Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » What are your all-time favorite live albums/recordings? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What are your all-time favorite live albums/recordings?
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sasha:
I also saw New Order about 10-12 years ago,They played with Echo and the Bunny Men at the PALACE in Hollywood....Killer Show!

That sounds like a real cool bill, Sasha. When I saw New Order at the Meadowlands Arena in 1993 they were headlining a show with Sunscreem and 808 State as the opening acts. Just to be able to say that I saw both 808 State & New Order on the same evening was alone worth the price of the ticket. hehe Those were the types of bands who've had a profound impact on my musical development and my subsequent musical career. You know the groups I'm talking about: Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Joy Division/New Order, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Camouflage, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Modern Talking, Red Flag, and on and on and on. Much of the work I do these days is predominantly guitar-driven and sounds nothing like the new wave I was writing fifteen years ago, but the influence of those bands still remains evident to me every single day.

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hott3028   Email hott3028       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Order says it will play a few shows this spring in NYC and Chicago to warm up for the Reading festival, and in anticipation of their new album.

CJ: you are right on about DM, they were trying to cash in on the new rock scene in '93. And Songs of faith and devotion was a weaker sibling to Violator.

I disagree that Violator was their best. Give Black Celebration a spin. That was their artistic height. Being a big fan, I dont think they went down from their. They continue to make great music. Erasure's new single Breathe is awesome!

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hott3028:
New Order says it will play a few shows this spring in NYC and Chicago to warm up for the Reading festival, and in anticipation of their new album.

Now that's awesome news. I'll definitely check into that action.

quote:
I disagree that Violator was their best. Give Black Celebration a spin. That was their artistic height.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Black Celebration and Some Great Reward are two absolutely brilliant records which lie at the very core foundation of what Depeche Mode is all about. They took new wave dance (often patterned around 4/4 beats) and infused a depressing sentiment into the emotional component of the music which really became their trademark during the 1980s. I personally feel that this trademark of theirs reached its culmination with Violator in 1990 because in addition to lyrically & vocally having mastered that subdued & beautifully depressing quality that had been building on previous efforts, the music itself had finally come to fruition with songs that were truly strong, clubbable dance tunes ("World in My Eyes", "Personal Jesus", "Halo", "Enjoy the Silence", "Policy of Truth") and quiet introspective visions ("Waiting for the Night", "Sweetest Perfection", "Blue Dress", "Clean"). To me, Depeche Mode had always been about the hybrid mixture of dark emotional current coupled with electronic dance sensibilities, and as such, no album better typifies that in their canon than Violator. I pretty much think that everything they did between 1980 & 1990 was pure genius though, so all this additional extrapolation is probably not necessary. hehe

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hott3028   Email hott3028       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool, you are right on dude. I see where you are coming from. I saw them on the Violator tour and they really were awesome live. Like I said one of my all time faves. Amazing the sort of life Dave Gahan has had, especially at the height of their popularity. In spite of the lyrics and mood, I always thought they were a positive band with a great message. It's pretty interesting to listen to that stuff now, knowing about his struggles, he was a very lonely and sad dude.

Funny how this thread has turned into DM talk. Do you like Erasure? What about early Mode? You mentioned Nitzer Ebb & Front 242. I was a teenager living in Chicago during the Industrial revolution and saw all those bands when they were coming up. Do you like old Ministry? Are you familiar with their first album "With Sympathy"? It's an eighties pop masterpiece, in a sick creepy kind of way.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Do you like Erasure? What about early Mode?

I sure do like Erasure. They're one of the bands that I mentioned on that abbreviated version of my influence list, and I was definitely a huge fan of theirs. I'd finally gotten to see them perform live back in October of 1992 for their Phantasmagorical Experience tour, and despite starting off a little shaky vocally, Andy quickly fell into his groove and the remainder of the show was a treat with what had to be at least 100 different costume changes throughout the course of the night. hehe

As for early Depeche Mode, yes, I love the early stuff too. I think some of their most integral work emerged during their early period in 1982 immediately following Vince Clarke's departure from the band. To this day I think that A Broken Frame remains a masterful testimony to the unassuming genius of Martin Gore and Depeche Mode. It's certainly not nearly as well known as the DM albums which came later on, but it is IMO unequivocally the album in which Depeche Mode truly became Depeche Mode with regards to sound and emotion.

quote:
Do you like old Ministry? Are you familiar with their first album "With Sympathy"? It's an eighties pop masterpiece, in a sick creepy kind of way.

Concerning the EBM & industrial electro bands, I was always more hardcore into Nitzer Ebb & Front 242 than Ministry, but I do like them and have had the pleasure of seeing all three of those bands live in concert. Ministry is a very interesting band if you trace their development over the years because they've changed like a chameleon yet retain the same magic & unique quality that they've always had. I recently heard a local radio station play "Revenge" (from that 1983 debut album which you mentioned) and couldn't help but be taken aback by just how much they've changed, and yet you still know it's them that you're listening to! That's a pretty neat trick.

[Smile]

Calico Jack

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

LOL, Sprockets... I suppose that's one perspective vasduten. I think Ralf & Florian are geniuses personally, and pioneering revolutionaries in the world of not only electronic music, but intelligent & conceptual music as well. Any music historian worth his salt will always make significant mention of Kraftwerk in discussing the evolution of music in the latter portion of the 20th Century. We owe a great deal to them and their influence continues to be evidenced by music across the map and across cultural lines. Wir sind die Roboter!

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

No offense, I never understood the whole Grateful Dead thing. I think people aren't really into the music (it's gotta be the most soul-less stuff imagineable, like a bunch of guys tuning up their instruments), they are into the community of the whole scene. Drugs, no baths, chicks with armpit hair, bad twirl dancing and drugs.

Almost a decade after Garcia died, these people are still carrying on.

Anyways, Calico, I saw Erasure 3 nights in a row here in Chicago during the Phantasmagorical Experience tour, best show i've ever seen. I have seen alot of concerts from McCartney to 50Cent, Ramones to C&C music Factory, but visually Erasure and all those costume changes were visually stunning. I saw them on the "Wild" tour in 1990 and I didn't think they could top themselves. Have you checked out their new single "Breathe"?

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Have you checked out their new single "Breathe"?

Nope I haven't. To be honest I stopped actively following their career at some point in 1994, so the last album that I actually purchased of theirs was I Say, I Say, I Say. The only other work of theirs past that point that I paid attention to were select tracks from their self-titled Erasure album, namely "Fingers & Thumbs" which I thought was fantastic. It's not that I suddenly just lost interest in them, it's that my own musical career was really beginning to get under way at that time, and I found myself with very little free time to stay up to date on many of the artists that I'd loved before. So I've never heard anything from the Cowboy, Loveboat, or Other People's Songs cover album, let alone anything from the brand new Nightbird album. I'll see if I can get my ears around that new "Breathe" single later today and I'll definitely get back to you with my feedback on it.

[Hop]

Calico Jack

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Ok hott3028, so I managed to listen to a little of "Breathe" tonight. The very first thing that struck me about it was the fact that so little has changed audibly since the material from I Say, I Say, I Say back in 1994. After ten years this new song sounds like it could very easily have been on that same album back then! They're still using the same type of soft synth sounds and effects that were typical of each of their albums since Chorus in 1991, and they're exhibiting the same type of late catalog songwriting as well. This isn't necessarily a criticism, just an observation. I suppose it could easily be made into a criticism if I were to take it a step further and suggest outright that there's very little originality in "Breathe" as it basically sounds like Erasure covering their own material. Another thing that struck me about it was at least one moment where Andy's voice fell slightly flat when hitting a note, something that I can't believe they would have overlooked ten years ago. Those faults aside, it was a decent little track, not exactly fresh or innovative, but on the positive side of things it definitely does sound like Erasure. So that's my little quick review in a nutshell.

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Sasha
Hall Of Famer
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No offense, I never understood the whole Grateful Dead thing. I think people aren't really into the music (it's gotta be the most soul-less stuff imagineable, like a bunch of guys tuning up their instruments), they are into the community of the whole scene. Drugs, no baths, chicks with armpit hair, bad twirl dancing and drugs.

I agree 100%..I went to a show with my friend who was into them(she was a pot head).It was 90-91 at the FORUM in LA.. I thought the dead were horrible!!! What I enjoyed was watching all the people freaked out of their minds on acid ...

What is up with all the DRUGS????

I guess i just didnt get what the whole thing was all about?????

--------------------
Xoxoxo Sasha

essenceofsasha.com

You wanna play with my warm hosed feet. Don't you?

Posts: 2077 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hott3028
Elite Trooper
Member # 3839

You know Calico, I know you are a fan of VH1 Classic, that's where I saw the Erasure video, and if you ever watch a show called classic/current alot of bands return to their familiar sound when they are done going into new territory and wanting to regain past succeses. Take U2 for instance. I like Zooropa and Pop, but alot of people didn't. When they went back to a more comfortable sound on "All That You Can Leave Behind", they scored big. I think that is where Erasure is now. Trying to get fans like you and I that lost track of them in the mid-nineties, and get some top 40 airplay again. To be honest with you Erasure kind of went drag-queen disco over the last few years. Even a hard core dance fan like me wasn't really into it. Pet Shop Boys went the same route after the "Behavior" album. PSB has been back for a few years doing alot of good house/trance type of music. Erasure is at it's best when they sound like Erasure, not ABBA.
vasduten
Elite Trooper
Member # 2211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vasduten   Email vasduten       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Sasha, the dead sucked bag in the 90's, (and the 80's for that matter...) Just my opinion.
I like the early 70's stuff, and the late 60's, when it was just a bunch of guys who played tight, explorative music. It was clean, tight, and just plain groovy.
I also like the way that you and hot decide it's ok to shitcan them for the WORST years of the band's career, and the dirty losers who sat in parking lots becoming chemically altered - null and void. I for one, HATED that whole scene.
Hippies = DIRTY.
Yuck.
This WAS a LIVE album/recording thread...
If you want a synthesized/industrial/brit pop/ german-artsy-techno thread, then start one.

Shoot, start any type of music thread you want!

--------------------
I know when I'm licked... all over.

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
alot of bands return to their familiar sound when they are done going into new territory and wanting to regain past succeses

I think your assessment of U2 & the Pet Shop Boys is right on target hott, so it certainly stands to reason that perhaps Erasure is attempting to do the same thing. I personally don't think it's going to work for them, but I'd be more than happy if I'm wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by vasduten:
This WAS a LIVE album/recording thread...

It's become a DEAD album/recording thread - Grateful Dead, that is. hehe Must be the power of Jerry reaching out to us from beyond the grave. Alright then, anybody else have any other opinions about the best live albums/recordings that have been made? I would've been tempted to include U2's Rattle and Hum on my favorites list except we can't really count it as a live album because it's a mix of live and studio tracks.

[Hop]

Calico Jack

vasduten
Elite Trooper
Member # 2211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vasduten   Email vasduten       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Calico Jack:

It's become a DEAD album/recording thread - Grateful Dead, that is. hehe Must be the power of Jerry reaching out to us from beyond the grave.
Calico Jack
[/QUOTE]
Well, 2x4 and myself merely listed some of our favorite live recordings, and since there are literally thousands of Dead bootlegs out there, and we like them, we listed some of them.
No need to throw jabs at me or imply that I am some witless new-ager who believes that Garcia is "reaching out from beyond the grave".
How insulting!
I just dig live music, and happen to love a lot of live stuff I've heard the dead pull off in concert.
I see that you are a moderator, Calico Jack.
Does that give you the right to flame me for having a dissenting opinion about music? Or for trying to keep this thread on track?
Thanks for being so nice to me.
I have managed to not piss off Lou in a post about RELIGION, even though our opinions about the Bible are like night and day, and somehow, because I don't like Kraftwerk, I'm labelled as an instigator and then insulted for my choice in music?
It doesn't make any sense to me.
-end rant

I have a recording of Neil Young at Brussells, Belgium in '98 with Booker T and the MG's that is killer.
Neil goofs with the crowd a little here and there, and rocks the house down!
Neil Young was born to rock, and he rocks well.

Another one a friend laid on me is Talking Heads recorded from a live broadcast in Tokyo, Japan in '81.
This recording is great, Tracks include Psycho Killer, Cities, and my favorite: Once in a Lifetime.
Makes me wish I was at ANY show of theirs in '81, and not just playing Hoth Ice Planet with my Han Solo/Taun Taun in a snowbank.
But then, I was 8 years old...

[ March 02, 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: vasduten ]

--------------------
I know when I'm licked... all over.

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
No need to throw jabs at me or imply that I am some witless new-ager who believes that Garcia is "reaching out from beyond the grave".

That's not in the least what I was doing. I simply made a play on words using the word "LIVE" that you used in your last post and relating it to the Grateful DEAD, who some of you have been discussing. I didn't in any way imply anything about the band's music or your feelings for them. No jabs were thrown nor did I imply anything about your beliefs.

quote:
I see that you are a moderator, Calico Jack.
Does that give you the right to flame me for having a dissenting opinion about music?

I've said absolutely nothing to you thus far which could qualify even remotely as an attempt at flaming. I welcome all dissenting opinions on this forum and will always stand by everybody's right to post their dissenting opinions provided they aren't malicious, slanderous, or ill-spirited. I happen to think you were 100% correct in wanting to keep this thread on track, which is precisely why I attempted to turn my attention back to the topic at hand in my last post.

quote:
because I don't like Kraftwerk, I'm labelled as an instigator and then insulted for my choice in music?

Where did I label you an instigator? Furthermore, where did I insult your choice of music? Thus far I've still shared absolutely no opinion either way on my thoughts about the Grateful Dead's music or your feelings for them as a band. I've made a pun using the words "LIVE" and "DEAD", and I humorously mentioned the prospect of Jerry Garcia reaching out to us all in this thread since several of you were discussing the band. I happen to like the Grateful Dead, though that shouldn't even matter since I haven't gotten involved in that conversation. I'll agree with you about one thing for sure, it doesn't make any sense to me either.

[Hop]

Calico Jack

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links