Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » British TV in America (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: British TV in America
Sam 4 Feet
Major Player
Member # 2222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam 4 Feet   Email Sam 4 Feet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres a question to you guys who are from america.
Do British TV programmes like "eastenders" and "The Bill"(my favourite programme) get show on american TV and if so do you watch them?

--------------------
"And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing
mothers: they shall bow down to thee with their face toward the earth, and
lick up the dust of thy feet . . ." —Isaiah 49:23

Posts: 115 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam 4 Feet:
Do British TV programmes like "eastenders" and "The Bill"(my favourite programme) get show on american TV and if so do you watch them?

I've never heard of The Bill, but Eastenders used to be carried on public television stations regularly a number of years back and I did indeed watch it back then. Those same public stations also carried a variety of other British imports which I've watched religiously during the course of my life, amongst which were the likes of Monty Python, Mr. Bean, Black Adder, Benny Hill, Are You Being Served, Thin Blue Line, Keeping Up Appearances, Red Dwarf, Dr. Who, Blakes 7, and many more. Those shows all account for a huge part of my childhood & adolescence, and I love 'em all. Hell, I didn't even miss an episode of Teletubbies!

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot to mention Tripods! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like Girls?
Like Real Barefoot Girls?!
Then this place is for you!
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com
Your best source for some Real Deal Hardcore Barefoot Girls!

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lou Gojira:

Good catch, Lou! Not only did I watch Tripods, but the opening theme music even influenced one of my own songs in '92!

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Calico Jack:
quote:

Good catch, Lou! Not only did I watch Tripods, but the opening theme music even influenced one of my own songs in '92!

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

Cool! I used to love that theme music of the show...really stands out in my memory of it.

Speaking of Tripods, I thought the effects on there were pretty awesome too. Granted the Tripods themselves looked like guys in green costumes, but when the giant mechanized Tripods got called out, the effects looked pretty sweet! I used to like the red ones in particular, fitted with the guns.

Hey Brother CJ, how can I go about hearing some of your work? I'd be interested in checking it out. [Cool]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Hey Brother CJ, how can I go about hearing some of your work?

Good question. Most of my original stuff isn't stuff that I've really made available as my day job is basically playing guitar or keys on other people's recordings. hehe I generally reserve my own original material exclusively for performing live rather than recordings since I always play them a little differently each time I do them, and thus I don't really feel they have any definitive versions. Got any requests? hehe

[Big Grin]

Calico Jack

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
Got any requests?
Yeah! Play "We Are 138" by The Misfits! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Yeah! Play "We Are 138" by The Misfits!

I'll see what I can do. hehe

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hott3028   Email hott3028       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember a real funny show called "Dave Allen At Large"? He was a comic that sat in a leather chair and would sip whiskey and smoke. He had some pretty funny jokes, and the skits in between were real funny too!
Posts: 292 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam 4 Feet
Major Player
Member # 2222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam 4 Feet   Email Sam 4 Feet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt realise that so many british TV programmes are broadcasted in america.
I know its not right but alot of people that i know think that americans lifestyals are way different from english.
From TV people get impressions, so my impression was that amercans watched stuff like the pleaentville programme in the movie pleasentville, you know the kind where they say everything is "swell".
From amercans that ive actually talked to they had impressions of the english also, that we sit around drinking tea and eating scones whilst watching croquet or cricket.

I went to florida once and I was at the beach, I had just finished a go fo a jet sky, and an amercan boy only about 7 of 8 asked me if we have jet skys in england and eventhought we had hourse and cart instead of cars.
i know i ramble on about unrelated things but just wanted to let you guys know and wanted to ask if you have similar opinions to that little boy

--------------------
"And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing
mothers: they shall bow down to thee with their face toward the earth, and
lick up the dust of thy feet . . ." —Isaiah 49:23

Posts: 115 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Originally posted by Sam 4 Feet:
From TV people get impressions, so my impression was that amercans watched stuff like the pleaentville programme in the movie pleasentville, you know the kind where they say everything is "swell".

As an American living in contemporary America, I'd have to say that it's just the opposite if anything. Pleasantville was poking fun at the 1950s American television subculture in which the programming was indeed overwhelmingly sanitized and dare I say peachy. However, today's American programming has seemingly done a complete 180º turn from that. I just turned my TV on right this minute and flipped around the dial to the different stations. Here's some of what I saw: somebody getting shot at, somebody being given a paternity test, somebody jumping from an airplane, somebody failing a lie detector test after having cheated on their lover, somebody in divorce court, somebody having sex, and all accompanied by plenty of commercial advertising. Pleasantville it definitely isn't. hehe

[Cheers]

Calico Jack

P.S. - For what it's worth, I've never wondered if a person in England might have a jet ski. I'm not totally surprised that a child of 7 or 8 might wonder about that, but when you find people in their 30s & 40s who honestly expect to find horse-drawn carriages lining the streets of London, I can see where that might be problematic. hehe

hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hott3028   Email hott3028       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, they don't ride horse and buggys in England?
Posts: 292 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hott3028:
Remember a real funny show called "Dave Allen At Large"? He was a comic that sat in a leather chair and would sip whiskey and smoke. He had some pretty funny jokes, and the skits in between were real funny too!

Gawd! I loved Dave Allen! I used to watch "The Goodies" as well when I first discovered British comedies on PBS back in '76 when I was a wee pup. They were showing those right after Monty Python if I remember correctly. I still watch the comedies on PBS on Sunday night, but all I catch is Keeping Up Appearances before I doze off.

--------------------
LeDaemon's Clips http://www.clips4sale.com/880

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
wanted to ask if you have similar opinions to that little boy
No, I've never tried to draw conclusions about the people, I've just drawn conclusions (and they may be inaccurate) about the types of programming you good folks like to watch. For instance, I've always been a big fan of The Tripods, Doctor Who, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Red Dwarf, and when I see shows like that, shows that need to rely on special effects to an extent, then compare them to sci-fi shows filmed here in the States, it seems to me that the British are less occupied with flashy effects and more determined to get a good story told.

I for one tend to respect that approach, because to me it seems like Hollywood will either crank out a turd of a script and try to let the multi-million dollar effects try to save it, or they'll do yet another hum-drum predictable kind of movie or show, but nobody raises hell because the effects are so much candy to the eye.

I kind of compare British programming to Japanese programming, of which I'm a huge fan of too. Again, the goal seems to be getting the story told, rather than wowing people with big-budget effects and allowing the story to suffer or just not caring about it at all. In-turn, this kind of leads me to think more highly of the people these shows are geared toward originally. It's like they seem to have a higher standard for a quality storyline and character development rather than how "real" something can be made to look.

BTW, I used to go out of my way to watch Danger Mouse back in the day on Nickelodeon. [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hit the head on the nail Lou! I friggen HATE big Hollywood movies that spend all the time with CGI special effects and then run out of money for a good script. I love being able to see a movie every once in a while that has good dialogue and lacks in the gratuitous explosions and action department.

One thing I especially love about the British programming is the people that are cast in their television shows (hell and many of their movies) are people that you actually see in real life and not the "cosmetically or surgically" altered folks in most of our programming here. Age doesn't seem to be a factor either. There seems to be lots of programming geared towards the over 60 age group starring a cast over 60.

--------------------
LeDaemon's Clips http://www.clips4sale.com/880

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links