Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » I don't get people saying "This is my favourite song" when referring to modern music (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I don't get people saying "This is my favourite song" when referring to modern music
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just...how can it be? There's no hindsight of time, meaning, social impact etc. (which, in my view, is quite important).

To me a song really does have to stand the test of time, but to essentially all of my close friends, their "best ever" changes on a near-weekly basis.

Idk, it's just something I've been thinking about for years. A bold statement, but my favourites will remain my favourites until I die. If not songs, then certainly bands.

I mean I'm really getting into classic punk - Sex Pistols, The Clash etc. those songs meant something in their time, they stood for speaking out against the unjust system and being yourself.

I think I'm right in saying that Sid Vicious got booed after basically every song he did in some clubs and people would show their appreciation by throwing beer bottles and spitting at him and stuff. They still came back and enjoyed the music, it was just their way of going by what he was singing about, I suppose.

In conclusion, Beatles > Gaga.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baseball Fan
Hall Of Famer
Member # 27313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baseball Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont get why foreign people spell favorite with a "U"

but different people do different things, and they like different types of music. its what makes us different.

--------------------
"Nina, this is my house, you work for me, and I want to suck your toes."
-Big Trouble (2002)

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keyfeet:
i dont get why foreign people spell favorite with a "U"

Because we can spell things properly.

And it's not the genre differences I'm getting at, it's the context of the song. I dislike cheap, "mass-produced" songs, for lack of a better term. There's no deeper meaning to them and they're a "flavour of the week" in terms of "best ever". If you're gonna say best ever, then mean best ever.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oscarthemonkey
The Legend
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oscarthemonkey   Email oscarthemonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been a pretty bad decade for music, I must agree.

--------------------
Latina Feet Can't Be Beat!

Posts: 4819 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for combine_hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand how someone could pick just ONE song to be their "favorite". I mean, I've got all sorts of favorites from every band I like. Some bands, I can't even pick a favorite song from individual albums.

Take Rush's Moving Pictures, for example. Every song on there (yes, including "Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs") is awesome. Or Led Zeppelin II; or Paranoid; or Dark Side of the Moon.

As far as Oscar's point goes...there has been a lot of great music since 2000. I could name some examples, but it would get lengthy.

Posts: 2828 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
Originally posted by combine_hunter:
As far as Oscar's point goes...there has been a lot of great music since 2000.

To use your word (I'd go with "ok", but w/e), yes there have been "great" songs. No spectacular ones though.

--------------------
 -

combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for combine_hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it depends on your basis for comparison. Also the genre of music that you're referring to; I don't listen to pop or punk (can't stand either one).

I don't compare Tool or Burnt By The Sun or Mastodon to the great rock bands of the 70's and 80's. The world is different; the way music is created, recorded, promoted, and consumed is entirely different.

Do you listen to metal, btw?

[ January 11, 2011, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: combine_hunter ]

Posts: 2828 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
I guess it depends on your basis for comparison. Also the genre of music that you're referring to; I don't listen to pop or punk (can't stand either one).

I don't compare Tool or Burnt By The Sun or Mastodon to the great rock bands of the 70's and 80's. The world is different; the way music is created, recorded, promoted, and consumed is entirely different.

Do you listen to metal, btw?

Sometimes. No dedicated metal bands though.

And about the comparing apples and oranges point you made, yeah I'd agree with that. That's kind of my point to be honest. Nothing can be compared to the complete originality of/within a genre surrounded by the context of the atmosphere it creates if that makes sense. Everything else is just an attempt at re-creating that atmosphere and thus is doomed for failure. You can't try to be that way, it's got to just happen.

I'm a total classic rock nut. I've just recently been getting into punk is all btw.

--------------------
 -

Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

...motherfucker. [Cool]

--------------------
 -

Hal
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ Andy: Aren`t you from the UK? If you`re starting to get into punk then you´re in the right place, mate. Some of the world`s best punk bands come from Britain [Wink] If you like really intelligent, though-provoking lyrics check out classics like Crass, Conflict, Discharge, Oi Polloi, Snuff, Leatherface, Subhumans, etc. I still listen to those bands today, especially Leatherface and Conflict [Thumbs Up]

-Hal-

--------------------
More beautiful bare feet at Toes-in-Action and TiA Video Clips

Posts: 6150 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combine_hunter
The Legend
Member # 39526

quote:
Originally posted by Andy-Laa:
I'm a total classic rock nut.

OK, now I know where you're coming from. [Laugh]
FootLongSub Zero
The Outcast
Member # 19380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FootLongSub Zero   Email FootLongSub Zero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I think they mean is "At the mo'"... I have a different favorite song almost every second week and it's not my total fave but my "fave at the mo" and not "of all time". Sometimes it's a new song, sometimes it's an old song I haven't heard in ages and these would be the songs I play over and over until I drown it and move onto another.

--------------------
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr Emmit L. Brown (Back To The Future)

Posts: 7894 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diamond johny
All Pro Poster
Member # 27586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamond johny   Email diamond johny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't understand how someone could pick just ONE song to be their "favorite". I mean, I've got all sorts of favorites from every band I like. Some bands, I can't even pick a favorite song from individual albums.

Take Rush's Moving Pictures, for example. Every song on there (yes, including "Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs") is awesome. Or Led Zeppelin II; or Paranoid; or Dark Side of the Moon.

As far as Oscar's point goes...there has been a lot of great music since 2000. I could name some examples, but it would get lengthy.

Ditto.
Andy, that is correct, like flavour & colour.
I don't know what happened between hear & England.

--------------------
=MORE VOLUME PLEASE=

Posts: 759 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
Originally posted by FootLongSub Zero:
these would be the songs I play over and over until I drown it and move onto another.

That's my point. A classic cannot be drowned out, it remains timeless...

--------------------
 -

Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
Originally posted by diamond johny:
quote:

Ditto.
Andy, that is correct, like flavour & colour.
I don't know what happened between hear & England.

Something to do with Americans wanting to separate from England by just...spelling things incorrectly. Seems pointless, but I guess it caught on...

--------------------
 -

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links