Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Photo question, what to get: Flash or lens?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photo question, what to get: Flash or lens?
dak
Major Player
Member # 2829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the deal: My wife and I have a baby on the way, due the middle of September. To get ready for baby pictures, I finally bought a digital SLR, a Nikon D5100 (it came with the 18-55mm lens). I love the camera, and it takes great pics! My question is, what accessory from my list do I get next?

1. SB-400 or SB-700 flash
2. 55-300mm lens
3. ME-1 microphone (for stereo sound with movies)

Reason I'm asking, I have a limited budget for my toys, and I want too many things!

FLASH - I'm new to flash photography. I've always used available light for my photographs. But when I look at professional shots of children and infants, they always have that nice lighting look. I'm sure that learning to use a flash would make my photos much better, I just haven't ever owned one.

55-300mm LENS - I love getting close to subjects. When I'm traveling and shooting, I usually always take several wide angle landscapes of the environment, then start focusing on the little details that make a place interesting. I love the ability zoom lenses give you to reach in and see detail of objects you can't get physically close to.

MICROPHONE - I like having the ability to shoot video, and I held out buying a SLR until this model came out that had affordable, great quality 1080p video. But you can hear the lens focusing by using the internal mono mic. I'd love this camera to become our family camcorder, and this would help it get a step closer to that goal.

Sorry for such a long post. I tend to get wordy! I appreciate anyone's feedback on this topic!

--------------------
- dak

Posts: 122 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go with the flash I'd say. the lens wouldn't be necessary for a kid and the microphone...well...does anyone ever REALLY watch home videos after the day they've been recorded? lol

But dude - the choice lies with you...lucky SLR bastard [Tongue]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dak
Major Player
Member # 2829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol. Thanks! I'll probably go with the flash. [Smile]

--------------------
- dak

Posts: 122 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka.footjoyboy
The King Of Feet
Member # 32751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aka.footjoyboy   Email aka.footjoyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Craigslist has a lot more content than just to where one can pick up the neighborhood skank.
They have many excellent discussion forums and one of them is a photography forum.
Post this same comment on their photography forum and I'll bet that you'll get several in depth answers/comments within an hour or so.

--------------------
Yes, I'm that footjoyboy

-

Posts: 10499 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You bitch. Mine was as in-depth as it gets [Tongue]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dak
Major Player
Member # 2829

Great idea. Sorry, Andy-Laa.

--------------------
- dak

Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Oh,on a serious note, you might want to ask the guys at http://www.pixelinduced.com/forum

I like that site for sharing my photography (of the non-foot variety) and the community is extremely welcoming and helpful.

--------------------
 -

dak
Major Player
Member # 2829

If anyone cares, I ended up getting the flash. I'm just getting used to it, but I think it'll be really fun. I can already tell how much easier it will be to get nicer pics inside.

--------------------
- dak

aka.footjoyboy
The King Of Feet
Member # 32751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aka.footjoyboy   Email aka.footjoyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Thumbs Up]

--------------------
Yes, I'm that footjoyboy

-

Posts: 10499 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links