Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Interesting Article On The Logical Fallacies Of Debates (cracked.com)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting Article On The Logical Fallacies Of Debates (cracked.com)
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-logical-fallacies-that-make-you-wrong-more-than-you-think.html

#3 and #5 certainly remind me of a certain someone... [Wink]

It discusses it in 3 ways, first in a anecdotal kind of way, then it goes into the science behind it and then it gives a little overview of why you shouldn't do it next time.

Interesting read.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toetapper
The King Of Feet
Member # 6473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toetapper   Email Toetapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good article that many should read and take to heart.

As someone with a background in Science, I'm aware of these and many other logical fallacies. It takes a great deal of effort to step back and reflect on one's assertions and beliefs and give them a test against reality.

Our daily lives are filled with assumptions that we don't even notice. It is all part of being human to have certain beliefs that we just take for granted and never ask ourselves, "Now, why do I believe that?"

Posts: 5067 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I mean I know I have certainly been guilty of some of the mentioned "conditions" - call it what you will - for one I used to be a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

I still like them for entertainment value, but I don't particularly believe them when I just took a second to look at the facts of the matter.

It was an article posted on a thread I had in the miscellaneous section, here where I was asking what conspiracy theories you believe where nusth(I think) posted a link countering every point made against the Moon Landing.

That's what started me on looking objectively at them and kind of bred it out of me. I hated the idea that I was so obviously being an ignorant little shit who thought he had the knowledge very few people had. Eh, I'm healed now [Smile]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toetapper
The King Of Feet
Member # 6473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toetapper   Email Toetapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on your recovery - that conspiracy belief is a real pernicious one.

The magazine "Skeptical Inquirer" had a number of very interesting articles on the "Conspiracy Meme" - why such notions appeal and persist. I couldn't begin to summarize them but, if you can locate them, one was in the January/February issue and the other was one or two issues on either side.

One book that should be a "must read" for all thinking people is Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World - Science as a Candle In the Dark". If we could all think as scientists, the world would be a much cooler place.

Posts: 5067 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links