Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » What are your all-time favorite live albums/recordings? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What are your all-time favorite live albums/recordings?
2 X 4
Major Player
Member # 2886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2 X 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all of you music fans out there: what are your all-time favorite live recordings (official or otherwise)?

Mine are (in no particular order):

Jimi Hendrix Band Of Gypsys
'' Live At the Fillmore East

Miles Davis Live At the Fillmore East, March 7, 1970
'' Black Beauty: Live At the Fillmore West

John Coltrane The Complete Live At the Village Vanguard
'' Live In Seattle
'' Reflections Vol. 1
'' Live in Japan
'' The Olajituni Concert: The Last Live Recording

The Grateful Dead Live Dead
'' Two From the Vault
'' 2/3/68
'' 2/14/68
'' 8/21/68
'' 8/23/68
'' 10/12/68
'' 1/25/69
'' 2/21/69
'' 2/22/69
'' 2/27/69
'' 2/28/69
'' 3/1/69
'' 4/6/69
'' 4/21/69
'' 4/22/69
'' 4/27/69
'' 6/5/69
'' 2/13/70
'' 5/2/70
'' 4/14/72
'' 5/8/72
'' 5/18/72
'' 5/26/72
'' 8/27/72
'' 9/21/72
'' 9/24/72
'' 9/28/72
'' 12/31/72
'' 2/15/73
'' 10/19/73
'' 10/30/73
'' 12/6/73
'' 2/24/74
'' 5/14/74
'' 6/18/74
'' Fallout From the Phil Zone

Yes Yessongs
'' 2/28/74

[ February 23, 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: 2 X 4 ]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hott3028   Email hott3028       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan

This is the best live album because it captures the group the way they are intended to be listened to. No studio gloss, loud guitar, loud drums, loud vocals and loud Japaneese children screaming theis brains out.

Except for a few other ones, Live albums are a marketing gimmick to rip fans off and make them buy music they already own. Alot of those "Live" albums have studio overdubs and canned audience applause. And lets face it, you have to be a great live act to make a good live album. And even the great ones (Led Zep, Pink Floyd) have mediocre live albums.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sasha
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic 2x4.Come on people chime in!! This is good stuff.

Lets see..

1.Guns and Roses..Live at the Marquee 1987.You'll never find this.Its on Vinyl. I got it in London.

2. FRAMPTON comes alive.....One of the best!

3. Journey Live at the SUMMIT in Houston.(Escape TOUR)MTV did a live show of this in I think in 81 or 82..My friend in the Music biz got a copy for me.!!!!

4. KISS ALIVE---She looked good, she looked hotter then hell!!!! Oh yea........GET UP!!!!! and get your Grandma outta here......Love that album!

5.Come on guys and girls...ZEP!!!! Song remains the same! The midnight showing at your local theater....

6.Cheap trick.Live at Budokon..Come a come a baby do it again......

7.UFO STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT
My brother turned me onto this band when I was a kid...This to me is one of the best LIVE albums ever!!!Its in my CD player right now....Doctor Doctor PLEASE..........

8.RUSH 2112 KILLER KILLER KILLER!!!!!!
We are the priest of the temple!!

GUNS AND ROSES LIVE LIKE A $@#!*^ SUICIDE
If you never saw the boys live..YOU MISSED MAGIC!!! Lights went out....AXL and the BOYS hit the stage........BANG!!!!!! NO BULLSHIT!!!

I watched them at the Whiskey and Trubador in HOLLYWOOD when I was a kid,(12,13and 14 yrs old! with my Brother..I will never in my life(music wise of course) be a witness to something so special.They were trully a diamond in the rough in their club days.

9.Rolling Stones GET YER YA YAS OUT
This album is the Rolling stones the way people dont remember the stones..They were the original BAD BOYS!They werent the BEATLES!!

10. AEROSMITH LIVE BOOTLEG
God I loved this bands older work!!!!!MR TYLERS BIG LIPS!!! This album kicks ASS!!!..keep in touch with mama kin...YUMMY!!!!

11. QUEEN LIVE KILLERS
Freddy Mercury RULED!!!! I saw these Guys when I was a young one. They were the loudest band I think I ever saw.

All these albums are in my Rotation during the course of the year!

[ February 23, 2005, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Sasha ]

--------------------
Xoxoxo Sasha

essenceofsasha.com

You wanna play with my warm hosed feet. Don't you?

Posts: 2077 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vasduten
Elite Trooper
Member # 2211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vasduten   Email vasduten       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great thread...

Favorite GD live is the 8-13-74 vault recording, it is, IMHO, the quintessential 70's Dead at their BEST!!!

Although, I am also partial to the 3-1-69 at the Filmore West, so much energy and they play forEVER without stopping!

As for Live "commercial" music, my friend Neil had an original red-vinyl album of "Jimi Hendrix- High, Live and Dirty" It rocks!!! On a side note: Jim Morrisson comes out near the end of the show to "sit in" on vocals, and basically sucks ass. It is interesting, however, when he just yells, "Fuck her in the ass..." over and over again for like 3-4 mins. Classic Morrisson, drunk and high, ackin' stoopit...

Um, I have so many GD bootlegs, and some of them are definately in the "fav." rack, but they are all my favs for different reasons. Just as each day is different, each concert is too. Some stunk a bit, but have bright spots, and some just are so on-time and high that they just carry you away on a wave of music.
That is why I love 70's Dead so much: It's just a group of people playing music with the purpose of "tripping" somewhere on it, without a ton of effects, and it is reflective of the band, the audience, and everyone's collective consciousness at that moment. Just good, clean music to "take you there".

--------------------
I know when I'm licked... all over.

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2 X 4
Major Player
Member # 2886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2 X 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep vasduten, although my favorite period of Dead music will probably always be the high-energy days of 1968-69, I have also fallen in love with the period of 1972-74. They had a lot more songs by this time, they were playing with more nuances of tone, volume, tempo, etc., and although they didn't jam on practically every song they way they had in the late '60s, when they DID go out, they went to places that few rock bands--heck, few music ensembles, period--even dreamed of, let alone tried to travel to. Improvisational vehicles like "Playin' In the Band," "The Other One," and especially my favorite, "Dark Star," were now routinely in the range of 30-40 minutes, sometimes even longer than that. And no longer would these journeys restricted to whatever key the song was in--or any "normal" key at all! This was interstellar jazz/classical/electronic weirdness (speaking of which, I would love to get my hands on a 1974 show that had "Seastones" on it) and saw the band reach heights they never quite reached again.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vasduten
Elite Trooper
Member # 2211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vasduten   Email vasduten       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which show was that? I'll start looking...
Seastones? wasn't that the donna and keith album?

I agree with you completely here, and even though I did see som shows that were good in the 90's, the 72 to 74 period is my fav...
Bill Graham once said," They aren't the best at what they do, but they are the ONLY ones who do what they do."

--------------------

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vasduten
Elite Trooper
Member # 2211

test

--------------------

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite all-time live recordings, huh? Interesting question. I haven't really given a whole lot of thought to that because I'm generally partial to studio recordings myself. I suppose Iron Maiden's Live After Death concert album from 1985 would definitely fare remarkably well on my list as one of the best live albums I've heard because it really captures the essence of the band's trademarked sound despite it being taped live in front of a sold out crowd at Long Beach Arena. Great stuff! Another of my all time favorites would be Depeche Mode's double album set entitled 101, recorded live in 1988 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2 X 4
Major Player
Member # 2886

Actually vasduten, the Keith and Donna album was different from the Seastones album, and the live between-set electronic interludes featuring Phil Lesh and Ned Lagin from which the Seastones album took its name.
Wing-Washer
Hall Of Famer
Member # 3013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wing-Washer   Email Wing-Washer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't usually like live recordings. However, I love ACDC Live.

--------------------
When you go home tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow we gave our today.
-John Maxwell Edmonds

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hott3028   Email hott3028       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calico, I'm a big MODE fan, 101 serves it's purpose as a good hits/live album. But since we are on the topic of live albums, "Songs Of Faith And Devotion - LIVE" is a song for song live rendition of their 1993 album. If you are not familiar with the studio version, you might enjoy the live album because it is DM's heaviest guitar album. Plus the songs are real well written.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this is going to be something of a lengthy response because I've got a lot to say on the issue of DM what with them being one of my all-time favorite bands and biggest influences on me as a musician, so here goes.

I'm familiar with Songs of Faith and Devotion, both the studio version and the live version. For what it's intended to be, the live version is an excellent translation of the studio album into the live setting. However, I was always somewhat disappointed with the Songs of Faith and Devotion album in the first place. I remember heading straight over to the record store after school on the day that the "I Feel You" single was released back in 1993. I couldn't help but think that in many ways "I Feel You" lacked a bit of originality as it borrowed various musical ideas regarding structure from "Personal Jesus", only without the same big hit appeal. Then I picked up the full album when it was released shortly thereafter, and it completely fell short of my expecations. I don't think this came as a total surprise to me though, because it was riding on the coattails of Violator, which IMHO remains the pinnacle and crowning jewel of Depeche Mode's career. So I knew going in that chances were pretty good that it wouldn't be nearly as brilliant as Violator, but I hoped that it wouldn't be too far behind. Unfortunately I ended up liking it less than practically all of the DM albums which had come before it. Why? Several reasons, the main one regarding the band's use of a real drum set rather than a drum machine for the first time on record. It felt to me as though they were trying to cash in on the alternative rock scene by changing their image (Dave Gahan's long hair & more scraggly appearance), abandoning their pure electronica roots by having Alan play drums, and basically trying to be something they weren't. Their attempt to infuse a gospel sensibility into tracks like "Condemnation" & "Get Right With Me" seemed to me contrived and wayward at best, with one track pretty much being a carbon copy of the other one albeit at a different tempo.

Having said all that, I don't think that Songs of Faith and Devotion was a total disaster, but rather just what I'd consider to be a low point in their history. On the positive side, it did have three truly stand-out tracks ("Walking in My Shoes", "In Your Room", & "Rush") that made the album worthwhile for me.

So in conclusion, while I'm not really a fan of Songs of Faith and Devotion, I do think that the live version of the album (while wholly unneccessary in my opinion) is still an excellent translation of those songs, and as a matter of fact I happen to think that the live version of "Walking in My Shoes" is even better than the studio cut!

[Hop]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sasha
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calico,

Don't get me wrong here. I love DM! I saw two shows about 12 years ago. One show at the Rose Bowl..THEY SUCKED!!!!!! It was one big show of computer generated garbage.
The second show I saw(same tour) was at the Hollywood Paladium(3000 person venue). It was a special show for KROQ. The show was INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!! DM was not made for Arenas and Stadiums.....

--------------------
Xoxoxo Sasha

essenceofsasha.com

Posts: 2077 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

I don't disagree with you in the least, Sasha. I saw them at Madison Square Garden back when they were on tour for Ultra and thought the show was only okay at best. The versions of the songs that ended up on the live 101 album that I mentioned were carefully chosen from a number of sold out nights at the Rose Bowl in '88. So naturally the band selected the best material from those six nights and rejected the rest which wasn't up to par. Not only that, but everything was running directly into the board at those concerts with the intentions of making the live CD, so the sound quality that you hear on the disc is notably better than it would've been if you'd been in the audience. I've been performing electronica in venues of sizes ranging everywhere from tiny to gargantuan, and I completely agree with the assessment that electronic music of this variety frequently carries over much better in a smaller space than in a huge open air stadium or concert arena. I remember thinking the same thing when I saw New Order live at the Meadowlands Arena back in '93. T'was a shame about the sound because they're freaking brilliant!

[Smile]

Calico Jack

Sasha
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1842

I was into that type of Music big time!! One of my favorite live shows ever was the PSYCHEDELIC FURS at the Pantages in Hollywood...I love that band! Those guys were AWESOME!!!I also saw New Order about 10-12 years ago,They played with Echo and the Bunny Men at the PALACE in Hollywood....Killer Show!

--------------------
Xoxoxo Sasha

essenceofsasha.com

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links