Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » I keep coming across "should of" instead of "should have"... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I keep coming across "should of" instead of "should have"...
Hal
Member # 3484

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don`t want to sound like a jackass....I´m just curious (as a non-english speaker).

Wouldn`t the correct grammar be "should have"?

Almost on a daily basis I read "should of" somewhere. I even read it in an english language music magazine the other day...the entire interview kept saying "I should of done this", etc.

Thanks for your help.
-Hal-

PS. I didn`t find anything on the net about this.

--------------------
More beautiful bare feet at Toes-in-Action and TiA Video Clips

Posts: 6150 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RPM
The King Of Feet
Member # 2895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RPM   Author's Homepage   Email RPM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the correct way is "should have".. but in speech, it sounds so much like "should of" that now.. I'm assuming.. folks just write it as such.

"I should have taken the bus today" is proper

"I should of taken the bus today" is not correct at all... yet that is how it tends to sound in speech.

RPM

--------------------
the higher the better the heel.
www.highheeledwomen.phpbbserver.com/

Posts: 6113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elvzz
Hall Of Famer
Member # 14178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elvzz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RPM you are one of the most dope dudes on this board and you may realize, but I know, that a number models that I have landed off boards or via e-mail said they came over for the shoot unaccompanied because of my writing style (proper spelling, grammar, punctuation). I am with you on a number of your posts, especially (xpecially) this one.

Some how, "how come" has creeped into all hollywood scripts and common speach. How tiring is it to say, "Why what?" to anyone spewing "How come," all the time?

--------------------
 -
http://www.sexylongtoes.com
http://clips4sale.com/store/4445
http://images4sale.com/store/4445

Posts: 1704 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tee hee!

Personally I hate when people want to "AX" me a question.

--------------------
LeDaemon's Clips http://www.clips4sale.com/880

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluetoelover
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didj jeet yet?

Did you eat yet?

I remember my math teacher put that onto the board one day...he was a chronic alki. But I never forgot that he put up a bunch of other ones as well that he would hear in the hallway.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
footjoyboy
The King Of Feet
Member # 26478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for footjoyboy   Email footjoyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What may be considered incorrect today may be acceptable in the future; that's how languages change and evolve.

Judgment used to be judgement.
Color is still colour in many places.
Phraseology works the same way.

_fjb_

--------------------
https://pixady.com/image/0893/

Posts: 5992 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies, guys.

quote:
Originally posted by footjoyboy:
What may be considered incorrect today may be acceptable in the future; that's how languages change and evolve.

_fjb_

I think I once read that quite a few words in American English were changed because Noah Webster (the guy who published the first American dictionary in the early 19th century) wasn`t too fond of the British and "the King`s English". So he changed the English language by simplifying the spelling of certain words (colour/color, etc). It was his way of emancipating himself from the British crown.
I believe in the UK you would still write judgement and colour.

I don`t think grammatical mistakes (meaning whole sentence structures) are ever going to be "dictionary" correct. But please correct me if I´m wrong.

In German we have a similar "problem". The correct phrase would be "groesser als" (translated: "bigger than") but loads of people say "groesser wie" ("bigger as").
Even though half the German nation uses the grammatically incorrect phrase (since a few decades) it is still incorrect and would count as a written mistake in a school exam.

-Hal-

--------------------

Posts: 6150 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Del Amitri
The King Of Feet
Member # 2724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Del Amitri   Email Ben Del Amitri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeDaemon:
Tee hee!

Personally I hate when people want to "AX" me a question.

I have a standard retort for that, as it is one of my least favorite things to hear:

Question: Hey I need to AX you a question

Reply: Sure, let me see if I can chop down an answer for you.

--------------------
Respectfully,

Ben

-
Malory in Signature

Posts: 5772 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Del Amitri
The King Of Feet
Member # 2724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Del Amitri   Email Ben Del Amitri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hal:
Thanks for your replies, guys.

quote:
Originally posted by footjoyboy:

_fjb_

I think I once read that quite a few words in American English were changed because Noah Webster (the guy who published the first American dictionary in the early 19th century) wasn`t too fond of the British and "the King`s English". So he changed the English language by simplifying the spelling of certain words (colour/color, etc). It was his way of emancipating himself from the British crown.
I believe in the UK you would still write judgement and colour.

I don`t think grammatical mistakes (meaning whole sentence structures) are ever going to be "dictionary" correct. But please correct me if I´m wrong.

In German we have a similar "problem". The correct phrase would be "groesser als" (translated: "bigger than") but loads of people say "groesser wie" ("bigger as").
Even though half the German nation uses the grammatically incorrect phrase (since a few decades) it is still incorrect and would count as a written mistake in a school exam.

-Hal-

To further expand on RPM's (excellent) reply - one of the things that exacerbates the wrongful use of "should of" by functionally-literate adults in this country, is the common written contraction of the word / expression:

"Should've" ... it's a grammatically correct and acceptable, written use of the phrase, and further mimics the sound of "should of".

Incidentally, your German paralel is a good one.

--------------------
Respectfully,

Ben

-
Malory in Signature

Posts: 5772 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
russ
Elite Trooper
Member # 10866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for russ   Author's Homepage   Email russ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i actually heard that "ax" is a proper way of pronouncing "ask" because the original spelling was "aks."

I can't remember the entire backstory but i heard it on an NPR program called "way with words."

Posts: 482 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iohannes Volk
The Legend
Member # 13384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iohannes Volk   Email Iohannes Volk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it when people ask "how come?" I don't know why, it just irritates me. The worst for me is chatspeak. That, I absolutely loathe. To this day, I always chat or AIM with proper grammar and pronounciation, unless I'm spelling out a word that I use in real life casual speak, like "gonna" for instance, or when I shorten words that end in "-ing" into "-in'". I do it on purpose to give the illusion that I chat the way I talk.
Posts: 2681 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FailureSexual
Hall Of Famer
Member # 15094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FailureSexual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 2128 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perfectpeds
The Legend
Member # 29295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perfectpeds   Email perfectpeds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see I have arrived late to this thread and am not surprised to see that those participating are members who have always expressed themselves in full, complete, gramatically correct and punctuated sentences! [Smile]

Le Daemon brings up another good point. I must agree that whether or not it originated as "aks" it has not been spelled that way since I have been around (and that's starting to be a very long time)and have never seen it or heard it that way. Ask and you shall receive! Ax and you'll be a few inches shorter!

Ben and RPM have given great feedback and examples for the reason some people may say "should of" instead of the correct "should have". I believe some of this stems from the new way of teaching in some of the schools. I know I was shocked when I found out that instead of teaching the correct spelling of a word from day 1, they were teaching phonetic pronunciation instead and it was acceptable for the child to write "mission" as "mishun".

I also agree with Salvy_Mic that the IM, AIM, test messaging and such only serves to decrease the individuals knowledge of correct grammar, spelling etc. Everyone laughs at me because I have trouble writing any other way than in full sentences. Thank God I have unlimited texting on my phone! LOL

bluetoelover, you make me laugh. I didn't even need to see the translation and knew exactly what you were asking! LOL I must say Bostonians butcher the English language on a daily basis if not with running words together, with our unique "accent" LOL

fjb - you are right that language does change and that perhaps in the future it may be perfectly acceptable to say "I axed you didj jeet yet? LOL

OK - I guess I've rambled on enough here!

"gotta go!" [Smile]

--------------------
"People will always be tempted to wipe their feet on anything with 'welcome' written on it."
Andy Partridge (now here is an idea!)

Posts: 2959 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FootLongSub Zero
The Outcast
Member # 19380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FootLongSub Zero   Email FootLongSub Zero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 'should of' but should have used should have' but 'should of' sounds more natural to me than 'should have'. I'll try to use 'should have' next time instead of 'should of'. So if you see me use 'should of' instead of 'should have' then correct me please by sayin' you should have use 'should have' and should not have used 'should of' [Laugh]

--------------------
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr Emmit L. Brown (Back To The Future)

Posts: 7894 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

[Laugh]

-Hal-

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links