Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Something really interesting inside...(Random facts - post your own) (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Something really interesting inside...(Random facts - post your own)
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for National     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Skepticisms" is the longest word that alternates hands when typing.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2501 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Spellcheck" is ironically (though correctly) considered wrong by...spellchecking.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingler:
quote:
Originally posted by Andy-Laa:
I so wish I could recall specific facts about this, but I know it's true - it was confirmed by the company itself a little after-the-fact.

In the 70s/80s, there was a company manufacturing nerve agents in England (for the Cold War I think) and, to test it, they found a small town in the countryside and gassed the population - to this day there are still a higher-than-average percentage of children born with defects in the area.

Similar thing happened in America around the same time I believe, but it was never confirmed.

Have you got any links for this? I find it very hard to believe and it sounds like an urban myth more than anything.
Name of the company: Porton Down (a Gvt research facility)

Link to some of the tests they did:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2006/jul/15/uk.greenpolitics

And I got the facts a little skew-whiff; it wasn't civilians. They dropped the nerve agent on their own soldiers - a military barracks/town or whatever you would call it - they had to move out, so there were no known birth defect problems.

Also, as the above article points out, they did laboratory tests in which it was pretty clear the men had no clue what was going on. Hope that helps [Thumbs Up]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kingler
Major Player
Member # 40920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I so wish I could recall specific facts about this, but I know it's true - it was confirmed by the company itself a little after-the-fact.

In the 70s/80s, there was a company manufacturing nerve agents in England (for the Cold War I think) and, to test it, they found a small town in the countryside and gassed the population - to this day there are still a higher-than-average percentage of children born with defects in the area.

Similar thing happened in America around the same time I believe, but it was never confirmed.

Have you got any links for this? I find it very hard to believe and it sounds like an urban myth more than anything.
Name of the company: Porton Down (a Gvt research facility)

Link to some of the tests they did:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2006/jul/15/uk.greenpolitics

And I got the facts a little skew-whiff; it wasn't civilians. They dropped the nerve agent on their own soldiers - a military barracks/town or whatever you would call it - they had to move out, so there were no known birth defect problems.

Also, as the above article points out, they did laboratory tests in which it was pretty clear the men had no clue what was going on. Hope that helps [Thumbs Up]

Ah yes Porton Down. Privately the army has done a few tests on themselves in the past, but nothing like that could ever happen on the public here. The backlash would destroy any government or company doing so.
What I love about England is the attitude that it's not we who should fear the government, it's the government that should fear us.

Posts: 219 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kingler
Major Player
Member # 40920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres one, inspired by the chap a few messages up!

Typewriter is the longest word that can be written on the top line of a QWERTY keyboard!

Posts: 219 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

quote:
Ah yes Porton Down. Privately the army has done a few tests on themselves in the past, but nothing like that could ever happen on the public here. The backlash would destroy any government or company doing so.
What I love about England is the attitude that it's not we who should fear the government, it's the government that should fear us.

Well I'd agree with that, but the thing is, contrary to America, the Government is producing new laws which are quelling their fears - prime example being making all concealable guns illegal - in America's constitution, due to the way they got independence, it says all of them have the right to "bear arms" due to the possible resurgence of a civil movement.

From what you've said, I'm assuming you are English and are also being asked to take part in this fucktard new survey. There's no way it's for anything other than having information on you they can hold against you. Ditto ID cards...ugh. Lame

Fact:
In 2005, the Sex Pistols were voted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. In true Punk Rock form, they refused to attend the ceremony and sent a note to Rolling Stone magazine voicing their displeasure with the institution ("Next to the Sex Pistols, that Hall Of Fame is a piss stain"). Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner read the note in its entirety at the ceremony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdnQEQhDzUc

--------------------
 -

FootLongSub Zero
The Outcast
Member # 19380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FootLongSub Zero   Email FootLongSub Zero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name Naomi spells "I MOAN" backwards [Big Grin]

I know 3+ Naomis [Smile]

--------------------
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr Emmit L. Brown (Back To The Future)

Posts: 7894 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for National     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Men who kiss their wives goodbye in the morning earn more than men who don't.

--

You can tell the temperature by listening to a cricket chirp. For temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit, count the number of chirps in 15 seconds and then add 37.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2501 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

The word "set" has the most definitions in the English language.

--------------------
 -

National
The Legend
Member # 8568

quote:
Originally posted by National:

Alaska is the most western and eastern state in the United States.

Also ...

-- If you drive from Los Angeles to Reno, NV, you will be heading west.
-- Wisconsin has points located farther east than parts of Florida.

--------------------
 -

FootLongSub Zero
The Outcast
Member # 19380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FootLongSub Zero   Email FootLongSub Zero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The soap opera 'Days Of Our Lives' has over 10,000 episodes [Thud] . To be a little more precise, it's 11,850 episodes as of 25th May 2012. The shows been running since 1965.

I remember back in the late 80s I was really sick and stayed home from school for about 3 weeks. So I had a minor stint of the Days of our lives buzz.

Also glad to say that this is the 100th (milestone) reply of this thread.... Yay!!! [Woot] [Hop] [Woot]

--------------------
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr Emmit L. Brown (Back To The Future)

Posts: 7894 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Shakespeare "invented" the following words:

Accused
Addiction
Advertising
Amazement
Arouse
Assassination
Bandit
Bedroom
Beached
Blanket
Bump
Cater
Champion
Countless
Epileptic
Fixture
Flawed
Generous
Hint
Lonely
Mimic
Negotiate
Obscene
Premeditated
Rant
Summit
Torture
Varied
Worthless
Zany

Mostly, they are bastardisations of Arabic, Italian, French and other generally European words, so more accurately, he used the English versions first.

--------------------
 -

National
The Legend
Member # 8568

This year's NBA Finals has the Oklahoma City Thunder vs. the Miami Heat.

This marks the first time in finals history (and by "finals" I don't mean just the NBA finals. I'm also referring to the World Series, the Superbowl, and the Stanley Cup Finals) that the names of the two teams facing each other does not end with the letter "s".

--------------------
 -

National
The Legend
Member # 8568

The word "uncopyrightable" is the longest English word that contains no letter more than once.

--

We pronounce the combination "ough" in 9 different ways, as in the following sentence which contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."

--------------------
 -

longhitter04
All Pro Poster
Member # 2391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longhitter04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

You also posted this:

"The longest word in the English language has 189,819 letters. Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl...isoleucine."

So, which is it?

Posts: 638 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links