Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » What are you reading? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are you reading?
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody reading a particular book right now? If so, what is it? [Smile]

I'm about to finish up Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. I've been pining to read that book ever since I saw the movie, and heard that the book was so much different from it, and finally spotted a paperback of it at a peddler's market for $2.50 last Sunday. Good book, an easy read, but the big gripe I have about it is, well, two things:

1. He (Mr. Heinlein) seems to get lost in explaining a lot of futuristic military rankings and things, to the point to where I want to go on and skip past all that stuff. I don't skip it, but at times I had to catch myself.
&
2. I was hoping he'd go into more detail on the Bugs and the whole planet of Klendathu. The book makes more sense than the movie, and actually explains why they just didn't bomb the planet to pieces from space, but still I was hoping for more background info on how these Bugs operate and how they evolved.
(okay, another)
3. No real explanation how the Bugs were able to wipe out Buenos Aires from light years away. At least the movie did that by using the asteroid idea.

The good points are:
1. The Troopers are fighting in mech suits, which makes a world more sense since this is supposed to be the future, and the suits sound cool as hell (would've loved to see them in the movie).
2. The Klendathens aren't as dumb as they were in the movie. The Warrior Bugs have projectile attacks, they don't just overwhelm the Troopers in hordes, which makes them a lot more of an adversary.
3. Johnny "Juanito" Rico is a lot more bad-ass, and the military infrastructure is a lot more feasible sounding. No co-ed shower scenes. [Big Grin]

If anybody liked the movie, and personally I dug it WAY more than Independance Day, being as both movies were released around the same time, pick up the book. You'll enjoy it. [Thumbs Up]

So, what are you currently reading? [Smile]

--------------------
Like Girls?
Like Real Barefoot Girls?!
Then this place is for you!
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com
Your best source for some Real Deal Hardcore Barefoot Girls!

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleddogg
All Pro Poster
Member # 881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleddogg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Germs" by Judy Miller

An interesting read... She's one of the folks here in the US that got some anthrax-laced mail a few years back. Her book gives some pretty interesting insights into the whole middle-east situation, the bio-weapons field and world politics. Not exactly an uplifting read, but interesting.

Posts: 521 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mystik
All Pro Poster
Member # 1420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mystik   Email mystik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of books:

"Richard Meier: Architect Vol. 4" (englufed in this one)
"The Fountainhead" Ayn Rand (have read it before, but its awesome)
"The Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary Architecture" Phaidon
"Santiago Calatrava: Complete Works"

I can never have too much information, and each book has it's own ideas to share. Very cool stuff.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleddogg
All Pro Poster
Member # 881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleddogg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhh yes... "Who is John Galt?" ;-)
Posts: 521 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2 X 4
Major Player
Member # 2886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2 X 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lessee, I just started God's Politics by Rev. Jim Wallis. I also shall be starting R.U. Sirius' new tome on countercultures throughout history, a couple of Noam Chomsky's volumes, and a book about how drugs influenced post-WWII America entitled Can't Find My Way Home. And I also have read the two newest American Splendor anthologies.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting sounding stuff everybody. [Cool]

quote:
"The Fountainhead" Ayn Rand
I'm gonna have to sit down and read some Ayn Rand one day...I've heard so many people mention her name, and I have yet to read that first book by her. Usually, the book I hear mentioned is "Atlus Shrugged", so naturally my curiosity is up about that book, but is "The Fountainhead" a better book to look into first?

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleddogg
All Pro Poster
Member # 881

IMHO, Re: Ayn Rand's books, I thought AS was the better read, but all in all, neither tome really did a whole lot for me... Kinda an empty/shallow portrait of humanity, I thought. But your mileage may vary. ;-)

[ April 08, 2005, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: sleddogg ]

sleddogg
All Pro Poster
Member # 881

================================================
QUOTE--- 2X4 said:
"a book about how drugs influenced post-WWII America entitled Can't Find My Way Home"
================================================

Also a great tune! By Blind Faith.
Think I'll go give it a listen right now. ;-)
Haven't heard that one in awhile.

wvcple2003
Hall Of Famer
Member # 5268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wvcple2003   Email wvcple2003   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wife and i usually read a cple of books a week, but the most recent is the "A Child Called it", series. If you want to read some fucked up, child abuse, bullshit, then read this series. We swear that when your finished reading about half-way thru the first book, you'll wanta find the kids mother and pour battery acid on her face, while cutting her limbs off with a rusty fish skewer.
Posts: 1061 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sasha
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had the time.....I LOVE READING!!!!

--------------------
Xoxoxo Sasha

essenceofsasha.com

You wanna play with my warm hosed feet. Don't you?

Posts: 2077 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
Originally posted by sleddogg:
IMHO, Re: Ayn Rand's books, I thought AS was the better read, but all in all, neither tome really did a whole lot for me... Kinda an empty/shallow portrait of humanity, I thought. But your mileage may vary. ;-)

Thanks for the recommendation Bro. [Thumbs Up]

I gotta finish this college text book on Nordic Mythology a doctor lent me at work before I go book-hunting again anytime soon so I can get him his book back. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
Originally posted by Sasha:
I wish I had the time.....I LOVE READING!!!!

Do what I do if time is short, but the urge to read is high...read comic books! [Smile]

In fact, if you want some recommendations on some good comic books, let me know. I can talk comics all day. [Big Grin]

And don't worry, I wouldn't recommend something testosterone driven like the old Conan magazines, unless of course you'd like me to. [Wink] [Big Grin]

I'm starting to re-read my Battle Angel Alita comics tomorrow. Excellent story, great art, and word around the campfire has it that James Cameron is supposed to be directing a live-action movie based on that comic. It'll probably suck, but here's hoping otherwise... [Fingers Crossed]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

mystik
All Pro Poster
Member # 1420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mystik   Email mystik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too dont have much time to read, but need to more. Theory about architects: The more you know, the more you make. I loved the Fountainhead, it's probably my favorite book (novel)of all time. The guy I can really relate to, he's into his own self morality; otherwise not a sellout. Doesn't give in to the media or otherwise. VERY good book, couldnt put it down. Highly recommended.

P.S. It's about an architect. lol.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sasha
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the Foutain Head and Atlas shrugged in College.Two of my favorites....

--------------------
Xoxoxo Sasha

essenceofsasha.com

You wanna play with my warm hosed feet. Don't you?

Posts: 2077 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleddogg
All Pro Poster
Member # 881

Just to clarify... I absolutely agree that both AS & TF are worth readin'... I guess I'm just not much for 'objectivist' philosophy, that's all. Kant didn't do alot for me either.

Nonetheless, as Mystik alluded to, Rand definitely had a talent for creating compelling characters... both "Dagney" & ol' "Howard Roark" (sic?) made for quite an interesting tale. ;-)

[ April 11, 2005, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: sleddogg ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links