Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Seattle Grunge - Who's your favorite? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Seattle Grunge - Who's your favorite?
Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bondo Left         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the title sez, which is your favoite 90's grunge scene band?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------

Posts: 5329 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
footspy
Hall Of Famer
Member # 2112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for footspy   Author's Homepage   Email footspy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never been a fan of grunge music.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I chose Alice In Chains, although I'd like to say I liked all the others too! Too bad Lane had to do himself in with the heroin. I would have loved to hear some new stuff from them.

--------------------
LeDaemon's Clips http://www.clips4sale.com/880

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam X
The Legend
Member # 2872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam X   Email Adam X   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Layne had the best voice of the past ten years, the only people I'd say come remotely(I do remotely since there's only one Layne) are Scooter Ward, Aaron Lewis and Mayard James Kennan.

Cantrell was amazing on the six strings and Kinney/Star or Inez(depeding on the time frame) rounded out the band nicely.

Just one of those bands that you'll never see another like it but tons will try.

--------------------
I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!

Posts: 2809 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmustard
Major Player
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrmustard   Email mrmustard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without a doubt, Alice in Chains.
Posts: 110 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scarlet
Elite Trooper
Member # 2117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scarlet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed with the above, Alice in chains.
Posts: 425 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by footspy:
Never been a fan of grunge music.

Same here. There are select songs from each of those 4 bands that I thought were okay, but I'm not much of a fan of grunge on the whole so I abstained from participating in the poll. But, for what it's worth, I can at least say that I appreciated the manner in which Alice In Chains used the intertwining vocal harmonies as a staple of their sound.

[Hop]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You
The Legend
Member # 2107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for You   Author's Homepage   Email You   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i voted for nirvana but i like all those bands
Posts: 4545 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calico Jack   Email Calico Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked that question about which of those 4 bands is best to one of my footgal friends yesterday, and she had an interesting answer which involved breaking down their various strengths. She decided that Chris Cornell easily had the best vocals of all of them, and Pearl Jam's Ten was easily a better album on the whole than any of the other bands had released. So from those two pieces of data, she concluded that Nirvana is the best band! hehe Thus, her equation looks something like this:

great Soundgarden vocals + great Pearl Jam album = Nirvana rules!!

I'm not entirely sure I understand the math on that one, but she seemed pretty confident about it and she's got mouthwatering feet so I accepted it gladly.

[Big Grin]

Calico Jack

Posts: 10944 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bondo Left         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall, Alice In Chains is my favorite. Layne's vocal harmonies are hauntingly hypntizing.

Soundgarden comes in a very close second for me. Our band has unanimously decided that if we could have any vocalist in the biz, Chris Cornell would be our top pick. His range and power is awesome! Badmotorfinger rocks!

I have to admit that being a metalhead, grunge bands were my arch nemesis during their big breakthrough and moment in the spotlight. I didn't like the fact that the powerful image and presence of metal performers was being replaced by these dirty homely kids from Seattle (with all due respect, which is actually alot). It took me a while to accept that there was some talented musicians hiding behind the depressing lyrics, heroin and ugly striped shirts.

I never really got into Nirvana or Pearl Jam at all, but AIC and SG really grew on me and stuck.

Bondo

--------------------

Posts: 5329 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeDaemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno Bondo, I really thought those bands were a blessing in the early 90's. Finally hard rock hit the mainstream again. To me there really wasn't much difference in listening to an old Sabbath album than popping in a AIC CD. Both made depressing, drug induced, heavily amplified tuned down crunchin' music. Most of the 80's mainstream metal was a bunch of white wimps with big teased hair in ripped spandex which I could not relate to whatsoever. The bands I liked during that time were considered by most people like diseased subhumans living in a leper colony (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden). I enjoyed having radio and MTV dominated by the guitar rocking sludge of grunge to the hip-hopin'-booty-shakin'-40-ouncer-rappin' bling-bling bust a cap in yo ass stuff that is mainstream today!

--------------------

Posts: 8216 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
footspy
Hall Of Famer
Member # 2112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for footspy   Author's Homepage   Email footspy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ledaemon:
I dunno Bondo, I really thought those bands were a blessing in the early 90's. Finally hard rock hit the mainstream again. To me there really wasn't much difference in listening to an old Sabbath album than popping in a AIC CD. Both made depressing, drug induced, heavily amplified tuned down crunchin' music. Most of the 80's mainstream metal was a bunch of white wimps with big teased hair in ripped spandex which I could not relate to whatsoever. The bands I liked during that time were considered by most people like diseased subhumans living in a leper colony (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden). I enjoyed having radio and MTV dominated by the guitar rocking sludge of grunge to the hip-hopin'-booty-shakin'-40-ouncer-rappin' bling-bling bust a cap in yo ass stuff that is mainstream today!

To me grunge always sounded more alternative than metal or even hard rock.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bondo Left
The King Of Feet
Member # 1403

quote:
I dunno Bondo, I really thought those bands were a blessing in the early 90's. Finally hard rock hit the mainstream again.

I see where you're coming from where the grunge scene propelled the darker dirtier sound to the front of the mainstream. The Headbangers Ball just didn't seem to be doing a good enough job...lol! (Adam Curry = bad metal representative). I'll agree that Alice In Chains was quite the refreshing replacement for sissy glam hair bands like Poison, Firehouse and Winger.

As far as it being a blessing, I didn't see it that way. At the time, I felt like they were stomping out the fires that metal bands like Metallica and Anthrax were trying to ignite. It was the early 90's when I started playing in a metal band, so I was hoping our band could ride a heavy chunky thrash wave that the metal scene was potentially trying to create.

Looking back, I don't think radio or daytime MTV was ready for heavy metal back then, so grunge was a very successful starting transition to some of the heavier stuff that has made it to the mainstream today.

All in all, today I have absolutely no regrets or harsh feelings to the grunge music scene like I did back then. Albums like AICs "Dirt" and SGs "Badmotorfinger" hold very high respects in my musical opinion. Layne Staley and Chris Cornell are two of my favorite vocalists to this day.

Bondo

--------------------

LeDaemon
The King Of Feet
Member # 198

Well Metallica went totally mainstream after the "black" album didn't they? It seemed like you couldn't turn on the radio or MTV without hearing one of those songs played every 20 minutes. BTW, I personally think that album was the start of the end for the music they made that I liked. I never bought another one of their albums after that one.

You mentioned something earlier also about depressing lyrics and drugs with grunge music. I don't think there is single metal album that has uplifting lyrics and anyone in the band that wasn't a junkie or alcoholic. [Laugh]

I used to go to tons of metal shows back in the day. I have never seen an alternative rock show live.

--------------------

Calico Jack
Pirate
Member # 2299

quote:
Well Metallica went totally mainstream after the "black" album didn't they? It seemed like you couldn't turn on the radio or MTV without hearing one of those songs played every 20 minutes. BTW, I personally think that album was the start of the end for the music they made that I liked.

I agree with the basic sentiment there about Metallica. The only two albums of theirs that I can honestly say that I truly love are Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. Outside of that 1984-1986 window, I wasn't particularly smitten with anything they did. And Justice for All had some potential, but I can't help but feel that some of the creative production choices they made ultimately did that album in. A little smidgeon of reverb wouldn't have hurt, and if anything it would've helped to cover up Lars Ulrich's sloppy drum playing on that album. I was particularly disappointed because it was produced by Flemming Rasmussen, the same guy who produced the brilliant Master of Puppets album two years earlier. Beyond that album, everything they've done since then has been produced by Bob Rock, and let's just say that I'm not the biggest fan of what that particular meeting of the minds has churned out thus far.

quote:
I don't think there is single metal album that has uplifting lyrics

I'm sure I could probably cite a number of metal bands if I set my mind to it, but for the moment I'll just stick to one of my personal all-time favorites because they've certainly done their fair share of material that's outright positive & uplifting. I'm talking about Helloween. Sure their early catalog is characterized by all of the usual metal themes (death, destruction, evil, Satan, etc), but their post-1986 catalog is simply laced with optimism. Songs like "I'm Alive", "A Little Time", "Future World", "Eagle Fly Free", "We Got The Right", and a number of others are basically all about seizing the day & living life to the fullest in happiness and freedom. Even the epic two-part "Keeper of the 7 Keys" saga has a very happy ending in which good triumphs over evil. On top of all that, they're absolutely killer musicians who can rock with the very best of them. Musically they've always reminded me of Iron Maiden because their music is very melodic while still being very heavy. Like classic Maiden, Helloween makes maximum facility of the two guitar setup by regularly featuring intricate interwoven harmony solos. Technically, Helloween has the edge on Maiden where the guitars are concerned because the parts are generally much more complicated to play and rely heavily on Kai Hansen & Michael Weikath's classical training. Maiden has the edge when it comes to bass though because there's only one Steve Harris.

Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled Seattle grunge thread.

[Big Grin]

Calico Jack

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links