Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Best Fighting Games of All Time??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best Fighting Games of All Time???
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

I picked up the Street Figher Anniversary Collection the other day and playing it brought back so many memories. It was my favorite arcade fighter of all time. So I was wondering what everyone else thinks are the best. I made a little top 10 list:

10 - Smash Bros. Melee Series (Super Smash is favorite)
9 - Virtua Fighter Series (Pt. 4 is favorite)
8 - Killer Instinct
7- King of Fighters Series (any of them)
6- Dead or Alive Series (Pt. 2 or 3, pretty much the same)
5 - Soul Caliber/Blade Series (Soul Caliber 2 is favorite)
4 - Tekken Series (Tag is favorite)
3 - Mortal Kombat Series (Trilogy is favorite)
2- Samurai Shodown Series (Pt. 1 is favorite)
1 - Street Fighter Series (Pt. 2 is favorite)

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18258 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vasduten
Elite Trooper
Member # 2211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vasduten   Email vasduten       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe...
All the ones I could think of you had already...
-cheers!

--------------------
I know when I'm licked... all over.

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hott3028   Email hott3028       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Tekken (PlayStation)
2. Dead or Alive (Saturn)
3. Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox)
4. Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi (PlayStation)
5. Mike Tyson's Punchout (NES)

Now let's brawl!

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vasduten
Elite Trooper
Member # 2211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vasduten   Email vasduten       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, crap, I forgot Mike tyson's punch-out!!!
OK, I would pick that as my No.1 favorite of ALL time.
lol
Glass joe,
King hippo,
that crazy baron guy,
and who can forget soda popinski?
God, I loved that game...
I liked how when Mack would talk to you and it would sound like, 'Blublublu... blublublubluBLU!"

--------------------
I know when I'm licked... all over.

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good topic, Patrick. Seems like quite a few of us love the fighter games. I'll just keep the various parts of a series together rather than separate them to make it easier. Here's my top 10 at the moment:

1) King of Fighters
2) The Last Blade
3) Street Fighter
4) Marvel vs. Street Fighter
5) Ninja Master's
6) Mortal Kombat
7) Fatal Fury
8) Samurai Shodown
9) Asura Blade
10) Kizuna Encounter

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mistress Pedrianna
Loyal Member
Member # 3668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistress Pedrianna   Author's Homepage   Email Mistress Pedrianna       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
World Heroes 2 and Perfect
Fighters' History Dynamite
Naruto: GNT 3
Groove On Fight
All King Of Fighters series
Breakers Revenge
Tech Romancer
Project Justice
SNK vs. CAPCOM: Chaos
Pocket Fighter

--------------------
I'm back!

Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ass_clown
Loyal Member
Member # 4975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ass_clown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its all about street fighter II [Thumbs Up]
Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony The Shredder
The Legend
Member # 2912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony The Shredder   Author's Homepage   Email Tony The Shredder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are my Top 10 Best Games of All Time...

1. SoulCalibur (Dreamcast)
2. SoulCalibur II (GameCube)
3. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (Dreamcast)
4. Mortal Kombat II (Super NES)
5. Killer Instinct Gold (Nintendo 64)
6. Tekken 4 (Playstation 2)
7. Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 (Dreamcast)
8. Dead or Alive: Limited Edition (Dreamcast Import)
9. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
10. River City Ransom (NES)

--------------------
Tony

President of The Sexy Lexi Fan Club,
and CEO of Foot Soldiers International, LLC

Posts: 3660 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like a whole bunch of fighting games, and for a long time that's all I played. But instead of me writing out a top 10, I'll just list my favorite one...
King of Fighters '98

I think I sank more time into that one than any other fighting game before it or since. So many characters, beautiful graphics, catchy tunes, super-tight gameplay...fighting game perfection in that one if you ask me.

One thing about KOF '98 that really caught me off-guard was it actually made me want to learn how to perfect as many different characters as I could. Often, in playing a certain fighting game, I'd get me about three or four favorite characters, then stick with perfecting them. KOF '98 had me wanting to learn even the obscure characters and the combo's they could pull off, aside from all my favorites.

Plus, KOF '98 had a great last boss...Omega Rugal. Yeah, Rugal has appeared in the KOF series before, but he was actually scary in this one! The way he bursts out of the wires in coming out of his sleep...that intro had me on the edge of my seat the first time I saw that! I still tense up when I face him when I replay it yet again. I didn't think SNK could top the boss intro in Fatal Fury 2, the whole "I'll chisel your gravestone -sleep well!" line from Krauser, as the camera slowly panned down from the ceiling of his castle, the classical music piping good and loud...but they did it with Omega Rugal.

The only thing that comes to mind that could've made KOF '98 better would be if Geese Howard were in it. Though Omega Rugal is a total badass, Geese is the man! He's been an interesting character since day one to me, and I would've loved seeing him in '98, but oh well...

--------------------
Like Girls?
Like Real Barefoot Girls?!
Then this place is for you!
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com
Your best source for some Real Deal Hardcore Barefoot Girls!

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lou, you'll be pleased to hear that I've been playing KoF '98 in particular pretty nonstop this past week. I've been meaning to ask you this for a while but always forget. Which 3 characters do you usually choose for your team?

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I go with a pre-generated team, I'll usually pick Team USA. Sure, they may be the "parody" team nobody takes seriously, but I take them serious as a heart-attack. Lucky Glauber and Brian Battler both have moves out the wa-zoo, and chaining these moves is pretty much a snap. They have the speed and the strength advantages, whereas most characters have one or the other to various degrees, but not as much as these guys. Heavy D on the other hand offers a bit more strategy to his moves because not only can he do all his basic moves, special or otherwise, but you can do his "warm-up" one-two punches, and then add variations to these moves, sometimes tripling or quadrupling the damage they inflict, providing you don't get hit first before you start it up.

I also like the Team Japan, the Fatal Fury Team, Team Korea (Chang is a really fun character to play once you learn to compensate for his slow movement), the Ikari Team (Clark is the man!), and of course the Psycho Soldiers.

Who do you like to play as? [Smile]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Originally posted by Lou Gojira:
Who do you like to play as? [Smile]

I always manually assemble my teams because I like to mix & match certain characters. My team will usually consist of Iori, Mai, and the 3rd slot is a toss-up between either Ralf, Joe, or Kyo depending on my mood at the time. hehe For post-'98 KoF games, I like to use King as my striker.

[Hop]

Calico Jack

Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got into King of Fighters in the Arcade. I always played Street Fighter II, Golden Ax, WWF Royal Rumble (the one with Mr. Perfect, Ted Dibase, Boss Man, Road Warriors, etc.), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and X-Men.

I just got KOF Maximum Impact and then decided to try out some of the 2D versions out for PS2. I got KOF 02/03 and I see there is another one with 00/01 or something like that. I am so confused about all these years. Are the games different or are they like Capcom's ploy of putting Street Fighter out in 50 different variations (hyper, championship, alpha, etc.)?

- Patrick

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18258 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
I am so confused about all these years. Are the games different or are they like Capcom's ploy of putting Street Fighter out in 50 different variations (hyper, championship, alpha, etc.)?

Yeah, it's basically the same type of ploy, Patrick. The King of Fighters series began in 1994, and there's been a new one every year since then. For the most part, the changes from one game to the next are minor with regard to the character sprites themselves and their abilities. The major difference between them is the new collection of background scenes in which the fights take place, and the new boss you must defeat at the end. Character availability, special moves and gameplay rules also change a little bit along the way, like the inception of the Striker system that began in KoF '99. I'm a fan of the entire series but yeah, even I'd have to admit that they're really just carbon copies of each other when it comes right down to it. I just love 'em because I love how the sprites look, move and interact with each other in ways that I haven't found any other fighting games to do quite as well.

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

I don't know Brother CJ, saying the words "carbon" and "copy" in the context of the King of Fighters series is kinda' harsh. Granted the changes started getting fewer as the series progressed, but when the series started out, the changes were blatant from year to year.

One thing that makes a huge difference in the gameplay were the play modes. This is an aspect captured quite nicely in '98 ('94 and '95 were strictly "Extra" gameplay), because that installment gave you the option of playing either the "Advance" or "Extra" modes. I personally liked Advance better because you got a barrel-roll instead of a side-step, plus your power meter filled up on its own without having to take time out to charge it up.

Also, a lot of special moves got revamped from episode to episode, mainly projectiles getting scaled back, or improved upon. I personally liked the idea that a lot of projectiles got cut in half, making you actually have to fight it out, rather than "fireball somebody to death".

The character sprites got major overhauls sometimes too. Just compare Team USA in '94 to their appearance in '98, or Robert Garcia from game to game, or for that matter Sie Kensou, and how he lost practically every chi based move once Bao came onto the scene (being as Bao is a psychic parasite).

Character moves got a lot of changes too. Look at how Terry Bogard got a slide kick added to his arsenal, aside from how his Power Dunk and Lightening Tackle are executed from game to game.

Not saying Brother CJ is wrong here Patrick, he's just coming from another angle than I am toward the series. I'd argue that each installment has so many changes up until 2000, (I can't attest to '01 or higher) that each one is worth getting, however, he's right in his overall assessment there are a lot of similarities in the look and feel of each installment.

Also, if you're one to dig storylines in a video game like I am, you'll want to check out each installment because of story arc's and character developments. There are different last bosses for a reason, as well as the different backgrounds, and the reasons are very cool. [Thumbs Up]

*edit: BTW, CJ, try placing Joe as your Striker instead of a playable character. With the right timing, he's probably one of the more devastating Strikers to be had! [Cool]

[ March 24, 2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Lou Gojira ]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links