Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » 2D Gaming (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: 2D Gaming
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Atari 2600, did anybody get into the Sword Quest series? I was able to find Earth World and Fire World, and I heard rumor that Water World actually made it to some stores, but not very many. I liked the little comic books that came with the games too, they sort of filled the gap in building up the game world where the graphics and memory limitations of the carts themselves couldn't.

For that matter, did anybody play anything on the Odyssey 2 console? Thinking about Sword Quest on the 2600, that reminded me of Quest for the Rings on the Odyssey 2. That game came with a board game that you played simultaneously with the video game, a pretty happening concept and a lot of fun for it's time. [Thumbs Up]

--------------------
Like Girls?
Like Real Barefoot Girls?!
Then this place is for you!
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com
Your best source for some Real Deal Hardcore Barefoot Girls!

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feslatichy
Board Regular
Member # 3416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Feslatichy   Author's Homepage   Email Feslatichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have jumped into this topic sooner, but I must have been too busy playing Phantasy Star (the first one) and Shining Force (the remake of the first one). Both really good games if you've never had a chance to play them.

Come on, though, you can't have classic gaming without Mega Man.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lou Gojira:
Speaking of Atari 2600, did anybody get into the Sword Quest series?

I remember seeing them in shops in my childhood but never had enough money to buy them --- I lived in South Africa those days and most Atari games were extremely expensive!
Would be cool if you could you post a few screenshots, I wasn`t able to find any on the web...

Speaking of Mega Man, check out this website: www.mmhp.net

Cheers,
-Hal-

--------------------
More beautiful bare feet at Toes-in-Action and TiA Video Clips

Posts: 6150 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Speaking of Atari 2600, did anybody get into the Sword Quest series? I was able to find Earth World and Fire World, and I heard rumor that Water World actually made it to some stores, but not very many.

Yeah, I got into those games also, but I was never really able to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing. Like Lou, I purchased Earthworld & Fireworld back in 1982, and then by the time that Waterworld came out in 1983 I had already completely lost interest in the series so I never bought that one. I've got all three of them on my 2600 emulator today though, so I'll have to see if I can get back into them and make some sense of a 23-year-old cloud of ambiguity.

quote:
Originally posted by Hal:
Would be cool if you could you post a few screenshots, I wasn`t able to find any on the web...

Here ya go Hal, some screenies from the SwordQuest series:

Earthworld
 -  -

Fireworld
 -
 -

Waterworld
 -  -

[Cool]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
did anybody play anything on the Odyssey 2 console? Thinking about Sword Quest on the 2600, that reminded me of Quest for the Rings on the Odyssey 2. That game came with a board game that you played simultaneously with the video game, a pretty happening concept and a lot of fun for it's time.

I was pretty firmly entrenched in the Atari 2600 camp in the late 1970s, so I never actually owned an Odyssey 2 back when Magnavox released it in 1978. Not that the 2600 was exactly stunning graphically, but to me the Odyssey 2 seemed to pale in comparison. Plus Atari was smart in that they specifically bought up the licensing rights to many popular arcade titles for home translations, which is something that Magnavox seemed either unable or unwilling to do, with the notable exception of 3 titles afforded to them through a Parker Brothers licensing deal (Popeye, Q*Bert, & Frogger). My personal favorite game on that system also happened to be their most successful cartidge, the shameless Pac-Man clone known as K.C. Munchkin.

-

[Hop]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Sword Quest looks good (for Atari), would have loved to play it as a child.

Looks a bit like the old "Temple of Apshai"-Trilogy on the C-64. Hmmm, now that I look at it, I think Epyx ripped the idea off from Atari...

-Hal-

-

-

--------------------

Posts: 6150 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Originally posted by Hal:
Looks a bit like the old "Temple of Apshai"-Trilogy on the C-64.

I love Temple of Apshai on the C64! One of my favorite parts of it has always been the opening sequence where you go through the process of buying armor & weapons before you set out on your quest. I love how you're able to actually haggle with the shopkeeper by talking down his price until he agrees to make the sale. hehe Always makes me feel like I'm in a medieval car dealership.

[Big Grin]

Calico Jack

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou Gojira   Email Lou Gojira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would have jumped into this topic sooner, but I must have been too busy playing Phantasy Star (the first one)
Oh man, I love that game! I used to own it back in the day on the good ol' Sega Master System, and now "own" it on emulator. Still just as beautiful as I remember it, with animated monsters, 3D dungeons, three planets to explore. I still find it amazing that Sega were able to make such a game so graphically ahead of it's time on their lil' ol' 8-bit system. [Thumbs Up]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Posts: 5427 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
I've got all three of them on my 2600 emulator today though, so I'll have to see if I can get back into them and make some sense of a 23-year-old cloud of ambiguity.
I know how to beat Earth World. For every item you win through the little "trial" games, take them to the Leo room and drop them off. Leo is the one holding the sword, so once he get's all the items in the labrynth he'll give it to you. Never figured out Fire World.

Speaking of games that were hard to really figure out, anybody play Raiders of the Lost Ark on the 2600? I can remember finally figuring out what to do on that game, but it took getting a few hints from other people first. I couldn't tell you how to find that Lost Ark now. [Laugh]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
Plus Atari was smart in that they specifically bought up the licensing rights to many popular arcade titles for home translations, which is something that Magnavox seemed either unable or unwilling to do, with the notable exception of 3 titles afforded to them through a Parker Brothers licensing deal (Popeye, Q*Bert, & Frogger).
You forgot one other title my classic gaming Bro...Turtles, based on the original arcade game by Konami. If memory serves, I think Turtles wound up being their most successful title. They even had a fan club open over that one game. I know, because I was the only nerd on my block to proudly wear his Turtles t-shirt to school! [Laugh]

BTW, Brother CJ, if you can, fire up the game Killer Bees for the Odyssey 2. Very simple concept of a game (you control a swarm of bees), but surprisingly addictive.

Speaking of K.C. Munchkin a little earlier, have you got a chance to play the sequel K.C.'s Krazy Chase? I wound up liking that game a lot better than the first K.C. Munchkin, though that game was a lot of fun too. I heard that a third game was made in the K.C. series, but I never saw it. I understand that the Odyssey 2 was the big buzz in Brazil, and there were games still being made for it down there years after it was dropped here in the states.

Thanks for the screen-shots you've been posting CJ, brings back lots of memories. [Thumbs Up]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
I remember seeing them in shops in my childhood but never had enough money to buy them --- I lived in South Africa those days and most Atari games were extremely expensive!
I hear you Brother Hal, they weren't exactly easily bought here in America at the time either, at least as far as I was concerned. Most of my 2600 gaming took place after the video game crash of '83, and Atari cartridges dropped to something like $5 a piece. I was getting $5 a week for allowance at the time, so I was usually buying me a new game every weekend. Sometimes I'd luck out and score two games for $5.

Same thing with the Odyssey 2. My father was the proud owner of that system, so if a new game came into the house, it was because he had bought it. After the crash, I found a guy at a flea market who had bought up a warehouse of Odyssey 2 games, so I bought a bunch of stuff off of him. I remember paying $10 for Quest for the Rings when it had retailed forever and a day at $50, so I thought I had made out like a bandit! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Lou Gojira
Bad Motherfucker
Member # 983

quote:
Come on, though, you can't have classic gaming without Mega Man.
True enough. In my opinion, the best Mega Man game ever made was Wiley Wars on the Sega Genesis. Taking the first three Mega Man games, revamping the graphics to 16-bit, and releasing them all on one cart was great! Sadly, Sega of America, like the jack-asses they could be at the time, never released that game for retail here in America. Instead, they used it as a "Sega Channel" exclusive, so I never really got my hands on the game. It's just been recently that I can play it on emulator. Still, I'm enjoying the fire out of it. [Thumbs Up]

--------------------
Like Girls?
 -
www.dennis-n-mara.com

Hal
Member # 3484

quote:
I hear you Brother Hal, they weren't exactly easily bought here in America at the time either, at least as far as I was concerned. Most of my 2600 gaming took place after the video game crash of '83, and Atari cartridges dropped to something like $5 a piece. I was getting $5 a week for allowance at the time, so I was usually buying me a new game every weekend. Sometimes I'd luck out and score two games for $5.

Lucky you! I remember buying "Mousetrap" for Atari around 1981 and it costed about $200! My brother and I saved up for it for about 6 months, and then it actually turned out to be total cr*p! I probably played it for an hour and chucked it in the cupboard.
I was glad when I got my C-64 (around 1983), because you could copy loads of games from friends on one tape --- still used Datasette at that time. And around 1984 some really cool C-64er games came out that beat Atari games by far (such as Summer Games, Ghostbusters, Impossible Mission, Elite, Spy vs. Spy, etc.), so I didn`t really play any more Atari...

-Hal-

--------------------

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
I know how to beat Earth World. For every item you win through the little "trial" games, take them to the Leo room and drop them off. Leo is the one holding the sword, so once he get's all the items in the labrynth he'll give it to you.

I tried bringing everything to Leo, but nothing much happened once I did. However, I'm happy to report that I did indeed win the game this morning after checking out a website that had the solution posted on it. It was an elaborate solution which involved going into the various rooms on many different trips and dropping off specific items in each of them along the way. As I did that, I was able to unlock all of the game's clues until I was finally given the great sword at the end. Cool stuff, and it only took me 23 years to do it! LOL...

quote:
Speaking of games that were hard to really figure out, anybody play Raiders of the Lost Ark on the 2600?

Yep, I was addicted to that one for a while back in '82. Like the Sword Quest games, I couldn't figure out what in the hell I was doing, so I actually mailed away for the solution sheet and once it arrived I was finally able to solve the game from that. Whether I cheated or not, nothing could quite match that feeling of accomplishment that I got when I finally solved those wacky Atari mysteries. Speaking of which, hey Lou, did you ever find "the dot" and uncover the hidden message in Adventure on the 2600? That was the first one of those types of things that I successfully uncovered on that system, and I still love doing it today in the company of friends just to embarrass myself.

[Big Grin]

Calico Jack

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
You forgot one other title my classic gaming Bro...Turtles, based on the original arcade game by Konami.

You're absolutely right about Turtles, Lou. I had totally forgotten about that one, probably because I never considered the original arcade release of it to have made a significant dent in video game history in the same way that Frogger, Q*Bert, and Popeye did. It definitely counts though as it's an arcade translation, and I actually do enjoy playing that one also. Odyssey 2 even had a special version of that game made up for release exclusively in Europe! Damned if I can see the difference though when I'm playing them.

quote:
BTW, Brother CJ, if you can, fire up the game Killer Bees for the Odyssey 2. Very simple concept of a game (you control a swarm of bees), but surprisingly addictive.

I've already played it several times in the last few minutes, and I can see why you'd say it's addicting. hehe So simple yet entertaining! Reminds me a little bit of Qix or Tempest type of game in so much as you're confined into a small space and have to do your thing as quickly as possible before the enemy multiplies and gets medieval on your ass.

quote:
Speaking of K.C. Munchkin a little earlier, have you got a chance to play the sequel K.C.'s Krazy Chase?

Yeah, Krazy Chase was cool. They kept the charm of the first installment intact but added some nice goodies (auto-forming trees, spinning K.C., segmented worm, new enemies) & slightly new gameplay to differentiate the sequel from its Pac-Man-like predecessor. Not a bad follow-up effort at all. I don't really know anything about a 3rd installment in the series, so maybe that one never got past the drawing board stages. I guess it wouldn't be altogether that different from Sword Quest: AirWorld, the 4th and final installment of Atari's series that had a prototype developed yet still never saw the light of day. hehe

-

[Smile]

Calico Jack

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links