Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Under-rated video games (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Under-rated video games
Patrick
Administrator
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou,

I never played a Neo Geo console. The Super Dodge Ball that I have here was made by CSG Imagesoft Inc. I have no idea who they are. [Smile] Ahh... looking at the fineprint I do see Technos Japan Corp. You're good!

- Patrick

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18260 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSG? Well I'll be darned, Technos didn't even bring those earlier games out themselves either...

Technos is responsible for a game that set the arcade standard for several years there...Double Dragon. If memory serves they released that game through Taito. Double Dragon II was made by Technos, but released through another company who's name I can't recall at the moment. I keep wanting to say Romstar, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think Double Dragon III was actually released by Technos themselves, but by then nobody gave a hoot about the series, so I think they took a beating financially over it.

Patrick, if you can, take some time and download an emulator and some Neo Geo roms. I can't really recommend a certain emulator, because I can't get a Neo Geo one to run on my computer, but PM Calico Jack about it if this interests you. He's well-versed in things emulated and should be able to point a good one out to you. You should play the last 2D devoted system ever made. As a gamer, I'm sure you'll appreciate it. [Smile]

--------------------
Like Girls?
Like Real Barefoot Girls?!
Then this place is for you!
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com
Your best source for some Real Deal Hardcore Barefoot Girls!

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou, that game Dino Eggs is a platform jump & run from 1983 but believe me, it`s sooooo addictive. (even though it`s not a shooter [Wink] )

Considering that it`s 22 years old, it`s one of the best & most underrated games I´ve ever played on the good old Commodore 64.

Somebody should deffo make a new version of it.

You can check it out here.

-Hal-

--------------------
More beautiful bare feet at Toes-in-Action and TiA Video Clips

Posts: 6150 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vasduten
Elite Trooper
Member # 2211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vasduten   Email vasduten       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe...
Thanks MrMustard, I remember Wizards and Warriors now, and didn't realize it was such a big hit.

And Lou, I'd love to see Karnov even on my PC.
I also remeber River City Ransom, my brothers played it a lot, it always struck me as funny, because the character in it were "kids" in "gangs". Pretty funny.

Nobody remembers Rygar?
How about Legendary Wings?
That one was another wierd but fun game.

--------------------
I know when I'm licked... all over.

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lou Gojira:
Double Dragon II was made by Technos, but released through another company who's name I can't recall at the moment. I keep wanting to say Romstar, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Go on Lou, feel free to bet the farm on that one. It was indeed Romstar.

[Thumbs Up]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmustard
Major Player
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrmustard   Email mrmustard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Legendary Wings, a weird , and for me, hard as hell game. It was a shooter for nes,some levels were vertical scrolling and ohter horizontal. It was kinda somewhat loosely based on greek themes, two people could play at the same time, it suffered from horrible slowdown problems...did not think anyone remembered it.....
Wasnt Double Dragon II released by Acclaim on nes, and the first one by Tradewest?

Posts: 110 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrmustard:
Wasnt Double Dragon II released by Acclaim on nes, and the first one by Tradewest?

Yep, correct on both counts, mrmustard. Part III was also licensed to Acclaim as well for the NES. The arcade version of Part II was licensed to Romstar just as Lou suspected, and Parts I & III were both housed in Taito cabinets.

As for Legendary Wings, that was a Capcom goodie that graced select arcades back in 1986. One interesting thing I'll point out about that game was that the Japanese version (The Legendary Soldiers) and one of the alternate US versions featured a woman as your main character instead of a man. When it was ported to the NES two years later in 1988, they opted to use the male character for the home console version.

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vasduten:
Hehehe...
Thanks MrMustard, I remember Wizards and Warriors now, and didn't realize it was such a big hit.

And Lou, I'd love to see Karnov even on my PC.
I also remeber River City Ransom, my brothers played it a lot, it always struck me as funny, because the character in it were "kids" in "gangs". Pretty funny.

Nobody remembers Rygar?
How about Legendary Wings?
That one was another wierd but fun game.

Oh yeah, I remember Rygar Bro. I was disappointed with the home release of it because I was already geeking on the visually sweet arcade version. Totally different game-play too, just the character remained. Still, once I bought it I kept playing and playing until I got to where I could beat it...and it's a good thing, because the game didn't have a save feature or password to it! If you sat down to play Rygar, you'd better be in for the long haul...

Have you seen the new Rygar game for the PS2? It looks pretty awesome. I wonder if it plays as good as it looks though...

Legendary Wings was another one I remember being slightly disappointed with once I got the home version, but I wound up enjoying that more than the arcade version despite the graphical drop. The arcade version had you actually running and jumping in the side-scrolling levels, but the NES version kept it all shooter, and it stayed more intense and fun that way...IMO anyway. Good game! [Thumbs Up]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
Originally posted by Calico Jack:
The arcade version of Part II was licensed to Romstar just as Lou suspected, and Parts I & III were both housed in Taito cabinets.

As for Legendary Wings, that was a Capcom goodie that graced select arcades back in 1986. One interesting thing I'll point out about that game was that the Japanese version (The Legendary Soldiers) and one of the alternate US versions featured a woman as your main character instead of a man. When it was ported to the NES two years later in 1988, they opted to use the male character for the home console version.

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Taito had a hand in Double Dragon III? Hmmmm...I was not aware of that, interesting tidbit there Bro. Hey CJ, you remember when the Double Dragon characters were named Hammer and Spike? They were labeled that on the arcade cabinet anyway. I don't think I ever got used to calling them Billy and Jimmy Lee, but those were the names that stuck, even for the one on one fighter of it on the Neo Geo. You ever happen to play the Battletoads and Double Dragon crossover? I haven't yet, but something tells me it's more Double Dragon than it is Battletoads...I just can't see Billy and Jimmy riding giant snakes or hover bikes. [Big Grin] I could be wrong though...

So Legendary Wings originally had female characters in the Japanese version? Dang...Hmmmm again! Maybe that's why the guys looked so thin and disproportioned on those side-scrolling arcade levels... [Confused]

Speaking of shooters with a Greek premise, anybody remember Phelios?

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrmustard:

Brother CJ is correct in his reply to this, but what I'd like to know is: Did Acclaim get exclusive rights to the home releases of the franchise after part II? Outside of Sega releasing their version of part I for the Master System (which really kicked ass!), I think Acclaim released every Double Dragon game from then on, even into the Super NES era.

But then, Tradewest obviously held onto some of the rights, otherwise Battletoads and Double Dragon couldn't have crossed over. And didn't they put out an arcade replica of the original for the Genesis? Correct me if I'm wrong here somebody...

And while I'm at it, who made the Double Dragon fighting game for the Atari Jaguar? Wasn't it Atari themselves? [Confused]

The only thing I'm certain of at this point is that Technos Japan released the Double Dragon fighter for the Neo Geo (and talk about wonky controls, that game was crazy to control!)

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
Originally posted by Hal:
Lou, that game Dino Eggs is a platform jump & run from 1983 but believe me, it`s sooooo addictive. (even though it`s not a shooter [Wink] )

Considering that it`s 22 years old, it`s one of the best & most underrated games I´ve ever played on the good old Commodore 64.

Somebody should deffo make a new version of it.

You can check it out here.

-Hal-

That is a pretty neat looking little game. The premise sounds interesting too. Thanks for the link Bro. [Cool]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Taito had a hand in Double Dragon III? Hmmmm...I was not aware of that, interesting tidbit there Bro.

It's still quite possible that they didn't, but this picture always threw me off. I guess there's a good likelihood that somebody just housed the guts for part III in one of the original Taito cabinets left over from part I.

quote:
Hey CJ, you remember when the Double Dragon characters were named Hammer and Spike? They were labeled that on the arcade cabinet anyway.

Yep, I remember it alright. They were labeled as "Hammer" and "Spike" right on the control panel under each of the joysticks. Here's a great shot of that control panel.

quote:
You ever happen to play the Battletoads and Double Dragon crossover? I haven't yet, but something tells me it's more Double Dragon than it is Battletoads...

To be honest the gameplay feels far more like a Battletoads game than a Double Dragon game! I'd say that the main difference between characters is that Rash, Zitz, and Pimple can move a bit faster while Billy & Jimmy can punch a bit harder. But yeah, all the cute little activities that were characteristic of the original Battletoads like hanging onto ledges, riding jet scooters, and tossing enemies out of windows are still kept intact regardless of whether you're using the Toads or the Dragons. Plus the outer space scenario and the manner in which the sprites punch and jump are 100% Toads. I've always been inclined to think of that game as just another installment in the Battletoads series with a guest appearance by Billy & Jimmy to help bolster sales. hehe

quote:
So Legendary Wings originally had female characters in the Japanese version?

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the male character in the US version and the female character in the Japanese version:

-  -

quote:
Speaking of shooters with a Greek premise, anybody remember Phelios?

I remember that one. Definitely very Legendary Wings-ish. That was a Namco game released in Japan back in '88. If I'm not mistaken there was even a limited-edition soundtrack for that game put out by Victor Entertainment.

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
I've always been inclined to think of that game as just another installment in the Battletoads series with a guest appearance by Billy & Jimmy to help bolster sales. hehe
Sounds good Bro. I'll have to check the game out. [Thumbs Up]

I remember reading the reviews when that game came out, and most of the reviewers actually held the appearance of Billy and Jimmy against the game! The overall gist was that they wanted it to be devoted to the Battletoads. Oh well, can't please everybody. [Big Grin]

quote:
Here's a side-by-side comparison of the male character in the US version and the female character in the Japanese version:
Thanks for the shots. Hmmm, looking at the comparisons, the male character looks a bit more amateur drawn, with the dark lines defining detail rather than subtle shading. I can't understand why they felt the need to switch the sexes. Usually, the sexes got switched if it may have been miscontrued as "violence toward women" (Nintendo was really bad about upholding this stigma back in the 16-bit era, sadly), that is, if the person you had to beat down was female. With the hero being female...well, I can't understand the switch-out... [Confused]

quote:
That was a Namco game released in Japan back in '88. If I'm not mistaken there was even a limited-edition soundtrack for that game put out by Victor Entertainment.
A soundtrack wouldn't surprise me, Victor put out a whole lot of soundtracks for video games. I should know, I've done my fair share of ordering the things! [Big Grin]

Oh, speaking of sex-changing characters, does anybody remember the U.S. Super NES release of Final Fight? I thought for a long time that Nintendo was upholding that silly rule when I saw Roxy and Poison appear as skinny men...then I found out the truth! In Japan, it's understood that Roxy and Poison are transvestites (not "long-legged biker chicks" who's tank-tops flew up when you punched them). So Nintendo wasn't totally upholding the rule in that case, they simply had Capcom drop the drag on those guy characters...just some weird trivia for you there. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
In Japan, it's understood that Roxy and Poison are transvestites (not "long-legged biker chicks" who's tank-tops flew up when you punched them).

Ah yes, the Roxy/Poison infamy. My favorite line regarding those characters was written by somebody who penned a walkthrough of the game for GameFAQs. He wrote of Roxy/Poison, "She's a strung out drug addict with stiletto heels and debatable gender." hehe I've gotta give Capcom credit on this one because if they did indeed intend for Roxy/Poison to be transvestites, those are some mighty fine looking transvestites in the arcade version!

[Big Grin]

Calico Jack

P.S. - Just a little further bit of Final Fight trivia. The Japanese version of the arcade game features an additional scene that shows Jessica in underwear on the television. This scene was removed in the non-Japanese versions.

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
I've gotta give Capcom credit on this one because if they did indeed intend for Roxy/Poison to be transvestites, those are some mighty fine looking transvestites in the arcade version!
[Laugh] I hear you Bro. I remember commenting to people who played the game with me: "Too bad you gotta fight those girls, and you can't do somethin' else to 'em!" At which point there was usually an agreement by the person. Now, when I fire up the Sega CD version of it (a DAMN good port of it, even has an extra stage), knowing what I know, I almost catch myself thinking it again...but then I remind myself: "But they got dicks!" That shoots the lustful thoughts down everytime. [Big Grin]

quote:
The Japanese version of the arcade game features an additional scene that shows Jessica in underwear on the television. This scene was removed in the non-Japanese versions.
Actually, the scene wasn't removed, but changed. We still see Jessica as often as the Japanese do, only in our version they have her wearing a red shoulderless dress. I read something about Capcom America thinking that if the scenes of her wearing a bra tied to a chair were left in, it'd imply that the Mad Gears gang had raped her.

That same thinking, only by a different company (NEC Avenue) went into effect for the Turbo release of Vigilante. The Japanese cover had a close-up of the damsel in distress girl's face (I forget her name), with a male hand over her mouth, and a knife to her throat. Instead, we get some lame-o cover art that looked like a kid tried to draw an actual scene out of the game.

Speaking of bad cover art, I didn't think I'd live to see the day that there would be a worse cover than that of Mega Man on the NES. Well, that day came yesterday when my Bro bought Mobile Light Force 2 for the PS2. The game itself is visually excellent, cool character designs, fun game-play, kickin' tunes, the whole nine yards. Only problem is, the cover has absolutely NOTHING to do with the game. It looks like some cheesy Charlie's Angels knock-off, when the game is about anime-looking people with psychic powers. I have to wonder how much money was lost in potential sales because of that shitty cover... [Confused]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links