Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Monitors, Photoshop Color Profiles, RAW Camera Profiles...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monitors, Photoshop Color Profiles, RAW Camera Profiles...
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who finds this stuff to be a pain in the ass? Let me explain...

A few months ago my 24 inch Samsung SyncMaster monitor died. It was a few years old, so it wasn't worth trying to fix. Sad thing was, I really liked the monitor. The color was amazing on it and I never had any issues to that point.

I knew my mom had replaced some monitors on her computer (she works at home) and one of the ones she replaced was also a Samsung monitor, same size as the one I had. It was a different model, however, and I quickly noticed when I went by to borrow it, that the colors were poor. Everything looked less saturated. Thing is though, they only did when viewing photos off my new Canon RAW files. My old JPG files from my Fuji camera looked better. They weren't as good as before, but still not bad. So it was something with the RAW files I guessed.

After messing with Photoshop's import settings I got everything fucked up. Between the sRGB, Adobe RGB, the monitor profile, etc. nothing looked like I wanted it too. I'd view the files outside Photoshop, import them, they'd look pale, I'd save them, and then they'd look more vibrant outside Photoshop. It made no sense.

A few weeks ago I finally said fuck it and bought the monitor I've been wanting for a bit. It's a 30 inch Dell monitor. It's got some of the best color I've seen and has a 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Anyhow, I quickly opened the RAW files and old camera files in Photoshop and they looked amazing. I didn't change anything. I have no idea what the fuck the issue was. I have everything in the programs set back to default for color profiles anyhow (they still look the same regardless).

So, anyone else ever have a nice go around with this kinda crap? It's NOT fun!

Patrick

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18260 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red_Fox
Major Player
Member # 36851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red_Fox   Email Red_Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not to sure about this, but I know monitors display in RGB and camera RAW files should be displayed in CMYK. however not all monitors know how to "properly" display CMYK colors. it's a very touchy situation. before I bought my 3 monitor setup (all the same make and model monitors) I had 3 dell monitors, all similar models and none of the 3 displayed colors the same way, no matter how much I tried to adjust the settings.

anyway, in the end, usually more expensive HI-DEF monitors always will give you a better display =D

--------------------
No Ma'am, I don't want to get in your pants. I want to get in your shoes!!!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneagain
Hall Of Famer
Member # 35859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have a problem when shooting in sRGB and then seeing dull colors when viewing the raw file outside of PS.

I would need to convert the color space for other viewers.

As for monitors...cant imagine it would have some built in hardware to handle the colorspace differences...but perhaps just the bits it can display is all it took.

Posts: 2341 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pissed off with Adobe for telling me I have to pay again to have the RAW file off of my camera compatible with their programs.

Fucking bullshit.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red_Fox
Major Player
Member # 36851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red_Fox   Email Red_Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy-Laa:
I'm pissed off with Adobe for telling me I have to pay again to have the RAW file off of my camera compatible with their programs.

Fucking bullshit.

that doesn't make sense. RAW file codecs are free.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/software_applications/canon_raw_codec_software

http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

--------------------

Posts: 148 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to upgrade (pay more) for the updated PS which can handle the free RAW codec.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneagain
Hall Of Famer
Member # 35859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...you can convert to that open source format but I take it you want adobe camera raw and your camera version is only directly comparable with a newer version of PS?
Posts: 2341 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red_Fox
Major Player
Member # 36851

as for RAW files, I think Adobe Lightroom way outperforms photoshop and should handle all RAW files. then after that move them to photoshop. wow did this get off topic fast XD

--------------------

oneagain
Hall Of Famer
Member # 35859

I think camera raw does have more features...true lightroom has done to camera raw what soundbooth has done to adobe audition.

...but I wouldn't be surprised if lightroom requires an upgrade as well!

I think the problem Andy mentioned isn't just viewing the raw but the camera profile might nit be available unless he gets the Ps upgrade.

Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
Originally posted by oneagain:
I think camera raw does have more features...true lightroom has done to camera raw what soundbooth has done to adobe audition.

...but I wouldn't be surprised if lightroom requires an upgrade as well!

I think the problem Andy mentioned isn't just viewing the raw but the camera profile might nit be available unless he gets the Ps upgrade.

That's the one.

And Lightroom works with RAW for me but insanely simple stuff like a cloning tool is missing [Cry]

--------------------
 -

oneagain
Hall Of Famer
Member # 35859

Well...a cheaper alternative is to get a colorchecker and create a profile of your own...if you were in the States I'd let ya borrow mine to make the profile!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links