Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Hobbies/Interests » Comics/Animation » DC Relaunching 52 Titles to Issue #1s

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DC Relaunching 52 Titles to Issue #1s
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone see this? Thoughts? Opinions?

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/31/dc-comics-comics-relaunch-digital/

Patrick

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18260 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for combine_hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't really kept up with much of this, but I do remember the "Death of Superman" and the various events associated with Batman being taken out by Bane.

This seems drastic and unnecessary. But if they think that this move will result in increased sales...well, good luck to them.

I would be more concerned with the continuity of each series, but I'm not really economically-minded. [Laugh]

Posts: 2828 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it is really odd. Not sure if you're aware of the whole Batgirl thing. About 20 years ago, the Joker shot the then Batgirl, Barbara Gordon, in the spine and she's been confined to a wheelchair since. She took on the name Oracle and was a MAJOR intelligence factor for Batman, Birds of Prey, and many others.

In the early 2000s they had another girl take over as Batgirl named Cassandra Cain. She was a trained assassian type and her outfit looked quite S&M'ish. She gained quite a following over about 100 issues.

Just a couple of years ago they had another girl take over as Batgirl. Her name is Stephanie Brown and she was the former Spoiler and even one of the many Robin characters. She is currently Batgirl and has got quite the following.

So now they're going to switch Batgirl back to Gordon. Although she's the most widely known Batgirl, she hasn't been Batgirl in 20 years and now what will happened with the current Batgirl?

I don't know how much screwing with the timeline or alternate universe stuff they're going to do. I see that they're going to have a Nightwing comic again. Nightwing, for those who don't know is/was the first Robin - Dick Grayson. After a falling out with Batman, he became Nightwing - still a good guy in Gotham, but his own boss. Many others have since stepped up and have been Robins in the years since. But in the big picture of all these relaunches, there is also going to be a new Batman and Robin comic. So if they are going back in time, will they be saying that Nightwing was never Robin, or that all the falling out stuff happened in the past.

Man, I don't know. I say, go ahead and renumber the comics if you have to, but PLEASE don't fuck with the storylines. Wonder Woman just had her comic renumbered to reflect her 600th issue and now they're going to throw it back to 1 again. Not to mention how bad they messed up her costume. Man does it suck and man does the new one suck too.

Patrick

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18260 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nusuth
The Legend
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nusuth   Author's Homepage   Email nusuth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's just insane. how the hell can they throw out 50 years of history. on the other hand, i do sympathize with being burdened with 50 years of history that does kind of limit what writers can do with characters. it's not like they havent ignored certain events anyway, y'know? like the whole g-damn silver age?? what happened to krytpo and superhorse, etc. [Laugh]

--------------------
 -
Follow us on Twitter!

Posts: 4855 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

-

Krypto shows up on occassion and actually whoops some ass when he does. As for the horse...

Patrick

--------------------
 -

Foot Fetish Artist
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foot Fetish Artist   Author's Homepage   Email Foot Fetish Artist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had already pretty much left the Big Two (DC and Marvel) behind. This ill-advised plan just proves that my decision was the right one.

--------------------
FootFetishArtist.com

Posts: 1779 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

They suckered me in. I don't know how, but I told my comic shop owner to give me one of each new #1 title and from there I am going to see what series I'd like to keep. The more I've learned about some of the titles, the more interested I've become. While I am not fond of quite a bit of it, some things, like Green Lantern: The New Guardians seems neat. Kyle Rayner is in charge of a lantern corp represented by one ring holder of each color ring. Kinda nifty.

Patrick

--------------------
 -

glabrous1
Loyal Member
Member # 9016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glabrous1   Email glabrous1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...it's utter crap. It's been utter crap since the fist big reboot in '86. YMMV, of course. Mostly it's about screwing the Siegel and Shuster heirs...

--------------------
Shoes? Pfui.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foot Fetish Artist
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foot Fetish Artist   Author's Homepage   Email Foot Fetish Artist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was already hard for Hal Jordan to be special with a bajillion other beings had the same weapon. Add to that the fact that there is now a ring for every color of the rainbow, each with a bajillion wielders, too, and any interest I may have had in a Green Lantern book has completely disappeared.

--------------------
FootFetishArtist.com

Posts: 1779 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

quote:
Originally posted by FIASCo:
It was already hard for Hal Jordan to be special with a bajillion other beings had the same weapon. Add to that the fact that there is now a ring for every color of the rainbow, each with a bajillion wielders, too, and any interest I may have had in a Green Lantern book has completely disappeared.

Funny as the one book that piques my interest is the one with a bearer of each color ring in the same group. Each has different powers though, so I find it to be interesting. Would be like saying someone with a shotgun is similar to someone with a tommy gun, and is similar to someone with a sniper rifle. Sure, they're all guns, but they're different too. That's how I look at it.

Patrick

--------------------
 -

Foot Fetish Artist
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1899

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
quote:
Originally posted by FIASCo:

Funny as the one book that piques my interest is the one with a bearer of each color ring in the same group. Each has different powers though, so I find it to be interesting. Would be like saying someone with a shotgun is similar to someone with a tommy gun, and is similar to someone with a sniper rifle. Sure, they're all guns, but they're different too. That's how I look at it.

Patrick

I hear you, Patrick. It's just that in the DCU it's not just ONE person with a shotgun and ONE person with a tommy gun and ONE person with a sniper rifle. There are millions. The Flash is a neat character. If there are thousands of people who have super speed in the same comic book universe, that makes him a lot less special. Then again, maybe the book you're reading is a great book despite that, and I'm missing out on some good stories.

--------------------
FootFetishArtist.com

Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Well, the book hasn't come out yet and I have actually never read any Green Lantern stories. Maybe part of it is that I haven't read all that stuff before. But the idea that each person who has similar traits uses them and treats them different. I mean, Wonder Woman, Superman, Supergirl, Power Girl, etc all have similar powers, but they are way different when reading their stories. Guess that is what I am hoping for.

But other than the DC stuff, I am liking the stories and comics put out by Aspen. If they only put them out more often and weren't late at times with getting the books out. Small company stuff...

Patrick

--------------------
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links