Foot Fetish Forum Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Foot Fetish Forum » Off Topic » Miscellaneous » Something really interesting inside...(Random facts - post your own) (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Something really interesting inside...(Random facts - post your own)
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by longhitter04:
quote:
Originally posted by Andy-Laa:

The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

You also posted this:

"The longest word in the English language has 189,819 letters. Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl...isoleucine."

So, which is it?

They're two different things though - the longest according to the Oxford English dictionary and the longest which isn't in the Oxford dictionary - they wouldn't put that one in the dictionary - it would literally take up some scores of pages and who really needs to know the word?

The Japanese alphabet has no "L-sound" in it and that leads to Japanese people having huge difficulty pronouncing "Ls" in English spoken language - I suppose seeing an L to them is similar to us seeing Arabic and being asked to pronounce it...

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FootLongSub Zero
The Outcast
Member # 19380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FootLongSub Zero   Email FootLongSub Zero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^One of my jobs a while back I delivered office furniture for a stint in a small box 2tonne truck and I was told to head to a Suburb on the other side of the City which was a 40-50minute drive. Onece I got there I radio'ed in and asked for the exact address. I was told some number and the street "Ragoon Way". I said 'Roger' and started to look thru the road map (Ok kids, before GPS, there was a thing called a 'road-map' is what us older folk used to navigate and get around [Roll Eyes] lol. [Big Grin] ).

I was trying to look thru the index & got a radio-call from dispatch askin' am I there yet as it was urgent. I said "no" I couldn't find it. My boss sounded angry and told me to hurry. Tried again and said "it ain't on the map". They tried at dispatch and said they said they couldn't find it either and told me to stand-by. Just sittin' in the middle of nowhere waitin' for further instructions. Got the call half'n hour later it was a Japanese lady who was the customer and she pronounced Ragoon when what we were after was "LAGOON WAY" [Thud] in which case I was 5mins from there [Roll Eyes] ... Everyone had a big laugh when I got back to base [Big Grin]

--------------------
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr Emmit L. Brown (Back To The Future)

Posts: 7894 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
National
The Legend
Member # 8568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for National     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.

--

"Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.

--

Antarctica is the only continent where no wars have ever been fought.

--

When you see a man opening the car door for his wife, you can be sure of one thing: either the car is new or the wife is.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2501 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy-Laa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by National:
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.

I sooooooo want to find another one now!

London is the only city to hold the Olympics 3 times.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 2808 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

The fish with the longest name is the humuhumunu-kunukuapuaa found in Hawaii

--------------------
 -

Andy-Laa
The Legend
Member # 31511

All parts of the daffodil are poisonous. If you are trapped in a small space with one, it will give you a headache.

--------------------
 -

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Wu's Feet Links