). The amount of money they would make would scare ya! And yes, people still sneak in people in their trunks [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diamond johny
All Pro Poster
Member # 27586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamond johny   Email diamond johny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used to go every weekend & it was $5 a carload.
I had several in my neighborhood & all were gone by around '83. The local rock station used to have a "All Night Blow-out" once a year & was a HUGE party showing The Wall & The Song Remains The Same, Easy Rider, etc., from 8pm till around 5am. The Drive ins would broadcast the sound on some FM channel as well as the speakers so it was loud & everyone had it cranked up. Those were the days!

--------------------
=MORE VOLUME PLEASE=

Posts: 759 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baseball Fan
Hall Of Famer
Member # 27313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baseball Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i guess the closest i will ever get one is to actually watch a movie in my car. but it has a dvd player in it.

--------------------
"Nina, this is my house, you work for me, and I want to suck your toes."
-Big Trouble (2002)

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofatater
All Pro Poster
Member # 4209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofatater   Email sofatater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They started to disappear about the time that VCR's became popular. Most of us went to drive-ins because it was an inexpensive night out with the family. We'd take a cooler full of drinks and snacks (you can't do that in a theater). And most of them had a playground for the kids in front, below the screen so they'd be occupied until it was dark enough to start the movie.

Then VCR's hit the market and you could just bring the movies into your living room. Ta-Da, no more drive-in's. [Cry]

--------------------
It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy!  -

Posts: 762 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maverick Matrix
All Pro Poster
Member # 2989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maverick Matrix   Email Maverick Matrix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's one that I can think of in the Detroit area (yes, really) but most of them are long gone. I'd be surprised if that one is even still open.
Posts: 649 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofatater
All Pro Poster
Member # 4209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofatater   Email sofatater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to go to the drive in with a cooler full of beer and a couple of lawn chairs in the back of my pick up truck. I'd back into the space, set up the lawn chairs in the bed of the truck (they wouldn't let you put them on the ground), and pop open the cooler! It was great on a warm summer's night!

--------------------

Posts: 762 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A&F_FootDude_05
The King Of Feet
Member # 2999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A&F_FootDude_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they will come back in the 2010's [Laugh]

--------------------
If feet are your bottom line, you're gonna get trampled...if women are your bottom line, you're gonna get lovestruck!

~A&F~
Free Image Hosting

Posts: 6117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drunk_24-7
The Legend
Member # 21781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drunk_24-7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's any around up here but back home it's still running strong in the summer. They do from Dusk till Dawn's every holiday where there's like three movies and a giant party at the drive in. Then there's carload nights and something going on every night of the week in the summer. Makes for an awesome date or a great party, or even a good family experience with the kids depending on what you're looking for. I had tons of great times at the drive in over the years and I think they blow theaters out of the water.

--------------------
I Love My Sweet Angel Shawna

http://Drunk24-7.tumblr.com/

Posts: 2854 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofatater
All Pro Poster
Member # 4209

I think we need to start a "Grass Roots" movement and bring back Drive-In's. Anybody got an empty lot on hand? [Secret] [Laugh]

--------------------

Toetapper
The King Of Feet
Member # 6473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toetapper   Email Toetapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last one in my neighborhood closed about ten years ago; it's now a housing development. I do miss it.

As our restaurant was slowly failing (due to relentless police patrols over-enforcing DUI laws) my father would console himself by saying with a sigh, "I could have bought a drive-in theater or a slide-rule factory".

Posts: 5067 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links