Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » A question for guitar players (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A question for guitar players
Ticklingsolesmaster
Major Player
Member # 14850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticklingsolesmaster   Email Ticklingsolesmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a dumb question i'm sure and i'm sure shows how much i know about musical instruments. But can a person with small hands still be able to play a Acoustic Guitar or Bass Guitar?

I'm just wondering this because i was born a pre-mature baby. And i have been kind of sorta thinking about trying to play a guitar or to see at least if i could do it. Something new and interesting i suppose.

--------------------
Passing ghosts heres the host
talk of nothing matters most
urban fracture whats the matter
only i am lost

Posts: 224 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ticklingsolesmaster:
can a person with small hands still be able to play a Acoustic Guitar or Bass Guitar?

Oh yes, people with small hands can definitely still play. I'm a guitar player by trade, and I've long held the belief that large and small hands each have their own unique advantages. I myself have large hands with long fingers, the benefit of which is an ability to stretch across a great distance and thus cover more fret territory whether it be across the freboard or thumbing around the top of the neck a la Hendrix.

However, I've known and worked with quite a few killer guitar players in my day who had small hands with fingers on the short side of the spectrum. Because of their small hands, the two guys in particular that I'm thinking of had the ability to be really speedy on the fretboard because there was literally less finger getting in the way between them and the notes they wanted to play.

Bass guitar can sometimes prove a tad more challenging to someone with small hands because it's a physically larger instrument with a longer scale neck and it contains frets that are spaced much wider apart than a guitar's. As such, long arms & larger hands generally better facilitate the bass guitar, but none of these rules are etched in stone. I've taught people with small hands to play guitar & bass, so there really are no physical limitations in my opinion if you set your mind to it, and there are certainly tons of professionals in the music world who've been a testament to that.

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwistedMethod
Major Player
Member # 13216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwistedMethod   Email TwistedMethod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah you should be able to do it bro. I'm a bass player and only 5'6 so I'm sure I don't have the biggest hands in the world. Some brands of basses are larger and have longer necks than others so you pretty much kinda gotta go and try some out.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticklingsolesmaster
Major Player
Member # 14850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticklingsolesmaster   Email Ticklingsolesmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice Calico Jack and TwistedMethod. What's easier for first timers to start out on Acoustic or Bass? or Is does it make much of a difference?

--------------------
only i am lost

Posts: 224 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwistedMethod
Major Player
Member # 13216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwistedMethod   Email TwistedMethod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't have any experience with guitar really, but I thought bass was pretty easy to learn. I think it's just more of a preference of which you'd like more. After all they all have the same notes [Wink]

And on a side if you play bass you can opt for the bumper sticker and pick up line of "You know what they say....Bass players finger best" tried and true my friend lol

Posts: 127 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started on bass guitar and switched exclusively to guitar about 6 years ago. If the size of the instrument is a challenge for you you may want to go to a music store and hold a 3/4 size bass or guitar which are made for kids and may be able to accomodate smaller hands. My first bass guitar was like that, but I eventually traded up to a normal size as I learned to play.

I would suggest an acoustic guitar would be the best choice of instrument to learn to play on. Highly portable, no need for a power supply, plus you must learn how to play properly without having effects like distortion hiding mistakes. Playing on an acoustic as opposed to an electric will also strengthen your fingers and build callouses on the tips faster than an electric which is going to happen when you practice alot.

Best thing to do is I mentioned before, is go to a music store and hold different instruments and find the one that feels most comfortable in your own hands. Since you're a beginner I would suggest taking along a friend that is a player that can help you pick a decent axe to start with. A good setup on a new instrument will also help your playing too. After you get the basics down with an acoustic and if you are still into it after a few months then I would invest the dough into the electric guitar, the amp, and all the other goodies that will max out the plastic in your wallet.

A few toys in my "playroom"
 -

--------------------
LeDaemon's Clips http://www.clips4sale.com/880

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticklingsolesmaster
Major Player
Member # 14850

quote:
Originally posted by ledaemon:
A few toys in my "playroom"
 -

Wow nice set up there ledaemon [Big Grin]

Thanks i'll def take all of your advice and suggestions into thought and think everything over man. Thanks again.

--------------------
only i am lost

TwistedMethod
Major Player
Member # 13216

Yeah actually Fender has a brand by the name of Squier that makes smaller sized instruments. Also I think older like 80's early 90's Fenders and Ernie Ball Music Man basses were built smaller. Just something to check out.
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first bass I bought was a second hand Hohner I picked up like in '89. Apparantly harmonicas ain't all they make! It was a smaller size too.

--------------------

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oscarthemonkey
The Legend
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oscarthemonkey   Email oscarthemonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree that the proper model of instrument makes a difference- I have smaller hands and have no problems. I have played some Fenders with huge necks that did not work. My son has a Schecter Studio Exotic Bass that has an amazingly thin neck-as do most of the Studio and Stilletto lines from Schecter. He has big hands however.

LeDaemon is right in suggesting that if you go with guitar instead of bass to start with acoustic rather than electric. My daughter has a 3/4 scale Daisy Rock that plays very well.

The world needs more bass players, however.

And- don't buy your instrument from some corporate place like Guitar Center.

LeDaemon- was that Honer a Jackbass?

--------------------
Latina Feet Can't Be Beat!

Posts: 4819 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oscarthemonkey
The Legend
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oscarthemonkey   Email oscarthemonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what I'm playing these days-

http://img7.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc235&image=63465_guitars.jpg

--------------------

Posts: 4819 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bondo Left         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet line up of guitars guys! I'll have to take a snap of my babies.

Small hands huh? I sort of have a similar issue with somewhat shorter fingers. Being able to master the neck is in your strength and agility. Warm up exercises are very key, and practice ALOT.

"Practice" is only a negative word if you don't enjoy what you're practicing. Also, I've learned that a metronome is an excellent tool to utilize. Slow down, solidify, speed up.

Look at Spud Webb. He overcame his size difference (5' 7") in the NBA and could slam dunk with the best of them.

Bondo

--------------------

Posts: 5329 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

quote:
Originally posted by oscarthemonkey:

LeDaemon- was that Honer a Jackbass?

Gawd, don't get me lying to you about that. I bought that thing back when I was in college in the late 80's. The only surviving record I have of that guitar and old Crate amp I had were from some pics I took of an girlfriend from back than that I had come over in various states of dress to take "art pics" for practicing for our drawing class. The ulterior motive was to take lots of pics of her feet pushed into my face.

It wasn't a Jack Bass. I think those are the goofy looking ones without the head on them. A punk pal of mine had one of those around that time. Here's the girl and the bass after I had broken the g-string on it. The guitar not her swimsuit...
 -

What a majority of those old pics were really of... [Laugh]
 -

--------------------

oscarthemonkey
The Legend
Member # 1692

My first guitar was a folk sized Honer acoustic.

Great strategy on those art photos. Her soles look pretty tasty. I think the next pedicure my wife gets I'll do a feet and guitars photo set.

Hey ticklingsolesmaster- after we've told you to start with acoustic guitar- I'm actually selling that white Strat in the pic of my guitars
if you are interested....

--------------------

Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bondo Left         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first gee-tar was a Charvelle Charvette with the reverse headstock for easy underhanded tuning. It was great for heavy handed crunchy palm mutes, but that's about it.

These days I play a Joe Satriani series JS1000 Ibanez. That baby plays like buttah. I also have a Kramer NightSwan and the meanest, ugliest looking B.C. Rich bitch the world may have ever seen.

Actually, here's a shot I took of Layla Mercedes with my B.C. Rich. I call this photo "Beauty and the Bitch"...and just to clarify to keep any rumors from starting, Layla is the Beauty (like there was any doubt).

-

Bondo

--------------------

Posts: 5329 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links