Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » HEAVY METAL (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: HEAVY METAL
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hott3028:
They almost achieved a POP aesthetic on that album with some great songs, awesome videos and a record jacket that you could stare at for hours and discover some neat stuff.

I think it's that very pop aesthetic that you mentioned which is precisely what caused that album to be under-rated. Here's a little anecdote that I think will illustrate what I'm saying:

There was footage released on one of Maiden's old compilation VHS video packages in which Bruce is hanging out in a nightclub in Poland circa 1983 chatting with some fans. And one fan in particular tells Bruce that he wants to play heavy metal in a band on the synthesizer, to which Bruce responds "You can't play heavy metal with synthesizers." Lo and behold, 1986 rolls around, Somewhere In Time is released, and it's got synthesizers all over it.

I think many of the older Maiden fans were somewhat turned off by the pop vibe that was inherent in tracks like "Wasted Years" and "Stranger in a Strange Land". The band was criticized as having lost their edge. From a guitarist's perspective, I'll also note that more than another other Maiden album to date, Somewhere In Time is absolutely drenched with the chorus effect on the guitars, an effect that really typifies the sound inherent in mainstream pop/rock at that point in the mid 1980s. So I'd say there was definitely some sort of conscious decision to broaden their scope and go a little more mainstream on that album.

Having said all that, I'll just sum up by saying that I personally love the Somewhere In Time album very much. In addition to loving 80s metal, I also love 80s pop/rock bands like Journey, and IMHO the vibe on Somewhere In Time sounds more like Journey than anything Maiden's ever done. I think it's a brilliant album, and for those who are lucky enough to own Maiden's singles, I'd strongly advise you to check out a song called "Reach Out" which was the B-side of the "Wasted Years" single. It's a phenomenal pop/rock song written by Adrian Smith and really stands out in my mind as one of the best pieces of crossover writing that Maiden's done.

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, I've got Somewhere In Time spinning in the CD player as I type this. You got me in the mood! hehe

[Big Grin]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hott3028   Email hott3028       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good B-Side from that era was a song called "Juanita". I think it might be on the re-issue of "Somewhere In Time" or on a Bonus Disc.

Very cool insight on that album C.J. I agree with you, as a matter of fact, I remember guys saying at the time that Maiden had sold out -- especially if a poser like me was listening to them.

[ February 11, 2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: hott3028 ]

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Originally posted by hott3028:
Another good B-Side from that era was a song called "Juanita". I think it might be on the re-issue of "Somewhere In Time" or on a Bonus Disc.

Yeah, that song was the B-side to "Stranger in a Strange Land". I've got it on 12".

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

Sabbath
Major Player
Member # 4844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabbath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that I am a teenager and people of my age listents to this crappy nu-metal. I don't find death and gore that bad. I also like power metal bands like Stratovarius or Iced Earth
But my favourite kind fo metal is Old School BRITISH HEavy Metal , like Iron Maiden , Judas Priest , Motorhead , Diamond Head..and my all time favourite
:cheers:BLACK SABBATH:cheers:
I also love classic rock like led zeppelin , jimi hendrix , the who etc..

Posts: 213 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links